DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

ukbass said:
What is intelligent about it?
I don't think there is anything stupid about grime.

grime sounds just like a bunch of guys randomly bashing about on some synthesizers they bought from argos. dubstep sounds like guys who really know what theyre doing and have a good sense about how to record their music and play their synths and like some thought goes into what their music. it makes you really think about london living while grime just makes you feel like you need to go and sweat it out at the gym a bit or do aerobics or something.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sorry to intrude, but...

What's the name of that Skream tune with the marimba-esque riff with a very short delay on it? It might be Rottan or it might be the Ancient Memories remix or it might not.

Has it been released or is it going to be released?

Sorry, finger somewhat off the pulse here...

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
grime sounds just like a bunch of guys randomly bashing about on some synthesizers they bought from argos. dubstep sounds like guys who really know what theyre doing and have a good sense about how to record their music and play their synths and like some thought goes into what their music. it makes you really think about london living while grime just makes you feel like you need to go and sweat it out at the gym a bit or do aerobics or something.

???? :eek:

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
and please don't bring culture into it...

...my culture is polynesian and we will infuse our music with it and spirituality when we see fit, but music culture ???

ripping off global sounds to infuse your trax with some exotic quality that has no bearing on you or your culture....pffft

more dishonesty and hardly being true to yourself. Participating in the culture is not important authorship is and retaining intellectual copyright of your creativity

I'm not talking about the copyright of the instrument used or even the source material but the acknowledgement of your creative authorship in re interpreting sounds and redefining musical boundaries while knowing where they came from and why you're doing it

without that you're just faking the funk

i'm not sure i agree with this. the most interesting clashes come from a load of different influences, a melting pot. should someone have to know the entire history of music in order to make compelling tunes?

i think a refreshing disregard for history makes producers interesting, just like not being classically trained can be an advantage in some forms of electronic music.

of course, if people are deeply steeped in the history of a genre then thats good too. but i don't like setting arbitary rules when it comes to art. it just feels wrong and limiting.

and whats the difference between a dubtep producer using global sounds, and you, a kiwi making dubstep? to me those examples are one and the same. are you saying that you are dishonest for making dubstep because its not part of the kiwi culture???

just make music and let others read what the fuck they want into it.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
and please don't bring culture into it...

...my culture is polynesian and we will infuse our music with it and spirituality when we see fit, but music culture ???

ripping off global sounds to infuse your trax with some exotic quality that has no bearing on you or your culture....pffft

more dishonesty and hardly being true to yourself. Participating in the culture is not important authorship is and retaining intellectual copyright of your creativity

I'm not talking about the copyright of the instrument used or even the source material but the acknowledgement of your creative authorship in re interpreting sounds and redefining musical boundaries while knowing where they came from and why you're doing it

without that you're just faking the funk

that's ridiculous.

I'm not talking about the entire history of music just a very limited section of it, dubstep and it's roots and how it would help new producers to know them before just jumping on the bandwagon

and I wouldn't say what i suggest are rules just my opinion take it or leave it...

I am the melting pot and I fully agree about the most interesting music coming from culture clashes if thats what you are suggesting but they should at least be culturaly appropriate to you and your ethnicity...

...for that reason I'm not really into, let's say lady sov coming off sounding all patois or middle class wiggas sounding all ghetto

I've known and worked with classically trained musos who couldn't compose anything worth shit while we're self taught in just about everything, but really shifting boxes around on the screen is hardly like scoring a symphony ...

The difference with us making dubstep is, it isn't cultural music it's just an urban vibe that can emanate from any city, anywhere. It resonates with the people who listen to it and can evoke like minded emotions but even then our stuff isn't like anybody elses. We're more steppy cos of our past interests in garage and breakstep as opposed to someone who may just have come straight outta d'n'f'n'b and also probaly because of our different cultural backgrounds and isolation

What I'm saying is culture in music is a choice relevant to individual composers and they can choose or not to infuse their music with their culture but if it's not your culture, then leave it the fuck alone and just make beats cos you can !!!

As for dubstep culture ???

what the fuck is that all about or how is being poor and into ganja/garage/dub/electronica through the years any different for someone in london as opposed to NZ ???

we got hiphoppaz over here thinking they're living a culture by faking an attitude and cloning afroamericanisms they've gotten from MTV at the expense of their polynesian culture..it's straight up bullshit

yes let's just make music and let the listener read whatever they want into it but if you're making it then you are the one writing the story and you can lead the listener to wherever you want them to go but it's the difference between writing fact or fiction or as was shown on Oprah a week or so ago, writing fiction as fact to make a few dollars, theres your dishonesty

so MMS please put me straight on why that post you referenced is ridiculous...

3underscore

HELL_SD said:
please put me straight on why that post you referenced is ridiculous...

Well all your points seem to be about self ligitimisation at the expense of anyone else who is making dubstep by sweeping statements.

If you look at the dubstep wars pictures, then try and apply your jurisdiction on culture and its use in music, you may notice you have pretty much ruled out all the people who created the sound.

Congratulations. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
HELL_SD said:
how is being poor and into ganja/garage/dub/electronica through the years any different for someone in london as opposed to NZ ???

Of course it's different, your outlook and attitude depends almost entirely on your surroundings and your personal reaction to them.

bassnation

the abyss
definition of culture, from dictionary.com:

1. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
2. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
3. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
4. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.

HELL_SD said:
I am the melting pot and I fully agree about the most interesting music coming from culture clashes if thats what you are suggesting but they should at least be culturaly appropriate to you and your ethnicity...

let me get this right, you are proposing a kind of racial segregation of musical influences, where you can't use a polynesian instrument unless you are polynesian, for example?

whereas you don't come from jamaica or london and you can happily use those ideas and sounds but that doesn't count, because dubstep is not cultural - its just people smoking weed, right?

either its all up for grabs, or none of it is. nobody has the right to ring fence ideas, thats not the way human society works.

dismissing dubstep as non-cultural music is not going to cut it as an argument. people live and breath the ideas, the shared language - its a culture to them, and being contemptous of that, whilst at the same time being defensive of your own cultural artifacts is inconsistent and unfair.

Last edited:

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
dubstep

the man gets all hot under the collar about "ripping off global sounds to infuse your trax with some exotic quality that has no bearing on you or your culture....pffft". mate - you obviously have not been listening to enough hatcha over the years - i have heard nuff cheesy world music samples going on - 'listen to the maracas on that' and that is a good thing.

dubstep as a name is fucking things up big time cos it's slotting the music into a little dubby box - ooh check the reverb, ooh bassline - when it isn't like that at all - i still reckon it's garage / 2step myself. yeah there's some influences there, but there's a whole lot of other stuff going on.

gumdrops

yeah but you dont like any genre names do you? thats probably cos youre an artist, but a name's a name, grime is here to stay, ditto for dubstep. might as well get used to them, regardless of your feelings on them. i personally like Intelli-Grime for dubstep, i think that tag's got a bright future....

;)

xpost - i dont much like the 'exotic' samples in dubstep either, it makes it sound like a soundtrack for multi-kulti posers

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
yeah but you dont like any genre names do you? thats probably cos youre an artist, but a name's a name, grime is here to stay, ditto for dubstep. might as well get used to them, regardless of your feelings on them. i personally like Intelli-Grime for dubstep, i think that tag's got a bright future....

;)

xpost - i dont much like the 'exotic' samples in dubstep either, it makes it sound like a soundtrack for multi-kulti posers

intelli-grime.
anyone who uses that expression will personally be strangled by me. ;)
those kind of mistakes have been made before and should not be repeated.
what is a multi-kulti poser?

Last edited:

gumdrops

i agree. but all jokes aside, ive met a lot of people who spend half their lives travelling around the world on a one-man/woman national geographic mission and would love something like the 'world-music' (i dont like that term but am just using it here to make my point) end of dubstep to play at their dinner parties and shindigs (theyd obviously need a somewhat lighter version and the bass might be too strong but still...). im trying to think of a good example so you get an idea of what im talking about but i cant think of anything right now. i dunno, i just think it can be quite hard to combine stuff like arabic melodies with more beat-driven music in a way that doesnt sound like its simply been tacked on top rather than fits integrally/more naturally from inside.

also - just to clarify, i dont *really* think intelligrime or anything like that would be a good term at all, calling music 'intelligent' is stupid IMHO, but i am surprised/happy it hasnt happened already. also, i dont think it would make sense to call skream the new afx either really, just cos hes more from within the scene than from outside it, so theres probably other more appropriate figures he could be likened to. and for what its worth, i think the guy could turn out to be something of a genius.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.