DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

petergunn

plywood violin
ukbass said:
Sometime I have no idea what people are referring to when they say dubstep. Do you really think that making dubstep that sounds like distorted drum'n'bass was a particularly cool expansion of the sonic palate? Big deal? At the same time your exclaiming that 'request line' has a melody. Have you actually heard any dubstep? There is loads of stuff with melodies if you listen to some rinse sets that are around just now. I feel you're just showing your ignorance of the music by making some easy assertions, exactly the kind of assertions all previous dubstep haters are making now that it is suddenly cool to like the music. What exactly have you heard?

i don't know why you feel the need to:

a) shout down my postive opinion of Vex'd. Why do you care if i feel like they've pushed dubstep in a good direction... obviously alot of other people feel the same way, as they've gotten big ups all over the place... honestly, i got turned on to vex'd going thru hundreds of mp3 samples on the chemical records site and their shit stood out from everyone else by a mile (even on shitty laptop speakers!)

b) dispute that "request line" has a melody... it does and that's why it's been a big crossover hit...

c) call me out on whether i've heard any dubstep... should i make a fucking list for you? i do a weekly w/ dudes who play the hell out of Digital Mysticz, Loafah, Skream, Boxcutter, etc... fuck, our bartender even put out some 12"'s on Tempa a few years back! yunno back when a dubstep party had more dj's than people in the audience...

you need to chill, dubstep will keep going regardless of what either of us post on a message board... so take a few deep breathes and calm the fuck down...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Originally Posted by petergunn
in general, i think dubstep is ripe for a Massive Attack style direction, someone taking the foundation of the nasty low and mid range basslines and applying to more of a song based format...

I agree! I can see soooo many potential problems with this, but I can't help thinking it would be a great idea and could make some ace music

mms said:
this is partly what various productions do and why they may get massive..
Ah, must pay more attention then...

Blackdown:
... and their first myspace friend is... Vex'd
Right, that's IT. I want Benny Ill back on point doing dark garage tracks RIGHT NOW.

I never thought I'd start questioning the halfstep blue print so fast.

Big up Keith P for the Merkledread mix -- showing the way forward in relation to this.

Last edited:

jay-s

autonomicforthepeople said:
if a lot of the more unpleasant dnb heads (trying not to generalise here) get into it i guess there's still a simple way to turn them off: head back towards those aspects of 2step that they've hated for so long.
lol, good point.

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
I never thought I'd start questioning the halfstep blue print so fast.

its still what does it for me, over everything else - although i might get bored eventually. i'm not even that keen on the wobbler basslines (unless they are handled with sophistication like on a lot of loefah tracks). they bring back memories of techstep - more into pure fat sub.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
bassnation said:
its still what does it for me, over everything else - although i might get bored eventually. i'm not even that keen on the wobbler basslines (unless they are handled with sophistication like on a lot of loefah tracks). they bring back memories of techstep - more into pure fat sub.
Oh, I still love it. And I still love wobbler bass. And indeed, I still like early techstep -- but I can see that the formula might get rinsed too fast.

But soft! There are choons a plenty for now.

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
Oh, I still love it. And I still love wobbler bass. And indeed, I still like early techstep -- but I can see that the formula might get rinsed too fast.

But soft! There are choons a plenty for now.

funnily enough i was listening to some early dom & roland and ed rush the other day - "connected" is a wicked tune, and the break is quite complex for tech step. again, maybe you shouldn't blame the originators for all the shit that followed when people single-mindedly copy one idea.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Interesting stuff upthread Re: possible future directions for dubstep... I was ranting to my friend last night about another conception: minimal... as minimal as possible, as elegant as possible, not dark or aggressive, but alien and stark, based around the bass, not mid-pitched distorted stuff but layered sub and synth bass, as much bass as is physically possible. That to me seems the most intriguing thing about dubstep so far- the privileging of this sonic element over drums (as in dance music drums seemed before to be the main area of innovation- however now there seems to be a limit to the total numbers of different beat-styles that can be created...). Really to follow a thread to its inevitable conclusion... Room thrumming, almost holy-minimalism.

Re: Various Productions: I really like what they're trying to do (ie eclectic song-based stuff with some dubstep-centric tracks) but despite being very nicely engineered and produced, it kind of falls flat compared to "proper" dubstep, at least the 12" I've heard so far. The songs as songs aren't really interesting enough, or developed enough, and as dance music they don't really rock hard enough... kind of falling between two stools but I know lots of people are feeling their stuff, so maybe worth waiting till they put out an album. If songs were introduced to Dubstep as a more regular thing it would be essential that they really add to the form, rather than to bland it out for a Coffee Table type audience. That would be pretty sad.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
gek-opel said:
Re: Various Productions: I really like what they're trying to do (ie eclectic song-based stuff with some dubstep-centric tracks) but despite being very nicely engineered and produced, it kind of falls flat compared to "proper" dubstep, at least the 12" I've heard so far. The songs as songs aren't really interesting enough, or developed enough, and as dance music they don't really rock hard enough... kind of falling between two stools but I know lots of people are feeling their stuff, so maybe worth waiting till they put out an album. If songs were introduced to Dubstep as a more regular thing it would be essential that they really add to the form, rather than to bland it out for a Coffee Table type audience. That would be pretty sad.

I totally agree with that. I actually think that they're at their best when they completely discard any pretentions they might have towards making dance music - see the 7" with Foller/Home on there.

