DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
personally i didn't think it showed off what he does best - too many digi dubbish reggae sampling tracks when that's not his strength - also shows offf the strength of the original record over his reversion.
ie smiling face - i'd much rather hear dennis brown at the end of the day..
funny in leeds seeing two rasta singing in the extra (original ) melodies when they were dancing along to his set

UFO over easy

online mahjong
mms said:
personally i didn't think it showed off what he does best - too many digi dubbish reggae sampling tracks when that's not his strength - also shows offf the strength of the original record over his reversion.

Hearing Loefah open his set that night with the Dennis Brown original completely confirms that :D Telling, I think the two strongest tracks on the whole EP, Untitled and Glamma, steer well clear of the two of the biggest dangers to dubstep that I can see at the moment - the tendency towards digidub, and new school breaks-esque trancey aggression...

gumdrops

re: that D1 12", has anyone else found that side a plays at 45rpm while the b-side plays at 33rpm? at first i wasnt sure and thought side a (degrees) plays at 33 too but it sounds way too good on 45.

i dont know much else of d1's stuff but he has a great sense of melody (its kinda what i was hoping skream would explore more on skreamism)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Yeah dude, that's because there's only one tune on the a side, and two tunes on the b side... that's pretty standard procedure for tempa.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
Ah, there's a lot to be said for quality digidub :)

yeah but seems to me that's someone elses strength overall

there are a few producers that carry it off but the brightness and plasticity of what skream does makes it a bit gaudy, it's not his strong point the techish candy coloured raveish tunes like request line are.

petergunn

plywood violin
mms said:
yeah but seems to me that's someone elses strength overall

there are a few producers that carry it off but the brightness and plasticity of what skream does makes it a bit gaudy, it's not his strong point the techish candy coloured raveish tunes like request line are.

true... his more "dubby" tunes are really fucking boring, if you ask me...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
mms said:

The "brightness and plasticity" would be that Fruityloops sheen I guess... but I disagree about his strengths. His darker tracks, like I, are where he really stands out in my opinion.

gumdrops

i do like skreamism but theres something anticlimatic about it. after request line, i was kinda expecting him to work a little more outside the perimeters of the 'typical' dubstep template. skreamism isnt generic, but its not as much of a break from the dubstep norm as i think hes capable of. im not saying he should do some weird thing just for the sake of it, but something that wasnt so firmly in the established dubstep mould (maybe this is just my bias against 'digi-dub' type stuff though)

nomos

Administrator
i finally got my copy in the mail today, and i'm really happy with it. all of the tracks have been floating around on dub for months, making 2005 sound like it did, so it's nice to have them on my own decks. skream's been so under-released to date that i see this as a bit of house cleaning with a lot of newness yet to come.

mms

sometimes
went to fwd last night - truly lacklustre - hatcha played a set of the nadir which i've described here earlier, even going as far to play a tune which used the sleng teng bassline. it's worrying, maybe the little bit of attention they've had from permanent fixture mary anne hobbes has meant a complacent closing ranks and the first touches of homogenity... hope not - i went home early, i was annoyed that it was so predictible.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yup. after the first 5 hatcha played it gnarly: it left me cold.

also there were no grime MCs there this time, probably because of Eskimo dance on the same night.

ripley

Freakaholic said:
Does anyone know what is going on with this site? this is the first place i bought dubstep records. are there otherplaces selling em for a decent price, preferably where they can be listened to? and will ship to the US,Eh?

some other folks and I (in the US) all got screwed by them bigtime.. insanely slow order, sick expensive shipping costs to the US, dodgy communication. sad, since they had the best selection, but not touching them again i think. Haven't found anyone to compete with them selection wise, though.

mms

sometimes
ripley said:
some other folks and I (in the US) all got screwed by them bigtime.. insanely slow order, sick expensive shipping costs to the US, dodgy communication. sad, since they had the best selection, but not touching them again i think. Haven't found anyone to compete with them selection wise, though.

warpmart has a good selection - no soundclips but grime as well etc..

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
mms said:
hatcha played a set of the nadir which i've described here earlier, even going as far to play a tune which used the sleng teng bassline.
I'm still very happy with the reggae influenced dubstep :). I think my favourite dubstep tune ever is Coki's Mood Dub, I'm totally obsessed with it. And I much prefer Vex'd when they're doing something like Crusher Dub.

What I'd really like is half step heaviosity with some cut up r'n'b vocals over the top, there was a bit of that on the Blackdown mix and it was great. Some sweet with the sour, y'know. I don't want it to become too proggy and boys-y. Reggae should still be the star around which dubstep orbits I think.

But then I'd say that about anything :cool: .

PS I can vouch for Warpmart's quality of service.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I'm still very happy with the reggae influenced dubstep :). I think my favourite dubstep tune ever is Coki's Mood Dub, I'm totally obsessed with it. And I much prefer Vex'd when they're doing something like Crusher Dub.

influence but not something bordering on a digi cover version using a sample as the main drive of the track - course mood dub and officer are good but they are built from scratch and aware of when things can go wrong-
coki is a shrewd producer with an original and thoughtful take on dubstep.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I've come to the conclusion that Coki is a REALLY great producer. I actually think he's better than Skream. You're right, those tunes are built from the ground up, proper nu-dub originality.

I hate to say it but I think Hatcha's DJing has gone off a bit in the last few months, bit too abstract for the sake of it, obviously the man's a legend but his sets aren't quite hitting the spot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.