DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgato

I just dont know
as to shackleton being 'beyond dubstep', i must confess to slight uncertainty as to where i stand

i have pretty much everything he's released and it is great, especially 003, which is a truly phenomenal plate

but with the really heavily traditional percussionist tracks, i do start to wonder whether i should just be listening to traditional percussionist music instead...is it aspiring for much more than emulating the greats and putting sub bass underneath? i still love it, but i do have my questions regarding the extent to which hes pushing the vanguard. the material i enjoy most is where he does something very distinct and fresh with his influences (i.e. all of the tracks on 003)

elgato

I just dont know
I do NOT agree about the ratios, there still aren't that many bad dubstep records coming out AFAICT. There are some ropey CDRs out there but they haven't been released. Anyone want to name names?

is he not talking about dubs?

as to naming names...

i personally do not feel anything coming out of dub police side of things (except some l-wiz), i dont really rate ironsoul/kromestar (other than his current release, but still that just wishes it was coki), i dont rate a lot of coki dubs, i dont like about 50% of what skream makes, a lot of what i hear from hench, soundproof, j-s, boka, SNO

remember, all of this is opinion, and i dont voice these opinions often

there are just a great number more dubs around nowadays that are derivative of an obvious stereotype, which just need a lot more quality control

and there are so many tunes which are clearly JUST designed for a dancefloor, going for lowest common denominator

releases wise the quality control is much better

bassnation

the abyss
Komonazmuk doing good stuff, narcossist coming along nicely, blackdown still very good (esp Lata).

benga is an absolute fucking don, there is so much more to come from him.

Hijak - sweet jesus, some of his tunes are massive, slomo junglist mayhem.

Caspa - fabulous dayglo rave business, I love it, got some dubz from him that will absolutely and totally blow away a dancefloor.

I do NOT agree about the ratios, there still aren't that many bad dubstep records coming out AFAICT. There are some ropey CDRs out there but they haven't been released. Anyone want to name names?

hey paul, are these dubs or releases? if the latter, where i can pick up these tunes? (online or london record shops)

as regards the ratio - i think you are more immersed in this than i am, but personally not feeling skream (apart from midnight request line) although I appreciate hes carved out his own unique sound and you have to respect him for that. also a little bored with the halfstep sound. i love the way dmz and kode9 are taking it - more bounce and colour and less of those wobbler basslines which now piss me off everytime i hear them.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
hey paul, are these dubs or releases? if the latter, where i can pick up these tunes? (online or london record shops)

Komonazmuk - all dubz, look out for releases soon; Narcossist, all dubz, I think he's ready for prime time soon.

Benga has a bunch of releases lined up for early next year and of course the double pack dropping now (whait I've heard is good, not brilliant).

Caspa's got a few releases out, his new one is FUCKING MENTAL rave garage industrial half step. You'll be familiar with the jazzamatazz "Bring it... down.. bring the lights DOWN" sample. I think he's wicked.

I agree that Skream has so many sides to his work that you're unlikely to like all of them - I (unfashionably) particularly enjoy his sparky digidub stuff and plastic jazz funk stuff the most - but overall I really think he's a genius, a really inspired producer. Not as good as Loefah mind, and not as deep as Mala and Coki, but still great.

Wheras Loefah... he is just... I mean... {sighs}... even when he does something which is fairly obviously not absolutely the best thing he could put out, it's still just the best music you can buy in the world right now. Like System - that end bit should have been a whole new section, extending the record by at least another minute! And yet it's still absolutely fucking brilliant!! I've got a couple of dubs of his that are just devestating. Just the best music you will hear all year.

{sighs}
{shakes head sadly}
{stares mournfully into the middle distance}

i love the way dmz and kode9 are taking it - more bounce and colour and less of those wobbler basslines which now piss me off everytime i hear them.
Well, they're just ace aren't they? I thought Molten was a bit "painting by numbers" but overall the Mystikz are just fabulous. I mean... Left Leg out!!!

Err, not feeling that Whistla one ...

mms

sometimes
Komonazmuk - all dubz, look out for releases soon; Narcossist, all dubz, I think he's ready for prime time soon.

I agree that Skream has so many sides to his work that you're unlikely to like all of them - I (unfashionably) particularly enjoy his sparky digidub stuff and plastic jazz funk stuff the most - but overall I really think he's a genius, a really inspired producer. Not as good as Loefah mind, and not as deep as Mala and Coki, but still great.

