Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Benny Bunter

which translation? Chapman or Pope?
When I get round to it I'm gonna go for the chapman I reckon, Pound convinced me with a few little extracts comparing them and it looks miles better than the pope, looser, longer lines. I'm not really interested in reading a prose version of it.

version

When I get round to it I'm gonna go for the chapman I reckon, Pound convinced me with a few little extracts comparing them and it looks miles better than the pope, looser, longer lines. I'm not really interested in reading a prose version of it.

I read most of the E. V. Rieu translation and it was pretty dull.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I found the Odyssey dull, too.

It would be probably be worth reading if Robert Louis Stevenson or Dickens had written it.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was reading an interesting ting about the Odyssey today as it happens, Auerbach comparing it to the old testament, Homer insists on filling you in on every single detail about Odysseus's scar, the old tezza compresses the story of Abraham down to the bare essentials,etc

version

Yeah I think that's the one I tried reading years ago but I didn't get very far. Might as well read the Wikipedia plot summary

Some of it had this comical Englishness to it. The giants coming over to see what was going on when the cyclops was screaming about being blinded all talking like "I say, what's all this noise about?".