orson mix 30 july 2004

http://www.hfg-karlsruhe.de/~osiever/orson_mix_30_7_04.mp3

its at 128 k and 40megs

polska - sabbatical (inperspective)
nucleus + paradox - neoteric (esoteric)
lemond - la fantasy (cutting edge)
paradox - filmscape (offset)
equinox - troubled mind (inperspective)
krust - burnig _lemond remix (v recordings)
breakage - so vain (bassbin)
calibre - mr. maverick (signature)
seba - in the sun _version (offshore)
suv - woo town (vrecordings)

check for the inperspective, esoteric and offshore tunes to get a picture what youve been missing out from the good stuff if you dont know .. and there is loads more .. you just have to dig a little deeper then the average big dnb rave

Last edited:

Badmarsh

^Completely agree - all about not the mainstream in dnb - esp the liquid, headz and technicality sounds...

orson

DJL said:
That mix is great. Where can you go to hear this kind of stuff played out???

im glad you like the mix .. as blackdown said technicality is the place to go in london ..

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Blackdown said:
actually matt, seeing as you're a house man, i'm surprised you didn't like V's Liquid V session. it's essentially 174bpm funky 'ouse! (or am i doing you a disservice...)

I haven't heard it, but I'll check for it.

Don't get me wrong, I've long been a D&B fan. But I thought this particular tune wasn't all that.

Talking of funky house, does anyone think it's weird there is this whole underground scene in London that journos don't really talk about?

Grime's much better for writing big sociology type articles and making links to punk and all the rest of it, and the funky house scene has as much political substance as Paris Hilton, but nevertheless it still fill clubs and sells lots of records...

I hear Slimzee and Wiley are both getting on it too.... Hmmm.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
So MAW, Wookie, Reel People, Joey Negro etc make 'Muzak'?

I think it's weird no one talks about it because there are clubs.

And clubbers.

And record sales.

And tunes that cross over all over the world.

I guess it's probably a good thing it's not getting too hyped up...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
MATT MAson said:
So MAW, Wookie, Reel People, Joey Negro etc make 'Muzak'?

I think it's weird no one talks about it because there are clubs.

And clubbers.

And record sales.

And tunes that cross over all over the world.

I guess it's probably a good thing it's not getting too hyped up...

there's few journalists writing about house because there's nothing to say - because house 'says' nothing: it's purely functional. it's safe to mix for djs, safe for people to dance to, safe for bar owners to use, as Logan says, as 'Muzak'.

now i admit Matt when you said at Sidewinder in Sept 04 there's loads of black kids in Tottenham puting on house raves, i was curious. but i've never seen anything about it since (bar Chan's recent post). and to me the rest of funky house is stale corporate superclubs, Ibiza hell, crap 'DJ bars' and the same old disco-loop tunes since Casual started.

zhao

there are no accidents
as far as classic jungle is concerned... would anyone recommend the Remarc - Sound Murderer and/or Unreleased Dubs?

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
as far as classic jungle is concerned... would anyone recommend the Remarc - Sound Murderer and/or Unreleased Dubs?

yeah of course - classic - one of the best jungle producers ever .

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
now i admit Matt when you said at Sidewinder in Sept 04 there's loads of black kids in Tottenham puting on house raves said:
This is my point. I like this scene because you can't find out about it from blogs, podcasts or music journalists. You'd have to actually go to the warehouse, the Yacht club etc for yourself. It exists for ravers and ravers alone. Acid House was often criticised for having no agenda, the fact that it didn't have one, was it's agenda. Look at all the trouble that started...

For years, UK garage was not taken seriously by the music press, even though underneath a sound that was vocal and melodic (and for that reason, often considered a little cheesy), a vital force in UK music was rapidly taking shape. Back then you were one of the only people who did take it seriously. But because it didn't readily present itself as a story with a nice hook and an obvious manifesto that could easily be turned into an 1,000 word piece by friday's deadline, after listening to three and a half records for five minutes, and because everyone at Ministry and Mixmag was listening to hard house and electroclash, it wasn't covered the way it should have been. I know you know what a hard slog that was. This is why RWD and Deuce started - there was a gap in the market, a voice that wasn't getting heard in the music press.

