DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tate

Brown Sugar
bbsrecordings said:
Continuing the series and due for release on September 12th, we have two more installations of the series. Dubstep, the second edition of Science Faction, features exclusive tracks from two of the most cutting edge labels in electronic music today; Planet Mu and Hotflush. The mix boasts tracks from an all-star line-up including: Scuba, Pinch, Distance, Hatcha, Bnega, Vex’d, Loefah and Mark One.
C/Dizzle said:
is it getting a wide distro, or will we have to pick it up straight from the label?
at the moment, there will be no distro outside of north america, unfortunately

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Just heard this record....

Not exactly dubstep, but probably a forerunner:

Artwork - Red Ep on Big apple.

http://www.discogs.com/release/82528

Actually heard it on pandora from the bugz in the attic fabric live mix.

does anyone know where i can find it?
is this another record that is going to haunt me for a long time (like Skream's Acid People, which I still havent found)?

spoke too soon..... just nabbed it off of GEMM. Not sure if i paid too much for it.....

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Early dubstep. It's actually on Tempa's Roots of Dubstep compilation which is just about to come out. It was originally on Hatcha's Big Apple label where Benga, Skream and Digital Mystikz all started out. You can still grab a copy of the original vinyl at Independance Records.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
thanks.

Big Apple was the first name i ever heard of when i discovered dubstep.

here, i think i saved the article....

ok, i didnt save the URL, but copy n pasted sections of the article into a notepad to later remember the names. you gotta understand, this was several years ago, and i discovered it searching for news on "dark breaks"

--------
Hatcha, Benga, Skreams, Menta, Jayda Flex, Plastic Man, Kode 9, Digital Mystikz: there are many key players.
But none make dubwise sounds and textures quite like Benny Ill and Lev Jnr aka Horsepower Productions…

A far cry from garage’s bling bling, this new generation of roducers are using cheap computers and soft studios to drive garage into darker territory. Growling bass drones and lurching rhythms flashback to the darkness of the early junglists. Only rarely do vocals invade the mix, and even then it’s disembodied film samples or severely cut-up song snippets. Based around the 200-capacity Forward club night at Plastic People in London, along with associated labels like Tempa, Soulja and the Big Apple shop in Croydon, they’ve created one of the most exciting electronic offshoots in years.

Zed Bias is probably the most talented producer in the scene. Like creative people everywhere, his hands are wedged in many pies – whether it’s syncopated bliss from Maddslinky, the broken beat/jazz funk of Phuturistix, sinister skanking beats as Nu Design, bass heavy breakbeat as Daluq, or drum’n’bass and grinding 2 step as Es Dubs and Zed Bias - Dave Jones has worked with a truckload of talented people over the past few years, and is the producer
I would recommend as a first stop for any music heads interested in exploring this further.

Other producers of the rough, scuffed beats are El-B (who’s recently turned in garage collabs with Karl ‘Tuff Enuff’ Brown), anything by Horsepower Productions and Benny Ill, Kode 9 (who runs the wicked hyperdub website), Oris Jay (who also rocks breaks as Darqwan), DJ Hatcha (resident DJ at the monthly Forward nights), and the darkside garage of Artwork. Coming from slightly outside, check the dancehall devastation of The Bug (otherwise known as techno/hip hop/noise producer Techno Animal). New labels are popping up all the time, but the key ones to check are Soulja, Tempa, Vehicle, Big Apple, Shelflife, Ghost, Bingo and Road.
------------

DJ PIMP

artwork was my pick for the producer behind the burial lp... given some of the tracks had very artworky beats and similar basic channel type synths allbeit smothered with dandruff.

what has he been doing lately?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
DMZ feature in this months Wire... best quote? Mala: "Every time I think about an album I think of reasons not to do one..." well if it avoids what Blackdown describes...

"The album’s lowlight is "Summer Dreamz", purveying exactly the kind of contrived artistic values the rest of Skreamz’ album, with all its dancefloor might, eschews. Built around Rhodes chords, a 2step beat and a meandering live trumpet solo, it is eight minutes of "jazzy" coffee table fodder best left to late '90s dance producer longplayers."
... its all good!;)

benjybars

village elder.
Fwd>>

Slightly random question, but how regularly does skepta (or any other mc's apart from crazy D) spit at FWD?? I went for the first time last week and had such a wicked night:) :) .. but I was slightly dissapointed that skepta didn't suddenly take the mic and go mental. Apparently Ms Dynamite spat some bars at FWD recently?!

boomnoise

♫
Slightly random question, but how regularly does skepta (or any other mc's apart from crazy D) spit at FWD?? I went for the first time last week and had such a wicked night:) :) .. but I was slightly dissapointed that skepta didn't suddenly take the mic and go mental. Apparently Ms Dynamite spat some bars at FWD recently?!

Skepta is banned from FWD. Long story.

Ms Dynamite was there not that recently.

MCs are down FWD far less frequently these days. Your best bet is to head down when Tubby is playing coz he's most likely bring d double and the generals.

nomos

Administrator
skepta, riko and dogz last summer ruined me. razed me to the ground. it was like the perfect mixture that night. slimz and geeneus on the decks between ntype and youngsta/crazy d sets. if that turns out to be the only time i make it there (i'm trying, but..) i won't be sad. really really want to hit up a BASH though.

Numbers

Anyone else found Sherburne's review (latest Wire issue) of the new Appleblim so spot on? Not only as a review of the 12", but as a review of the whole genre.

Dubquixote

Submariner
"The album’s lowlight is "Summer Dreamz", purveying exactly the kind of contrived artistic values the rest of Skreamz’ album, with all its dancefloor might, eschews. Built around Rhodes chords, a 2step beat and a meandering live trumpet solo, it is eight minutes of "jazzy" coffee table fodder best left to late '90s dance producer longplayers."
... its all good!;)

I'm equally squeamish about coffee table jazz fodder but I have to say I think the tune is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.