It's so difficult to criticise various productions as a whole though, as they're made up of so many different producers (or so we're lead to believe).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
gek-opel said:
Interesting stuff upthread Re: possible future directions for dubstep... I was ranting to my friend last night about another conception: minimal... as minimal as possible, as elegant as possible, not dark or aggressive, but alien and stark, based around the bass, not mid-pitched distorted stuff but layered sub and synth bass, as much bass as is physically possible.
I think it's being done already by Random Trio on the Cyrus EP, or at least he's heading that way. Very soft, very minimal (I didn't like it at all for the first few plays), the bass is really really low and warm. It turns out it was done before the pregnancy (his partner delivered last week) but it still has this womb-like, comforting feel to it. Not enough of the vocal sample for my taste though (so I added lots more of it in the Sufferah mix). Kode9 has some tracks like that - I especially like their version of Ghost Town, and isn't there a track with no drums at all? Bit too rushed right now to remember it clearly...

gek-opel said:
That to me seems the most intriguing thing about dubstep so far- the privileging of this sonic element over drums (as in dance music drums seemed before to be the main area of innovation- however now there seems to be a limit to the total numbers of different beat-styles that can be created...). Really to follow a thread to its inevitable conclusion... Room thrumming, almost holy-minimalism.
Definitely with you on room-thrumming holiness, but don't you think it's still drum and bass (in the reggae sense)? Or rather, bass and drums? By which I mean, there's still a lot of rhythmic experimentation going on... IMO...

petergunn

plywood violin
2stepfan said:
Definitely with you on room-thrumming holiness, but don't you think it's still drum and bass (in the reggae sense)? Or rather, bass and drums? By which I mean, there's still a lot of rhythmic experimentation going on... IMO...

i'd agree w/ that... my fav thing to hear on certain dubstep tracks is the interaction btwn the ultralow end BASS sounds and the more midrange (by default!) 808 sounding kick drums...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
2stepfan said:
Kode9 has some tracks like that - I especially like their version of Ghost Town, and isn't there a track with no drums at all? Bit too rushed right now to remember it clearly...

The Ghost Town cover has no drums if I remember correctly, and neither does Sine of the Dub on Hyperdub001 :)

They're pretty similar. Variations on the same theme... reversed subs, dubby stabs and Space Ape doing his thang.

geto.blast

snap on rims
gek-opel said:
Interesting stuff upthread Re: possible future directions for dubstep... I was ranting to my friend last night about another conception: minimal... as minimal as possible, as elegant as possible, not dark or aggressive, but alien and stark, based around the bass, not mid-pitched distorted stuff but layered sub and synth bass, as much bass as is physically possible. .

ambiant?

mms

sometimes
UFO over easy said:
It's so difficult to criticise various productions as a whole though, as they're made up of so many different producers (or so we're lead to believe).

it's two guys, check interview in the new fact mag (along side k-punk on ghostbox) :)

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
Interesting stuff upthread Re: possible future directions for dubstep... I was ranting to my friend last night about another conception: minimal... as minimal as possible, as elegant as possible, not dark or aggressive, but alien and stark, based around the bass, not mid-pitched distorted stuff but layered sub and synth bass, as much bass as is physically possible. That to me seems the most intriguing thing about dubstep so far- the privileging of this sonic element over drums (as in dance music drums seemed before to be the main area of innovation- however now there seems to be a limit to the total numbers of different beat-styles that can be created...). Really to follow a thread to its inevitable conclusion... Room thrumming, almost holy-minimalism.

i can see it going in this direction a bit, kind of mille plateaux, chain reaction style stuff, thomas koner etc but people in dubstep are either not good enough producers to do that yet or too into tunes, the pool of really good dubstep producers is still quite tiny, but very commited and confident.

gek-opel said:
Re: Various Productions: I really like what they're trying to do (ie eclectic song-based stuff with some dubstep-centric tracks) but despite being very nicely engineered and produced, it kind of falls flat compared to "proper" dubstep, at least the 12" I've heard so far. The songs as songs aren't really interesting enough, or developed enough, and as dance music they don't really rock hard enough... kind of falling between two stools but I know lots of people are feeling their stuff, so maybe worth waiting till they put out an album. If songs were introduced to Dubstep as a more regular thing it would be essential that they really add to the form, rather than to bland it out for a Coffee Table type audience. That would be pretty sad

but various are not coffee table really - they have mcs and also the presence of sub bass makes their music more menacing than coffee table.
i thing the coffee table thing is a mislabel really, and one used by people with an interest in music they use elements of as a defence mechanisim. They make good songs with interesting ideas and quality, whilst coffee table music is just wallpaper with no need for any qualities except for a patina of air brushed fashionability, and subcutural leeching.
One thing that they have proved in reverse over the series of 7"s they've done is that dubstep can take interesting vocal elements over the top and make it work, and also that huge sub bass will always sound menacing and heavy whatever..

Blackdown

nexKeysound
gek-opel said:

re this idea did you see my recent Pitchfork point about how Coki DMZ's beats sound over a big system?

...a new Coki riddim that wobbled the b-line until the roof shook. With the drums almost inaudible, it was almost like a beatless Wiley Devil Mix, but with the synths driven from East London through the dark, choking Blackwall tunnel into Southside Croydon-style sub bass regions. When Wiley did it in early grime circa 2003 it was the MC's bark that drove the rave. In dubstep 2006, excessively mutating bass waves do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.