jenks

thread death
I have been re-reading a few things - Powell’s first novel The Afternoon Men which I liked a lot more this time - it made me think of people like Tao Lin and Ben Lerner - people trying to nail what now feels like complete with all the communication at cross purposes, the ennui, fear and failure. I wonder if every generation produces these twenty-something writers feckless and slightly lost who are both appalled and fascinated by the emptiness of life.
This led me to start re-reading Alexandra Harris’ Romantic Moderns - her book about the thirties which came out 12 years ago. At the time it radically altered my perception of the thirties which I had as twee and nostalgic after the bracing determine modernist 20s. It opened up for me a whole bunch of painters in particular for whom I have developed a real passion.
Her description of the the late thirties has many parallels with now.
Got those Everett short stories which I’m enjoying and inspired by @IdleRich I’m working my way through the Simon Raven’s in publication order - I realised I had only read half the series.
and I finally finished my Anita Brookner project.

forclosure

on a related note i did forget to bring up that i read Virginie Despentes' King Kong Theory, the first 2 essays in it i felt were strong but by the mid point the book became really boring mostly banal basic femenist sex positive stuff, it kind of picked up in the last essay with one or two striking sentences but otherwise that was it.

Certain interesting points that could've gotten expanded on get trampled under her flurry of points and broad strokes(although that comes across as the point for me) and its VERY French coming from that particular art scene/queer scene punk vantage that just from that alone will turn certain people off especially cause as much as those scenes have historically been touted as radical they're not(and the limitations of that).

If there's anything this book has dome for me more than anything is got me thinking again about what it is that originally appealed to me about this particular kind of intense writing and why now its stirring up the same kind of feelings it did leaving me with things to go away and think about in terms of the world etc.

Then again i'm certain some people would say that the book was written for me or with me in mind and i'm alright with that, for somebody whose never read anything from a woman who makes the kind of points in the way that she does in the book it can probably come off as a massive revelation for them.

forclosure

I will say this the points she made about women and aging and how that's juxtaposed with somebody like Houellebecq and the acclaim he got at the time (2006) over his writing was funny to me cause i've read some of his first book Whatever and honestly i can't say i was really into it, mostly had me rolling my eyes bemoaning how the sexual revolution ruined society yet he dedicates a couple paragraphs to wondering what kind of g-string a female co-worker is wearing.

I mean him and Despentes are both pulling from the same kind of noxious well of Celine but Despentes doesn't have any of the sentimentality beneath the surface that those 2 do

woops

is not like other people
I have been re-reading a few things - Powell’s first novel The Afternoon Men which I liked a lot more this time - it made me think of people like Tao Lin and Ben Lerner - people trying to nail what now feels like complete with all the communication at cross purposes, the ennui, fear and failure. I wonder if every generation produces these twenty-something writers feckless and slightly lost who are both appalled and fascinated by the emptiness of life.
This led me to start re-reading Alexandra Harris’ Romantic Moderns - her book about the thirties which came out 12 years ago. At the time it radically altered my perception of the thirties which I had as twee and nostalgic after the bracing determine modernist 20s. It opened up for me a whole bunch of painters in particular for whom I have developed a real passion.
Her description of the the late thirties has many parallels with now.
Got those Everett short stories which I’m enjoying and inspired by @IdleRich I’m working my way through the Simon Raven’s in publication order - I realised I had only read half the series.
and I finally finished my Anita Brookner project.
Afternoon men is a line from Burton. Powell wrote a book about him during the war

jenks

thread death
The narrator of Dance writes about Burton. I think the book you’re referring to was his one on Aubrey’s Brief Lives.
the full epigraph from The Afternoon Men
“A]s if they had heard that enchanted horn of Astolpho, that English duke in Ariosto, which never sounded but all his auditors were mad, and for fear ready to make away with themselves … they are a company of giddy-heads, afternoon men.”

IdleRich

IdleRich
Particularly for @Mr. Tea or anyone else who did physics GCSE or better I've been meaning to share this bit from The Lunar Trilogy in which the narrator tries to describe his experiences of landing on the moon and experiencing a decrease in weight

BadScienceOne.jpg

BadScienceTwo.jpg

Ollie I thought you'd enjoy that horrible mangling of mass and weight and switching between grams and pounds as well just for good measure (no pun intended although it's actually quite a good one now I see it).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that weight is a force measured in newtons and the weight of an object will decrease if it goes to the moon. However, the mass of an object which describes how much of something there is - and which is measured in grams and kgs in the metric scale, or pounds and ounces in imperial - does not change when one goes to the moon or anywhere else - is that right?

And when you hammer a nail in, you need to apply enough force to push it in and the force will come from the hammer, specifically from the momentum of the hammer which is its mass times velocity and which won't change on the moon. So it should be perfectly possible to knock in a nail shouldn't it?

Also, ever since they have landed on the moon they keep wondering if there is water there as they try to clear the frost from their moon rover... but isn't frost proof of water in itself?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To be honest, I'm not so bothered about the conflation of mass with weight, since it intuitively makes sense to say that one "weighs" only a few kilos, because we can easily translate this in our heads as "the force tending to accelerate me downwards corresponds to the mass I'd feel on earth if I weighed 13 kilos, although obviously my mass is unchanged and it's the acceleration that's smaller", which would be pretty unwieldly to write or say.

Anyone using pounds and grams in the same sentence (unless it's pounds Sterling per gram of drugs) should be summarily executed by firing squad.

The point about the hammer is valid, I think, since the inertial mass of the hammer would be the same, while its weight would be far less. We're used to feeling the 'heft' of an object that corresponds to its weight under normal earth gravitry, so the mismatch there would quite probably be discombobulating.

Beats me about the frost; guess that's just an oversight? Or do they mean "Is there water here in great enough concentrations to be worth harvesting?"?

IdleRich

IdleRich
To be honest, I'm not so bothered about the conflation of mass with weight, since it intuitively makes sense to say that one "weighs" only a few kilos, because we can easily translate this in our heads as "the force tending to accelerate me downwards corresponds to the mass I'd feel on earth if I weighed 13 kilos, although obviously my mass is unchanged and it's the acceleration that's smaller", which would be pretty unwieldly to write or say.

Anyone using pounds and grams in the same sentence (unless it's pounds Sterling per gram of drugs) should be summarily executed by firing squad.

The point about the hammer is valid, I think, since the inertial mass of the hammer would be the same, while its weight would be far less. We're used to feeling the 'heft' of an object that corresponds to its weight under normal earth gravitry, so the mismatch there would quite probably be discombobulating.

Beats me about the frost; guess that's just an oversight? Or do they mean "Is there water here in great enough concentrations to be worth harvesting?"?
But you could hammer a nail in couldn't you?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
at least my use of the word was in regards to a book i was seriously thinking about not Luke doing the equivalent of when a toddler wants the show you the poo it made
The secret to luka's power is that he has no cringe reflex. None whatsoever. He's totally immune to it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh you certainly could, but it might take few goes to get your hand in, sort of thing.
This is what I mean though, he thinks a blow from a hammer would have no force cos he's mixed up mass and weight. He seems to think that its mass would have decreased so it was like an inflatable hammer.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Weight is just mass, with local gravity as a sort of coefficient, right? So if gravity doesn't factor into the formula for force (kg m / s^2), it would seem like the discourse of physics says that hammering a nail wouldn't be any harder under different gravitational circumstances, provided force is really the key metric here. Or momentum, for that matter.