Great 2 Step?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I expect they asked him to do a list of 2-step records and he had fave tunes which didn't quite fit that.

ripley

oh yeah, he's from boston, actually. but he does stuff with deepsix who's in southern ontario. nice chaps :D truly old school north american uk garage heads.

Man, G Notorious, know him from wayy way back. There's a photo of me at Jungle Roots in Boston (big up Al Fougy) that he took that was in URB (back when urb was you know, worth having a look at). I knew him first as a photographer, then a drumnbass dj, then it was 2-step all the way. man's been around a while! good to see him getting some stuff out there.

Logan

Grime Guru
I expect they asked him to do a list of 2-step records and he had fave tunes which didn't quite fit that.

Not like there aren't 20 2 step records that were great. The Grime entries were fantastic also.

Should just get someone to do a primer who knows what they are talking about for those type of things. Too much gimmickery in music journalism these days.

viktorvaughn

He also has Big Mic Man, surely not a 2step record in any normal sense? And that Azzido Da Bass Dooms Night is a big growling 4/4 stomper is it not? He should have just done top 10 garage trax.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Naturally he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about - even I can claim greater knowledge. It's disappointing from a group who claim to have been influenced by 2-step, and anyone who doesn't include a mention of 'Your Mind, Your Body, Your Soul' wasn't really listening (imho). Actually, are even more than half of these records 2-step?

"When I first heard 2-step I didn't really understand the swing of it" - this is worrying. Like, what did you not get?

BUT, better that 2-step is namechecked in publications like these, than being completely forgotten by the mainstream(ish) media. Maybe some kid will discover some of those records and create something amazing.

Ory

warp drive
And that Azzido Da Bass Dooms Night is a big growling 4/4 stomper is it not?

Kind of new schoolish breaks imo.

Yeah, pretty disgraceful list for what it's supposed to be about. Not a single El-B tune, and you'd think at least one of Gurley's remixes would make it on there. Dem 2?

Half the list is proto-grime. :eek:

Nomos, any chance you could re-up that United Vibes Dubstep history mix? I already have the one with a lot of el-b tunes on it but not the one you posted.

Na i have that, it's this one i want

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudder
locked in. It's funny, when I read this, i was listening to United Vibes Dubstep history mix.

it's fantastic isn't it? for anyone who wants it, check here:
http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14860

tracklist:
Ramsey & Fen & MJ Cole - "Underground Explosion"
Greg Stainer & MJ Cole - "Closer"
Todd Edwards - “Steal U’re Heart”
Sunship - “Sun Funk”
Jason H & MJ Cole - "Control"
24Hr Experience – “Jazz From the Heart”
Todd Edwards - "Winter Behaviour"
DJ $ki – “I Need You 98”
DJ Speedy – “The Harder They Come”
Tuff Jam - "Tumblin Down"
Matt Jam Lamont- "Feel My Love"
Dj $ki- “Do it : To – Nite”
Daniel Ward & Hermit – “Step to it”
Ant Hill Mob - "Player”
Groove Chronciles - “Nobody But You”
Smokin Beats - "Look Who's Lovin Me"
Jason Kaye & Steve Gurley - "Set It Out"
Rocksteady – “Watcha Gonna Do”
Todd Edwards - "The Dream"
R.I.P. – “Burning Up”
R.I.P - "Obsessed"
Jeremy Sylvester - "Stay"
KMA - "Cape Fear"
Tuff Jam - "Experience" (New Horizons Rmx)
? ? - ? ? (Duty Free)
Jeremy Sylvester - "Crazy Dub"
High Times - "Feel It"
Ordinary People – “Baby You Make My Heart Sing”
New Horizons - "Find The Path" (Tuff Jam mix)
Tuff Jam - “Out of my Head 97”
R.I.P – “Players”
Groove Chronicles – “Voices”
Louie Vega & Kenny Gonzalez – “No Cure”
Anthill Mob - "X2C"
NCA – Goodbye (Laurence Bagnall mix)
Ordinary People - “Keep your Love”
Big Bird – “Flav”
Anthill Mob - “Enchanted Rhythm”
? ? - ? ? (G.O.D. 4)
Dem 2 - "Beautiful People"
Groove Chronciles - "Hold On"
Smokin Beats - "Jazz House"
Ordinary People - "I Need"

I might be getting the wrong person here, but I seem to remember Shiels as being from Belfast? You know that Mala is playing the Black Box on Saturday.

I do Owen! Can't wait. are you going? I'm gonna head down for the record/zine fair beforehand too.. 1-6pm free in.