Wheras Loefah... he is just... I mean... {sighs}... even when he does something which is fairly obviously not absolutely the best thing he could put out, it's still just the best music you can buy in the world right now. Like System - that end bit should have been a whole new section, extending the record by at least another minute! And yet it's still absolutely fucking brilliant!! I've got a couple of dubs of his that are just devestating. Just the best music you will hear all year.

{sighs}
{shakes head sadly}
{stares mournfully into the middle distance}

Well, they're just ace aren't they? I thought Molten was a bit "painting by numbers" but overall the Mystikz are just fabulous. I mean... Left Leg out!!!

Err, not feeling that Whistla one ...

dmz and the hyperdub are by far and away the best producers and moving things forward almost single handedly while everthing else remains the same for a while, by so many sides to skreams work i reckon you really mean some strong some weak.

'System' and the coki tracks on tempa haven't been that strong really, but benga double pack and the 12" on mu are definitley on the up, he's a month or two months away from being up there with dmz on his own terms and surpassing skream.
pinch's lp is the one i'm personally looking forward to though.

elgato

I just dont know
disagree very very strongly about system, i reckon thats a sick tune. think maybe its cos i heard that getting dropped before mud and rufage, that for me pretty much signalled the beginning of his electro-ish tracks, and therefore a massive evolution in the sound

and its just SO big, i cant hack how big it is, you hear those intro stabs in a rave and its time to duck and cover

bassnation

the abyss

hes a one-man genre all by himself. or at least it sometimes seemed that way listening to youngsta!

i rate system but possibly not as his best tune. most of his stuff is absolutely cavernous, it takes a producer of great strength to create music as minimal as this and still blow peoples minds.

i listen to the production on tracks like goat stare and root, and sometimes hes not varying the loops or bothering with fills - but it doesn't matter. the groove is so heavy and nasty it just blows you away every time.

some of his electro-ish tunes have this punchy, almost jacking rhythm that reminds me of NY ketamine house when it was dark and interesting, rather than cheesy. root in particular brings to mind chiapet "tick tock" with its heavily quantized pounding bass laden rhythm, although i doubt loefah is into that sound at all.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i rate system but possibly not as his best tune.
What is though? I think ruffage is the best that's out... but that's not his best tune...

i listen to the production on tracks like goat stare and root, and sometimes hes not varying the loops or bothering with fills - but it doesn't matter. the groove is so heavy and nasty it just blows you away every time.
Oh, I think the arrangements do vary - distortion on sends, slowly increasing throughout the track, microdrops of beats... ;)

root in particular brings to mind chiapet "tick tock" with its heavily quantized pounding bass laden rhythm, although i doubt loefah is into that sound at all.
Oh yeah, good comparison! Tick tock is a TUUUUUNE. You're right though: "I don't draw for house"...

Thing is, I reckon Loefah will go more minimal and more electro... not that I've heard anything particularly like that (and the bug / flowdan remix isn't like that), but I just think...

nomos

Administrator
hes a one-man genre all by himself.
i often think this about him, mystizk and hyperdub. they're in another world a lot of the time.

as for loefah's big tunes - i'm not feeling the tectonic plate. that could have to do with not having heard it out, but (hides from paul) i think this aspect of his work is getting long in tooth, master that he is, but still. and with so many people trying to copy him, failing terribly and flooding us with bad stuff, i'd like to see him make a little activist switch up. not trying to sound like an old crank. but it's tunes like left leg, new life baby paris, find my way and dutch flowers that are floating my boat in a big way right now (*puts broken record back in sleeve*)

lost loefah tunes - i wish 'encore' had come out, and 'midnight' and 'crack bong remix.' those were huge.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i think this aspect of his work is getting long in tooth,
What, the electro stuff? Surely not! And who's copied that? People are still trying to do 28G, and I think we could do with more copies of that...

lost loefah tunes - i wish 'encore' had come out, and 'midnight' and 'crack bong remix.' those were huge.
Me too, esp crack bong... midnight has turned into something else which may still come out.

nomos

Administrator
What, the electro stuff? Surely not! And who's copied that? People are still trying to do 28G, and I think we could do with more copies of that...
You're right there. I think I'm lumping his work together too much. I'm not that excited by it though. I want to be. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.