DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
3underscore said:
Given the amount of times plasticman has said he is grime, he is clearly dubstep. It's like excessive denial. Nah, Plasticman is grime, Mark One is typically dubstep when on his own.

i don't agree at all
there is nothing dubby about 90% of their productions and their sound is much more grimey and energetic

3underscore

mms said:
i don't agree at all
there is nothing dubby about 90% of their productions and their sound is much more grimey and energetic

I was saying plastic is grime, inabouts having a laugh about the constant debate. Given the labels the releases are on (mainly), I would put Mark One in Dubstep but can see the points you make.

Must point out that either this page took off when I was looking (given posts between mine and gumdrops), or I was being a bit crap at reading the ground covered. Sorry.

hint

party record with a siren
Blackdown said:
if you ask Plastic he will tell you 100% he's grime. do we have to have this debate again? it does piss him off...

Perhaps he should stop giving a shit... :p

sounz like time for a spliff then...

...and don't you northern barbarians be going and putting any tobacco in it either

racket...

...see if Jasons still keen to do anything with it and the other 2 also, then get him to e mail me ;)

and i'd still like to know the difference between grime and dubstep mc's ???

Blackdown

nexKeysound
HELL_SD said:
sounz like time for a spliff then...

...and don't you northern barbarians be going and putting any tobacco in it either

racket...

...see if Jasons still keen to do anything with it and the other 2 also, then get him to e mail me ;)

and i'd still like to know the difference between grime and dubstep mc's ???

there's only about 3 MCs who work with dubstep: um Crazy D, Pokes, Beezy... they act as hosts to the music. by contrast there's thousands of grime MCs and the culture is built by them around them.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
HELL_SD said:
yup, looking forward to the box cutter album and the scuba one

Is there a Scuba album on the way then? Wicked news! Definately something look forward to..

First post on Dissensus by the way. Hello everyone :)

mms

sometimes
UFO over easy said:
Is there a Scuba album on the way then? Wicked news! Definately something look forward to..

First post on Dissensus by the way. Hello everyone :)
hello no its just a singul
dmz goat stare out this week - loefahs majestic half stepping bass tank
d1 single out next week
and scuba issue 2 out next week !
:)

boomnoise

♫
had these three on tp for a little while now and they are all huge!

it really is quite staggering the quality being churned out at the moment.

big things for 2006 surely.

i'm interested to see how many artist albums will come to fruitition next year. loefah's in on hold, not sure about nine's but the boxcutter is surely to be a defining release of the scene.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
mms said:
hello no its just a singul
dmz goat stare out this week - loefahs majestic half stepping bass tank
d1 single out next week
and scuba issue 2 out next week !
:)

d1 is at BM right now, as is the DMZ
;)

mms

sometimes
boomnoise said:
boxcutter is surely to be a defining release of the scene.

don't agree,
he's kinda hybrid in that he builds his shit with his bass guitar at the root of his tracks and also it's not as if his dubs get played out all over by djs, not saying he's not good but i don't think his record will define the scene cos he's not definitley at the core of the scene.
if you get me. look forward to the record very much though.

boomnoise

♫
mms said:
don't agree,
he's kinda hybrid in that he builds his shit with his bass guitar at the root of his tracks and also it's not as if his dubs get played out all over by djs, not saying he's not good but i don't think his record will define the scene cos he's not definitley at the core of the scene.
if you get me. look forward to the record very much though.

fair point. reconsidered, i agree. i do think it will show what can be can, however. boxcutter isn't the essence of dubstep but an album containing dubstep informed tracks will surely pave the way for album releases to follow.

mms

sometimes
boomnoise said:
fair point. reconsidered, i agree. i do think it will show what can be can, however. boxcutter isn't the essence of dubstep but an album containing dubstep informed tracks will surely pave the way for album releases to follow.

yeah i tihnk the original dubstep lp is the first horsepower one, maybe grime 2 after then vex'd who is kinda a mixture of breaky stuff and dubstep, i wasn't really feeling that album tho as it was a bit too one dimensional, one kinda focussed angry feeling, which is a bit much, a bit too much like how 2 step darkcore turned out, very male. the thing about boxcutter that's really good is he'll at least bring a wider emotional feeling and a wider use of sounds, he's more naturally an album artist i think.

...any news on a toasty album or who his next release is with ???

we're gonna release an album next year, either on a label of our own or shop it around locally/internationally...

...the trouble with too much quality is the standard for vinyl is so high that everyone ends up with the same rekkids so when playing out there isn't that much diversity in selection form DJ to DJ

and all the bigboy producers keep making better stuff while the older stuff they did which is still of significant musical value rots away on their hard drives never to be heard of...

...if the dubstep scene slows down anymore with releases by bigboy artists, it'll come to a deadstop and punters will drift away to downbeat, trip hop or actual dub music

IMVHO :D

Blackdown

nexKeysound
HELL_SD said:
and all the bigboy producers keep making better stuff while the older stuff they did which is still of significant musical value rots away on their hard drives never to be heard of...

...if the dubstep scene slows down anymore with releases by bigboy artists, it'll come to a deadstop and punters will drift away to downbeat, trip hop or actual dub music

i hear this point winged about on a daily basis. what i dont see is people willing to put up £1000 or so - a potentially lost investment - to make those beats come out.

so what's the 1000 quid for ???

just put em out there to start with and stop looking to make money of evey tune, it doesn't cost anything to post em up and link to them ...

...the more beats there are in circulation, the greater the diversity, the more accessible it is to the wider public, the more there is to hype about

if the tunes are sitting on their hard drives doing nothing then they aren't making any money of em anyway...

...are the bigboyz waiting for the scene to explode with more labels and get a massive international "buy in" from electronica enthusiasts such that they will then be able to release their back catalogue for significant amounts of dosh ???

can't see that happening...

"...but I think if the underground harnesses other technology, devises better marketing plans and expands its international horizons, it will really get somewhere." - Hattie Collins, editor RWD mag

;)

It's almost like dubstepppers want to remain exclusive, underground and poor or are too irie to care...

mms

sometimes
Blackdown said:
i hear this point winged about on a daily basis. what i dont see is people willing to put up £1000 or so - a potentially lost investment - to make those beats come out.

this is the problem,
however i'm not sure if lack of releases is the case, dmz release a new one once every two months , hyperdub average one every three or so, hotflush same, tectonic are picking up etc, tempa too so it's actually looking fairly promising at the mo i think.
its just alot of non released stuff is so good and as dubplates are the way of the scene it just kinda looks like things are super slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.