I know there are already a few fanzines covering the funky house scene in London, a few pirates, an increasing number of raves, a lot of producers and a even more ravers. It's difficult to say if it will stagnate, or just continue to evolve un-noticed, but to call it muzak doesn't do it justice, it's like saying grime is a load of bass and bleeps with idiots shouting over the top of it.

Amongst the cheesy quaver compilations and ibiza fallout, is a vital underground scene worth taking the time to discover. But because no one is writing about it, right now there is no substitute for actually going out and listening to it. Not much I can do about it from Brooklyn, maybe you should have another look into it Martin. :)

toasted

house still comes out with great tunes, nice harmonies, cool vocals...

doesn't really make for exciting blogging tho does it

"yeah theres this great new house record by some guy noones ever heard of or ever will hear of again.. it sounds like other house records.. nice harmonies and vocals"

but in a few years, grime will sound like a joke, as will most silly microniches which musicnerds shoot their wads over.. and the house tunes will still be nice bits of music which you dont actually regret ever buying

(disclaimer: i got every larry heard mix off deephousepage.com and have been rocking them for years and years and still love em)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
MATT MAson said:
This is my point. I like this scene because you can't find out about it from blogs, podcasts or music journalists. You'd have to actually go to the warehouse, the Yacht club etc for yourself. It exists for ravers and ravers alone. Acid House was often criticised for having no agenda, the fact that it didn't have one, was it's agenda. Look at all the trouble that started...

For years, UK garage was not taken seriously by the music press, even though underneath a sound that was vocal and melodic (and for that reason, often considered a little cheesy), a vital force in UK music was rapidly taking shape. Back then you were one of the only people who did take it seriously. But because it didn't readily present itself as a story with a nice hook and an obvious manifesto that could easily be turned into an 1,000 word piece by friday's deadline, after listening to three and a half records for five minutes, and because everyone at Ministry and Mixmag was listening to hard house and electroclash, it wasn't covered the way it should have been. I know you know what a hard slog that was. This is why RWD and Deuce started - there was a gap in the market, a voice that wasn't getting heard in the music press.

I know there are already a few fanzines covering the funky house scene in London, a few pirates, an increasing number of raves, a lot of producers and a even more ravers. It's difficult to say if it will stagnate, or just continue to evolve un-noticed, but to call it muzak doesn't do it justice, it's like saying grime is a load of bass and bleeps with idiots shouting over the top of it.

Amongst the cheesy quaver compilations and ibiza fallout, is a vital underground scene worth taking the time to discover. But because no one is writing about it, right now there is no substitute for actually going out and listening to it. Not much I can do about it from Brooklyn, maybe you should have another look into it Martin. :)

y'see matt that's just a more in depth way of saying what you said at Sidewinder 04 - and i'm still no less intrugued. thing is my house touch points - upstairs at Blackmarket, late 20s middle class purist house bores ('yah yab Black Vinyl records man... Inland Knights yeah?'), mainstream Radio 1 dance programming etc - dont hint at the interesting scene you do. where do you suggest starting?

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
The Warehouse in Tottenham, Housology, Any House FM do. City Sounds, Release The Groove.

Totally agree with you about blackmarket. They do have some tunes there though...

Good house tunes/nights are hard to find cos house is such a broad term. It's like searching for Animal Chin...

spotrusha

this tune is so/so. what makes it so great? digital is a dnb pioneer, so a track of this caliber is expected. there's been plenty of great tracks in the last 5 years courtesy of high contrast, clipz, future cut, etc.
i'm not buying tunes or anything, but drum n bass right now actually isn't too bad.