GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

As a kiwi that cracks me up... I've never managed to make it through their album.

Trinity Roots on the other hand - they did south-pacific reggae with genuine soul and meaning.

Trinity roots were mean alright.

I made it through the whole FFD album on first listen. It is a bit of a musical journey in that it's hard to separate out the trax as standalone works but collectively they bind to form a solid album. To be honest, 20 minute live skank sessions never did it for me and having done backline for them a few times I was well and truly over their sound by the time BOATS ever got round for release. Dallas does have the smoothest male voice in the land though and Mu a nice warm bass sound. The horns section can be a bit sloppy at times.

I've always dug Kora though. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82754514
They have the sort of chemistry that only comes from polynesian family bands.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I understand your point, but I still don't agree.

I guess I have a hard time with things that just become definitive because one person said it, and often on message boards there can be disconnects in the way people communicate. Especially, as I've said before, because American English is idiomatically very different than British English. Tone and cadence get lost here a lot--I have noticed that when I'm just being facetious (maybe in a performatively "snide" way for effect, sending up the fact that I'm on a message board) it gets lost.

No offense meant, I hope none is taken.

I did begin my post with 'I think...', no claims on the definitive.

But relatedly what I'm talking about is consensus, how plugging into alternative music and culture in opposition to perceived authority and hegemony can be more than simply an act of defiance but an actual escape route into an alternate reality corroborated by an alternate consensus. I think this is what 'hardcore' is all about. It may be only 'illusory' but it's not as if Grime is escapist.

N

nomadologist

That way of thinking definitely appeals to me! I didn't think you were being definitive--I thought the author of the article was. I was mostly responding to him with my sarcasm.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Your discussion requires a new topic.

And theundisputednonsense, you don't find indie kids killing each other in general, what with it not being much of a tenet of middle class living these days.

Perhaps you could equate classical compositions of 17th century France and Britain to the duel to the death?

noel emits

Amen to that. Let's talk about grime - you can wank each other off in the thought forum.

Definitely going off topic, but mate, willful thickery and inverse snobbery is not a good look.

Thank you for your contribution.

Last edited:
Your discussion requires a new topic.

And theundisputednonsense, you don't find indie kids killing each other in general, what with it not being much of a tenet of middle class living these days.

Perhaps you could equate classical compositions of 17th century France and Britain to the duel to the death?

Just to finish up then Soggy Lama.

From your perspective, grime bears no responsibilty and culpability in this instance for violence stemming from the music/culture and that any incidental violence is purely a UK class thing ?

noel emits

Just to finish up then Soggy Lama.

From your perspective, grime bears no responsibilty and culpability in this instance for violence stemming from the music/culture and that any incidental violence is purely a UK class thing ?

That's right, Grime has nothing to do with it.

You have to understand how the British working classes have been persuaded by the British ruling classes that they should aspire only to being ignorant, bigoted, violent and dysfunctional, and that anything else is to be a ponce and a class traitor. It's quite a ruse! :D

How does it work over in NZ?

Immryr

back onto grime......

dumpvalve is on a HUGE roll at the moment, theyve put out a string of great releases...

shangooli, kick off, creep, avenger, what remix ETC

definitely the biggest label around at the min

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
not feeling the wonder ep,,, even shangoli, its good but it just doesnt seem as vital and or energetic as it all used to... that said the melody is fucking jokes... did u know me by geeneus every come out?that is a sick riddim....

That's right, Grime has nothing to do with it.

You have to understand how the British working classes have been persuaded by the British ruling classes that they should aspire only to being ignorant, bigoted, violent and dysfunctional, and that anything else is to be a ponce and a class traitor. It's quite a ruse! :D

How does it work over in NZ?

Cultural elitism inclusive of hiphop, colonial oppression and good old fashioned bigotry are mainly at fault although apparently us polynesians have this 'warrior gene' which gives us a greater propensity toward violence and addiction as well.

Can't have us getting ideas beyond our station cos then there'd be no one left to do the shit jobs.;)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
back onto grime......

dumpvalve is on a HUGE roll at the moment, theyve put out a string of great releases...

shangooli, kick off, creep, avenger, what remix ETC

definitely the biggest label around at the min

I agree. I wish Dumpvalve got more distribution. We don't get very many releases out here in Toronto, although my local record store says they have been waiting on Dumpvalve packages for ages...?

What worries me though is that Dumpvalve is really the only source for grime that really interests me now (aside from JME's label). I held strong against the whole "the levels of grime are going down" argument for the longest time, but there definitely has been a drought recently.

The problem, I think, is that instrumental tracks seem to be insignificant to the barrel-loads of mediocre vocal tracks cut from mixtapes. The energy and excitement I found in grime was in the DJ mixing huge, incredible instrumentals with an MC freestyling over top. Now it seems grime is becoming hip hop's retarded little brother, and I can count all the grime tracks I'd feel good about spinning on my fingers.

