DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Liked the review Viktor- Kode 9 absolutely killed it... with Burial, Prince, and that tune at the start that sounded like a sped up "dropp it like its hott" AND all the chrome plated jacking halfstep you could want in a record crate-- dark dark party tunes...

also "porkjacket" is a great name for a blog...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
My fellow Sheffield dubstep blogger, big up Victor, ace review, shame I missed you. Christ, half of Dissenus was at that DMZ and we must have all walked past each other!

tryptych

waiting for a time
2stepfan said:
Christ, half of Dissenus was at that DMZ and we must have all walked past each other!

Obviously we need flashing Dissensus neon badges. Or hats.

Would be helpful since I have no idea what any of you look like :eek:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Can't we arrange something for the next one though? Be really good if we met up somewhere before we went... When IS the next one btw?

(Paul I looked out for you, didn't know you were there with Marcus....)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Next one is 8th July. Would be great to meet up with you lot. Gonna be a case of getting there VERY early next time oi tink.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
OK, that's just before my birthday... That's high summer, we should all meet in Brockwell park...

viktorvaughn

gek-opel said:
Liked the review Viktor- Kode 9 absolutely killed it... with Burial, Prince, and that tune at the start that sounded like a sped up "dropp it like its hott" AND all the chrome plated jacking halfstep you could want in a record crate-- dark dark party tunes...

also "porkjacket" is a great name for a blog...

Thanks to you and 2stepfan for the appreciation. Im still finding my way in blogging terms. Though i did get put on the guestlist for a night after the promoters read it!

2StepFan i think i may have seen you briefly at one point (quite tall right?) but i'll try and scope you out properly next time! I'm probably heading to Freshen Up for Oris Jay and some Jungle akshun in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, quite tall, floppy hair, rimless glasses, stupid grin on my face, shouting out Essex jazz funk chants...

I was trying to see a heap of people including you Mark, crush was so heavy I couldn't get out there.

A meet up in Brockwell Park is a very good idea. We can all give Mark presents - very light, small ones that won't get in the way at the club. We shall all have to post pix of ourselves. Don't be shy! I got recognised by a guy who reads the blog which was nice.

Hope it's in a bigger room with a better sound system...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
matt b said:
i'm glad i was, as usual, talking shit.
iration and dmz should go back to back. that would [jah] rule.

Nah, not talking shit, just behind the bow-wave. Irations and DMZ B2B would rock.

The message from Exodus is:
"We've got 4 DMZ's this year hosting the backroom in Transmission with May 20th and Oct 6th sessions still to come.
Special guests at Subdub 11th Aug on the Iration Steppas Sound System are Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Skream and hosted by Sgt. Pokes.
Gonna be pure heavyweight.
The new event Exodus kicks off in Sept in the backroom and then in Dec Exodus with DMZ in the mainroom on the Iration Steppas Sound System.
Big line up on that one. Will be well worth the wait.

All roads lead to the Leeds West Indian Centre."

matt b

Indexing all opinion
well, i wasn't miles off then.

was listening to an iration session from about 1995 last night- proper dirty upbeat digi-dub: dubsteppers would love it.

vizzie

veejay
Interesting. never heard the tortoise reference before... obviously we are trying to sound like horsepower.

what elements are missing to make it sound more like the real deal dubplate?

nomos

Administrator
vizzie said:
Interesting. never heard the tortoise reference before... obviously we are trying to sound like horsepower.

what elements are missing to make it sound more like the real deal dubplate?
Sorry, I should have explained myself. Rhythmically, the clip you posted has a very relaxed quality to it that I'd associate with Tortoise or Ganger, etc., instead of the forward-leaning jitteriness of 2step/early-dubstep. The drummer, for example, seems quite laid back when a lot of the song's energy should be coming from very tight closed-hat play. The audio in the clip is also around 118-120 BPM rather than in the mid-130s like the original, so it doesn't have the same fast/slow tension.

I'm curious, how do audiences respond? Do they generally know the tracks you cover? I think my first impression was: "cool, people are taking an interest and experimenting." But I've also seen a lot of audiences enjoy the opportunity to conusme "urban"/electronic music at an ironic distance via rock instrumentation rather than engaging it direnctly (e.g. when indie bands "cover" old hip hop). It can become a form of mockery. I'm not doubting your sincerity, but I'm curious how you see these dynamics playing out when you perform.

vizzie

veejay
autonomicforthepeople said:
Sorry, I should have explained myself. Rhythmically, the clip you posted has a very relaxed quality to it that I'd associate with Tortoise or Ganger, etc., instead of the forward-leaning jitteriness of 2step/early-dubstep. The drummer, for example, seems quite laid back when a lot of the song's energy should be coming from very tight closed-hat play. The audio in the clip is also around 118-120 BPM rather than in the mid-130s like the original, so it doesn't have the same fast/slow tension.

I'm curious, how do audiences respond? Do they generally know the tracks you cover? I think my first impression was: "cool, people are taking an interest and experimenting." But I've also seen a lot of audiences enjoy the opportunity to conusme "urban"/electronic music at an ironic distance via rock instrumentation rather than engaging it direnctly (e.g. when indie bands "cover" old hip hop). It can become a form of mockery. I'm not doubting your sincerity, but I'm curious how you see these dynamics playing out when you perform.

ah yes. bpm. when steve, our drummer, dips in to a dubsteppy beat, he has a hard time keeping it up at 138bpm or so. the beat is not a natural beat for a human, so he's still wrapping his head around it and takes it slower to get in all the intricacies. he's ever pushing towards that magical bpm.

in general, very few people know we are playing a dubstep track. for instance the crowd at that show from which that video came, I think a lot of those peops were in to other genres, or more in to jambands.

we have played in front of dubstep heads local to boston, as well as Joe Nice. they seem to appreciate our covering of a few dubstep tracks.

we do cover a lot of edm genres though and we cover other edm artists' materials in our sets. the funniest moment happened when this DJ ran up to me as I was operating the visuals and samples and he excitedly displayed a record from his bin of with the track we were covering... Rulers of the Deep by the Buick Project. I think more than anything he was a bit blown away that we were doing that. Most DJs don't expect to hear what they are spinning coming out of a live band's instruments.

There is definitely a cross-over potential between the jamband scene and the DJ circuit for a live edm band such as Psylab. Our intentions are definitely one of introducing people to new genres of music and keeping peoples minds open. A genre purist mayb have a hard time listening to a DJ spin the wrong genre of music for their taste, but are much more open to listening to it if live musicians are doing it.

vizzie

veejay
autonomicforthepeople said:
i'd like to see you guys live. do you ever come up through ottawa?

not *yet*

we were relatively close last year. we played a show in montreal.

maybe we can set something up to play a string of shows in montreal and ottawa?

know any places where we could hook up a show?

Status
Not open for further replies.