OMM so very very wrong about Sean Paul

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's shameful but it cracks me up every time i hear it. they called it "spragga correction" on the ragga ragga ragga comp and some wag on ILM said it would have been better if they'd called it "spraggot correction". i couldn't help but agree.

Clubberlang

So is there a release date for this record? I was under the impression that this had been shelved indefinitely for the moment. The OMM review makes it sound it much better than I thought it would have been actually.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah it's out in a few days. it's good, i don't know why you would have thought anything esle, though.

Clubberlang

Eh I was mostly worried that Atlantic might go overboard on weak crossover tracks. It's happened a few times (*cough* Bounty Killer *cough*.)

luka

'steve yates is definitely usually one of the best journalists around esp in hip hop coverage.'

that tells you all you need to know about the level of music journalism in this country.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
disclaimer: i don't know the dude and want to distance myself from all personal criticism as i may run into him one day and dont want any more people to think i'm a tosser than already do. i just disagree with the review and don't think he should ever write about reggae again.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
luka said:
'steve yates is definitely usually one of the best journalists around esp in hip hop coverage.'

that tells you all you need to know about the level of music journalism in this country.

i can't voice for his writing's message, but his delivery is one of the best.

of course the elevation of the latter over the former is one of my primary issues with journalism, from any country.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Sean Paul rules, fabulous artist.

I like shaggy too, though they are not strictly comparable.

I quie like OMM but I don't expect to agree with it.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
shaggy is cool and funny and was a nice, smiley dude when i met him. then again, he doesn't have a lot to be unhappy about. i've always thought if i could wake up as anyone else, then shaggy might be a good bet.

gumdrops

xpost - the OMM has a remit of basically appealing to the same demographic as word, q, mojo, uncut, so with that in mind, it doesnt do too bad a job of expanding beyond the usual dad-rock-minded stuff (even if the fela kuti piece did stupidly rebrand him as a rock artist).

and as far as the stuff that does stay in its cosy old men with slippers boundaries, i quite liked the paul mccartney interview. it was about as probing as a ball of cotton but it made a few nice observations.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
shaggy is cool and funny and was a nice, smiley dude when i met him. then again, he doesn't have a lot to be unhappy about. i've always thought if i could wake up as anyone else, then shaggy might be a good bet.
Lol!

Plus he's made some fantastic records which also happen to be solid gold pop gems.