On the other hand, the number of quality dubstep tracks coming out every week is incredibly high. I feel that there could've been a much greater co-existance between grime and dubstep if grime didn't veer the direction that it did recently.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
There's an absolute wealth of great instrumentals about. They just don't get released regularly. And when they do, the distribution is appalling.

And I can tell you it is not the artists fault. I spent about 6 months trying to find a reliable distributor, and I still don't have one to deal with UK stores. Baked Goods are doing excellently for me in terms of export, I highly recommend them.

But there's not really any good distributors willing to work with Grime labels in the UK. Dump Valve is distributed by SRD, but I very much doubt anyone else in Grime who doesn't have the links Geeneus does could ever dream of being able to push their titles through them.

It's very frustrating.

And on a side note, although partially relevant:

Limited <a href="http://www.uptownrecords.com/Adamantium 004 - President T EP.ram">ADMNT004</a> and <a href="http://www.uptownrecords.com/Adamantium 005 - Boy Better Know Beats EP.ram">ADMNT005 </a>test presses are being taken round London stores today.

ADMNT004:

A1: President T ft Skepta - Large Way
A2: Spider Beats - Large Way Instrumental
B1: President T ft JME - Heard What I Said
B2: Skitz Beats - Heard What I Said Instrumental

ADMNT005:

A1: Skepta - Missin
A2: Skepta - Autopsy
B1: JME - Raptor
B2: Skepta - Sonorous

Should be a few restocks of Good Old Days/Who's Mercs and Chance Us/Beef With T as well

petergunn

plywood violin
The problem, I think, is that instrumental tracks seem to be insignificant to the barrel-loads of mediocre vocal tracks cut from mixtapes. The energy and excitement I found in grime was in the DJ mixing huge, incredible instrumentals with an MC freestyling over top. Now it seems grime is becoming hip hop's retarded little brother, and I can count all the grime tracks I'd feel good about spinning on my fingers.

On the other hand, the number of quality dubstep tracks coming out every week is incredibly high. I feel that there could've been a much greater co-existance between grime and dubstep if grime didn't veer the direction that it did recently.

i kinda get what you're getting at, but don't 90% of vocal tracks out with the instrumental as well? i mean, yeah, i can think of a few records fucked up by bad mcing (chunky bizzle!), but i find it preferable to 2003 when alot of dope beats never got vocaled...

gumdrops

dumpvalve has been one of the best labels for years - their quality control is really high, and the type of stuff they put out all has a certain aesthetic linking them. im almost tempted to say its the artier end of grime production, or at least stuff thats right at the vanguard of grime (grand theft auto, shangooli, what, etc etc). i just wish they would release more. i agree there arent as many amazing instrumentals as there maybe used to be but thats not cos there arent any being made (just listen to the recent roll deep shows for incredible dubs) but just cos im guessing no one thinks them worthy of pressing up.

elgato

I just dont know
this was discussed at dubstepforum recently and plasticman suggested its a lot to do with the lack of kids getting into djing... earlier, when the echoes of garage were stronger the culture of dj was bigger, but now its all about mixtapes, mp3s, ringtones, not vinyl, and kids are either getting into mcing or producing, not so much djing. it is an expensive hobby after all. furthermore, in london at least, it seems to be much less of a rave-driven scene now following the problems, which adds to the shift. but im speaking purely as secondary source, so correct me if im speaking inaccurately

dumpvalve are smashing it. they've clearly got a distinct vision, looking to push the more progressive/curveball elements of instrumental grime. but thats not exclusive to them, ive been impressed by adamantium, particularly the production on the mercston 12 is incredible. but ive not heard that much coming out on vinyl recently which has blown me away. also Road and Soulja have had impressive recent releases which tread the line between dubstep and grime. Nothing from After Shock / Frontline for a while though? was the Big E-D EP the last bit?

elgato

I just dont know
another incredible track i got recently is Hard Dough Bread by D'explicit... never really been into the (limited) things ive heard from him before, but this one is amazing

Immryr

to me dubstep is grimes boring cousin. although that being said when i first heard about grime/dubstep (i really didnt know the distinction back then) i was mainly excited by, and buying things like the judgement by benga and skream, pump up the jam by plasticman, sholay by horsepower and bad mood by mark one.

dubstep these days i find pretty boring on the whole and when i DJ its always a purist grime instrumental set ill play now.

speaking of which ill be playing at Backlash at the Cosmic Ballroom in Newcastle tomorrow night if anyones in the area </plug>

*edit* big releases Logan, im glad those Skepta beats are finally coming out, though on the Pres T 12" i would have rather seen the track with Big H on there, but thats a minor.

Last edited: