The Unquiet Grave by Cyril Connolly — a collection of aphorisms and "mental explorations" — doesn't always work
Coming up for Air by George Orwell — pre-War nostalgia, 1930s Britain reads like 2020s Britain, but with more housebuilding
The Sun, novella by DH Lawrence — blonde gets naked, mates with the sun while convalescing in the Med

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Listening to Patrick McCabe’s audio retelling of Pogue Mahone

I read it in my Dad’s voice initially late summer 2022 but McCabe is a Monaghan man and, though not a million miles from Belfast, he brings his own nuances and verbalised ticks right to the fore. Surprised he hasn’t done more voice work, in reflection

Not a book I wanted to go near again for another decade (save it, savour it) but audible kept spamming 99p for 3 months, so you pick your battles and the text remains majestically mesmeric

jenks

thread death
Listening to Patrick McCabe’s audio retelling of Pogue Mahone

I read it in my Dad’s voice initially late summer 2022 but McCabe is a Monaghan man and, though not a million miles from Belfast, he brings his own nuances and verbalised ticks right to the fore. Surprised he hasn’t done more voice work, in reflection

Not a book I wanted to go near again for another decade (save it, savour it) but audible kept spamming 99p for 3 months, so you pick your battles and the text remains majestically mesmeric
I think it’s the perfect way to read it - the cadences, the voices, it’s a bravura performance. I helped crowdfund his new one that’s coming out via Unbound again - I still find it a mystery that it didn’t get any real traction - not even a sniff of a prize like the Goldsmiths.

dilbert1

@luka have you read this one? Authored by a man highly cultured, who hailed European art and literature as vastly superior to that of his own “most benighted, medieval and shamefully backward of Asian countries.” Historians also note his displays of kindness toward children.

IMG_6341.jpeg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just read a book called Closer by Dennis Cooper, never read him before. Kinda gay punk stuff, loads of vignettes described by various members of a loose group of teenagers, taking drugs and fucking and beating each other up, eating shit that kind of thing. I enjoyed it a lot. Dunno why I never read him before, I guess he's pretty famous.

kid charlemagne

pick what book i should read next.
white album - didion
mrs dalloway - woolf
the new york trilogy - auster
are snakes necesary - de palma
falling man - delillo
in danger - paolini
in dreams begin responsibilites - schwartz
gnosticism - walker
absolm absolm - faulkner
zeroville - erickson
recognitions - gaddis
billy the kid collection - ondaatje
dubliners - joyce
songs of innocence and experience - blake
farewell my lovely - blake

craner

Beast of Burden

Read this and then listen to Episode 2 of this:

version

pick what book i should read next.
white album - didion
mrs dalloway - woolf
the new york trilogy - auster
are snakes necesary - de palma
falling man - delillo
in danger - paolini
gnosticism - walker
absolm absolm - faulkner
zeroville - erickson
recognitions - gaddis
billy the kid collection - ondaatje
dubliners - joyce
songs of innocence and experience - blake
farewell my lovely - chandler

I'm reading Farewell, My Lovely at the moment and it's good, so I'll say Farewell, My Lovely. The Joyce, Didion and Pasolini are good too.