GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

CrowleyHead

TBF, the Kanye thing was inevitable, given the Virgil Abloh connection.

And I'd rather place the blame on grime's endless desperation for outside approval.

The minute I saw people were going to take Tre Mission seriously...

rubberdingyrapids

kanye smashed it. if you disagree with that statement of fact, youre just trying to get a rise, or desperate for attention.

and he shouted out skepta which he didnt have to do, but did, which makes him a good guy.

if it gets a few extra people into grime, cool, but im not seeing that happening, as apart from the flows, its still basically a hip-hop record (reminded me quite a bit of the hardest drill stuff), the grime influence isnt that heavy. its like the dubstep influence on all of the lights. but theres nothing wrong with that. ive not been that into the anything-goes mushification of recent grime, but its still kind of a big deal if someone like kanye shows hes paying some attention. and it should show grime guys that they can get that kind of attention by being catchy/pure (eg thats not me) rather than catchy/commercial.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

kanye smashed it. if you disagree with that statement of fact, youre just trying to get a rise, or desperate for attention.

I like it fine, but all this talk about 'smashing it' is a bit much. People only care because he's placed people we like in his entourage.

Be for real, would you care nearly as much if that'd been 50 or so hired 'actors'/'dancers'?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like it fine, but all this talk about 'smashing it' is a bit much. People only care because he's placed people we like in his entourage.

Be for real, would you care nearly as much if that'd been 50 or so hired 'actors'/'dancers'?

It was about the context though, you can't really do a "what if" on it, and contextually it was really great. Don't like the song still.

CrowleyHead

Not really, its simple. If Kanye had just appeared with 50 dancers, people would've drawn the same NEGATIVE conclusions about his performance who didn't know/care who BBK, Krept & Konan or Novelist are.

Their placement makes it seem like its much more than Kanye asking his friends "WHO'S RELEVANT IN THIS SMALL NATION?!?"

Grime in 2014-2015 should evolve past swallowing for some blog posts and a few extra 100 fans who'll illegally download everything anyway.

Tbh you can be forgiven for the negativity because you're not in England but 14-15 (even '13 tbh) really is amid a proper resurgence over here. Loads of raves all over the country, loads of sold out shows, new producers and MCs coming through, loads of new DJs, loads of good radio shows.

The deep tech raves are probably bigger in London admittedly but so what. The scene is flourishing which is something to be applauded given how much it's been stifled or seemingly perceived as dead for ages and ages. Really is on the upsurge even if the forum perspective isn't portraying it as such (whether gf or here)

The Kanye thing is a social media issue but the actual music and scene is categorically the one on the uppers over the country. Not saying things are on the level of swamp81 or the generic deep house things but you can see it wherever you go that the audience is there atm and has been for a while

The only reason people really care about america is because everyone wants a holiday tbh

CrowleyHead

Tbh you can be forgiven for the negativity because you're not in England but 14-15 (even '13 tbh) really is amid a proper resurgence over here.

I'm not bemoaning the resurgence, I'm upset about the constant use of grime as a cultural chip. As an American who likes grime I know we can do better than using this genre as a prop or an outfit, so I don't like pop rappers flirting with grime, and I think grime is healthy enough that nobody needs to see terrible Noisey/Fader virus culture waste try to live off this genre.

Though technically equating Skepta's delusions of supremacy with grime as a whole is redundant, I can concede that.

rubberdingyrapids

I'm not bemoaning the resurgence, I'm upset about the constant use of grime as a cultural chip. As an American who likes grime I know we can do better than using this genre as a prop or an outfit, so I don't like pop rappers flirting with grime, and I think grime is healthy enough that nobody needs to see terrible Noisey/Fader virus culture waste try to live off this genre.

im not really sure what your issue is. these american rappers flirting with grime are in the minority. even the guys like drake or kanye who are referencing it, noone from there is doing a proper grime song. not even danny brown. and that is fine, and if it helps inspire a few guys over here, then that is also good, though its hardly going to make people think they can conquer the US, i doubt anyone is seriously imagining that as a possibility. and when you say music sites/blogs are feeding off grime, im not seeing much of that happening. (id like to see what you mean, it could just mean ive not seen enough). grimes current resurgence is still pretty low key.
BBK would never get on the brits without kanye, which is crap, but this idea that UK artists dont need US artists is just dumb. yeah they dont. but its not the pinnacle of anything. its just a bit of a boost. after the buzz of this has faded, grime will still be doing what its always been doing. theres no need for people to get defensive or protective about it. yeah it wasnt much of a spotlight, but it would still be a deal if kanye had BBK in his video. this was no different.
if US artists werent saying anything about grime, a lot of grime fans/artists would just moan that they would never get their recognition. when it does happen, we say we dont need them. ridiculous.

Last edited: