DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
petergunn said:
i forwarded him this thread...

Dusk and I caned the hell out of 'Touch' on Groovetech (RIP) back in the day. It has not been forgotten by dubstep... it's a stone cold classic!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
SIZZLE said:
re: streets, sov, VP, etc. I'd also like to point out that I'm not actually trying to diss these artists. In fact as a young educated white guy I think some could level the same criticisms at my own music, and I don't think the artists are necessarily doing it cynically.

it's not the artists, its the industry. they've decided when looking at UK urban music, 99% of the time the black artists dont sell. yet the UK consumes US rap and r&b in massive quantities, so to some extent the key difference is the amount of marketing by the UK in either type of artists. Would the US majors really have let Roll Deep's 'Shake a Leg' or Kano's 'Brown Eyes' not be massive chart hits?

it's so tragic because if you go on the RWD forum or meet up and coming MCs you realise there's wave after wave of hungry UK talent out there - and 99% of them will not succeed. The industry will not let them through and they dont have a good enough support to build their own infrastructure. any wonder grime MCs spend much of their time infighting?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
bassnation said:
jump up used the reverse bass sound, not the wobbler. that midrangey distorted bass is pure techstep, although dubstep has managed to pull back from the excesses of dnb in that regard.

i disagree. all that Aphrodite/Micky Finn stuff circa 97-98 was built on filtered wobbling basslines which is what Skream's Ancient Memories remix reminds me of.

petergunn

plywood violin
Blackdown said:
. Would the US majors really have let Roll Deep's 'Shake a Leg' or Kano's 'Brown Eyes' not be massive chart hits?

in the UK or the US?

in the US, they would be too weird or British to be hits... but, if a US major was marketing them in the UK? they'd be big hits...

bassnation

the abyss
Blackdown said:
i disagree. all that Aphrodite/Micky Finn stuff circa 97-98 was built on filtered wobbling basslines which is what Skream's Ancient Memories remix reminds me of.

jump up came a lot earlier than 97 - things like super sharp shooter et al, which most defintely did not use wobbler basslines. no doubt that you know your shit on garage but i'll go head to head with anyone on old skool jungle ;)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
jump up came a lot earlier than 97 - things like super sharp shooter et al, which most defintely did not use wobbler basslines.

true, true, but aphrodite DID use wobbler basslines A LOT in 1997 or so

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
true, true, but aphrodite DID use wobbler basslines A LOT in 1997 or so

lol, alright, alright - lets split the points!

its intriguing that no-one has ever appeared on mastermind with a speciality of old skool jungle. that i'd very much like to see.

borderpolice

bassnation said:
that subbass drone (the carpet of bass you describe) has been about for a long long time. it even predates jungle. i've got miami bass and electro records which have ludicrous speaker busting subbass lines on them, as heavy as any jungle or dubstep. its fantastic, never get tired of it.

really? never came across that. maybe it to do with the puny system i used to have as kid
when i listened to lots of miami bass. which songs in particular are you thinking about?

bassnation

the abyss
borderpolice said:
really? never came across that. maybe it to do with the puny system i used to have as kid
when i listened to lots of miami bass. which songs in particular are you thinking about?

i'll see if i can dig out some mp3s tonight and upload to my space if you fancy hearing some. might be a real treat if you've got a bass-heavy system to listen to them on.

borderpolice

Blackdown said:
it's so tragic because if you go on the RWD forum or meet up and coming MCs you realise there's wave after wave of hungry UK talent out there - and 99% of them will not succeed. The industry will not let them through and they dont have a good enough support to build their own infrastructure. any wonder grime MCs spend much of their time infighting?

now if even british artists are having problems getting marketing budgets comparable to americans, how much worse would the situation have to be for non-english speaking artists?

borderpolice

bassnation said:
i'll see if i can dig out some mp3s tonight and upload to my space if you fancy hearing some. might be a real treat if you've got a bass-heavy system to listen to them on.

that would be great!

luka

oh fuck! i meant this to be snide and offensive! then i read this

Digidub: the occult roots of dubstep. New Murdertone mix
Wednesday April 26th 2006, 10:50 am
Filed under: General

Uncarved correspondent and reggae archivist Pete Murdertone has done a fabbo mix for Jahtari showcasing the eighties digidub sound which is such an important precursor of dubstep, and before that garage, and before that, acid house.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
found the track I was looking for,

THX - Bass Test - I Love Big Speakers.mp3

pitched and bent 808 tones with slow snares, delayed scratching and basically nothing else. Great tune, got my little computer sub pushing things around the desk. My girl got it off some filesharer so I assume you all can too. No further information from this end, think she was just searching for 'bass'.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Blackdown said:
Dusk and I caned the hell out of 'Touch' on Groovetech (RIP) back in the day. It has not been forgotten by dubstep... it's a stone cold classic!

Same goes for 'Identity Crisis' on Vehicle. I played the shit out of that one. Big up to the DJ Abstract.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
borderpolice said:

I spin miami bass a lot, seemed like a natural progression from electro and breaks, especially for a bass freak. Ive got a decent system at home, either my Cerwin Vega 12s or my touring system, 2 Bag End 1100 watt speakers with 15s. And i gotta tell you, i spun some of these tracks a party with some nice subs (b-52s i think), and i heard frequencies i didnt even know existed in the records, even entire basslines.

dubstep is the first time ive heard these frequencies again, since probably listening to atmospheric DnB.

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
luka said:

Wednesday April 26th 2006, 10:50 am
Filed under: General

Uncarved correspondent and reggae archivist Pete Murdertone has done a fabbo mix for Jahtari showcasing the eighties digidub sound which is such an important precursor of dubstep, and before that garage, and before that, acid house.

Do you have a link for this?

Edit: oh I think I found it through the link on uncarved.

Last edited:

Don Rosco

Dubquixote said:
Same goes for 'Identity Crisis' on Vehicle. I played the shit out of that one. Big up to the DJ Abstract.

That's the green on white one, right? A NY label? Someone else on the flip? I'm still playing that occasionally!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
luka said:

LOL! You'll have to try harder than that to be snide Luka! :)

The link for that text is http://blog.grievousangel.net/?p=332.

The jahtari page concerned is http://www.jahtari.org/music/tapes.htm

The styling of dubstep as digidub is not entirely unproblematical, but there's quite a lot about it that is good (though as Paul Hotflush says, you wouldn't want ALL dubstep to be primarily digidub-styled) and digidub is undoubtedly an important element of the roots of dubstep.

shellshock

Hi peeps

I work in an independent record shop & stock all the dub-step I can, but only through S.T.Holdings. (DMZ, Hot Flush, Hyperdub, etc). We sell loads so i'd like to stock more - could any of you recommend some good distributors to hook up with?

(this is my first post so excuse any incorrectness)

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.