DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassnation

the abyss
Inca March said:
that's what's mucking it all up. makes it easier to sell to students i suppose.

i disagree. i would much rather hear the dread tunes than the grungy distorted bass techstep style - the latter is fucking boring and like paul said, its music for boys. if anything, this is the stuff that turns students on - look at the current dnb scene if you need an example.

would hate to see the scene tip any further into that, i'd stop listening pretty quickly. us ex-junglists are choosy like that.

more reggae vibes, thats what we need.

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
bassnation said:
i disagree. i would much rather hear the dread tunes than the grungy distorted bass techstep style - the latter is fucking boring and like paul said, its music for boys. if anything, this is the stuff that turns students on - look at the current dnb scene if you need an example.

would hate to see the scene tip any further into that, i'd stop listening pretty quickly. us ex-junglists are choosy like that.

more reggae vibes, thats what we need.

that dub stuff is so boring - reggae sample, b-line, reverb - music by numbers. and don't make me laugh - dub is such boys music. you make it sound like it's either dub or tech. it's not. needs more step.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Inca March said:
that dub stuff is so boring - reggae sample, b-line, reverb - music by numbers.

personally i think loefahs stuff is rocking, some great ideas with rhythm, bass and lots of space. its what got me interested, can't speak for anyone else. its what i want from dance music, end of.

Inca March said:
dub is such boys music. you make it sound like it's either dub or tech. it's not. just needs more step.

i see plenty of women at reggae soundsystems, don't know where you've got that idea from.

i haven't been a student for 15 years now btw.

give me some examples of what you would see as perfect dubstep tunes.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
personally i think loefahs stuff is rocking, some great ideas with rhythm, bass and lots of space. its what got me interested, can't speak for anyone else.

me too, for exactly the same reasons.

'music by numbers' is due to a) poor production skills and/or b) a necessity to fit into an existing template,
hardly restricted to 'dub stuff' (what does that mean by the way?)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oh yeah, i also agree, to some extent w/ mms' point that dubstep is in danger of encroaching into the sphere of soundsystems (yuh know- obssesion w/ the bass etc etc)- something that reggae by definition (but also due to its age and heritage) will always do best.

dubsteppers need to twist it a bit more

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
makin it dubdubdub narrows down the possibilities...
i'd like to see a bit more garage/2-step influence there...
fwd used to be a garage club when it was at velvet underground. there were girls there an everything...

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
oh yeah, i also agree, to some extent w/ mms' point that dubstep is in danger of encroaching into the sphere of soundsystems (yuh know- obssesion w/ the bass etc etc)- something that reggae by definition (but also due to its age and heritage) will always do best.

i was playing some dubstep to my missus the other day.

she called it "goth dance" then commented that "its a bit reggae, isn't it? how do people dance to this???"

i guess its a post-rave thing for a lot of people (well, my age group at least) - its nowhere near the level of energy you used to get at raves and clubs - i don't mind that aspect after consuming so much of the old stuff over the years.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Inca March said:
makin it dubdubdub narrows down the possibilities...
i'd like to see a bit more garage/2-step influence there...
fwd used to be a garage club when it was at velvet underground. there were girls there an everything...

that sounds interesting, what was it like back then?

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
bassnation said:
that sounds interesting, what was it like back then?

just used to be like a sunday night garage dance - had the germs of the current fwd scene there i guess but a bit more dressy, more girls. kode9 was about, hatcha was about - used to play garage on upfront fm, went quite a few times, but can only remember seein slaughter mob there who changed their name at the time to slt mob cos there was all the violence going on.

tbh many of the sets i've seen at plastic people piss all over most of what i remember from a great height - including those that feature dread tunes ;)

bassnation

the abyss
Paul Hotflush said:
Disagree. It's different, but there's just as much energy.

i haven't been to dmz yet, so can't comment on that.

i've been to fwd though - people were nodding their heads in a stoned kind of way rather than going for it on the dancefloor.

its hardly the same as dancing like a nutter for 8 hours to 150 bpm nosebleed 'ardkore and losing half your body weight in persperation, is it?

having said all that, the vibe was electric - kode9 has described it as a pressure cooker, so i can see where your coming from if thats what you mean.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Paul Hotflush said:
Yeh that's Forward. Sometimes it gets good there, but not that often. I played a gig last week in Bristol and people were pogoing...

do you find theres a big difference in crowds outside of london, paul?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Fwd>> is definately hit and miss... but the next one should be absolutely live! Dubstep Allstars vol. 3 launch party.

Hatcha's playing again, but he's playing back to back with Youngsta which should force him to play creatively. I think playing back to back is a great way to learn as a DJ.. makes you think in ways you wouldn't normally, and think really hard about the progression of the set.

hamzen

Paul Hotflush said:
Yeh that's Forward. Sometimes it gets good there, but not that often. I played a gig last week in Bristol and people were pogoing...

Were you dj'ing at Dubloaded?

I had an absolutely wicked night, can honestly say it was also one of the best crowds ever.
Not at all lairy like a lot of old skool raves, but very much for real was the way I'd describe it.

Shall definitely be making the trek down there again :)

And as for Mala, if that guy tinkers with my head again............... :)

jutboyd

Dubscout
On the subject of crowds, I played a small record store gig this weekend here in Texas, and they ate it up. It was the first bit of dubstep to tingle most of their ears and most everyone really got into it. I kinda ran the spektrum of dubstep sounds from Toasty to Loeafah to Boxcutter and Vex'd. It was well received enought that we are going to do another in-store with just dubstep. Looking forward to spreading the sounds more.

carlos

manos de piedra
Jutboyd- where in texas?

i dj'ed breakcore (ambush / junk / peace off, aphasic, scud, amboss, wasteland) inbetween bands at a show in houston a couple of weeks ago- people were into it, but at the same time, they didn't seem to notice it too much either. i had some DMZ records with me but i never played them

Status
Not open for further replies.