DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tate

Brown Sugar
Freakaholic said:
A German dub site talks abit about dubstep, but I nor google can make any sense of what theyve got to say:

For all, which gerafft not yet completely it, around which it goes with Dubstep/Grime/Breakstep here the explanation. (on "more info." click! - unfortunately in English...) In addition leads a new left (under LEFT) to the Londoner Underground Pirate radio responsible for it - RinsFM. (the Button "LISTS" is it...) German info. to the topic gibts also soon here. (thanks David!) Gladly its!!!

More like:

"For all who haven't yet grabbed it up, here is an explanation of what the deal is with/what is going on concerning dubstep/grime/breakstep." (if i've understood the use of umgehen correctly, that is)

And they want you to click on the button "listen" once you get to Rinse. Which is certainly sound advice.

Funny thing is that the link, which is supposed to be in English, is dead (at least it is on my comp). It does say that there will be more info there soon, though

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Blackdown said:
i hear this point winged about on a daily basis. what i dont see is people willing to put up £1000 or so - a potentially lost investment - to make those beats come out.
If the masters have some tunes they want to put out, send them to me and we'll talk. :)

Hopefully something will happen cos things are stirring now...

Mind you, there's a LOAD of great dubstep about to hit, I think the Q4 05 dry period is going to be a distant memory.

New D1 is lush as is Goat Stare as is... oh, too much...

... as is blackdown's tune, we don't hear enough about his plates on Dissensus...

nomos

Administrator
I think Chef's idea for releasing lossless digital versions of Skream and Benga tunes online was a good one as a partial (not total) response to the economics of the scene. Haven't heard boo about it for over a month now, but it would help get more tracks out in the world, serve all the people who would be happy enough playing from laptop or CD, and even give people willing to cut dubs (and those cheaper vinyl dubs) a viable analogue option. We all like vinyl but checking the fetish a little bit could potentially help the market widen to such a point where the economics of pressing become less risky. See it as a tactic, not an end.

I was gonna flood the download sites with a shitload of our stuff

but part of the hell science experiment was that i see us as high grade producers of mutant strains of the musical virus not hosts or carriers

so it's better for us if someone else hosts our shit and I just hype it

of course it means profit sharing and i could just as easy eliminate the middleman. As a model for artist selling to and interacting directly with their audience i think it's the future

The good thing about that is the future isn't fixed and depending on how things go i can just as easily do that or reincarnate as another entity and do it anonymously anyway

I do think that we have or are establishing our own distinctive sound which can only be a good thing. The down side to my antics is some are reluctant to pimp our shit cos i'm doing such a whizz bang job of it myself and cos i think vinyl is the last refuge of a dying elite still looking to maintain control which automatically puts me offside with a participants in a genre that is still so based around dubplates and vinyl

I still think there is a reluctance in the UK press to acknowledge that dubstep isn't just UK underground music and that artists who followed the sound form crap 2 step to breakstep and nu darq swing can have evolved contemporaneously with the london underground

the worst that can happen is i'm proven wrong and end up with egg on my face, so what ???

We're not going to sit around waiting to get picked up on vinyl by some hot label who wants us to adapt our tunes to fit in with what other people are doing and wait months for it to come out due to a full release schedule

maybe it'd be different if we were in the UK and not in NZ as we don't have a vinyl press in the country

it's not my be all and end all nor is it my culture, it's just something we do and are good at and enjoy

take it or leave it, I've always had the attitude that you can hold me back but you can't hold me down

hope this helps any struggling dubsteppaz looking to forge ahead

peace

chur for that bassnation. I hope so too... ;)

no shame, no game

and yeah there was an awful lot of cheesy 2 step remixes and just plain crap tunes but it wasn't until the so solid bad presss and things went underground again that things took a turn for the better

for instance miss dynamite shoulda stuck with sticky

BOOO...

Grafta

Being down here in New Zealand does give us a unique perspective on the Vinyl vs. CD/Digital debate. We can get dubs cut in Auckland but they are really expensive. Lack of a press has probably slowed underground music here for a long time.
I think the problem with digital, file sharing and what-have-you, is that it seems to cheapen the track that someone has spent hours and hours of time developing. Its the reason I take the time to screen print CDs if i'm doing a promo for my tunes. How many unlabled cdr's do we all have lying around?

Grafta said:
We can get dubs cut in Auckland but they are really expensive. Lack of a press has probably slowed underground music here for a long time.
I think the problem with digital, file sharing and what-have-you, is that it seems to cheapen the track that someone has spent hours and hours of time developing.

I remember pots from bulletproof getting me onto cutting dubplates in Auckland a while ago but it was bloody expensive, like 2 hundy a plate and that was a couple of years ago. I didn't really see the point in the extra expense if the CDR plays out fine

The other problem here is NZ on AIR only funding crap pop and the undergrund making shit music so long dominated by pasty faced indy guitar bands ala flying nun. Many of those crusty dudes are now entrenched in the old boys behind the scenes copyright collection agencies. I don't understand why electronica still gets a raw deal yet kiwi electronica is one of our strongest genres but I suspect thats why

...we just don't have the population to support a critical mass of underground music afficianados so it doesn't warrant media attention

I do agree that a premium needs to be charged for up front digital format tunes to give them a sort of prestige status and value equivalent to vinyl so a s to limit file sharing, the rationale being if it cost you a bit more you'll be reluctant to just give uit wawy for nothing

gumdrops

the mr keyz 2 ep is out now, ive yet to get it but the samples sound good on the independance site. i think skream could be sort of like an afx figure for dubstep/grime

Blackdown

nexKeysound
why is it people always want to make new talent the new AFX/Carl Craig etc. can't skream be judged on his own merits...

gumdrops

im not saying he IS the new afx (not much humour in skreams work for one thing), but for a media that seem allergic to recognising guys like skream, wiley et al, calling him something approximate to the new afx might work in his favour. obviously it wouldnt be good to have him reduced to that comparison, im just saying that between the massive amount of tracks he seems to churn out, as well as the high quality, the diversity (the mr keyz stuff is really diff to some of his dubstep releases) and the fact his stuff seems to be crossing through genre-lines as well as his general all round prodigious-ness, theres def some similarities there

edit - hes also got some really memorable melodies here and there which makes him stick out a fair bit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.