Benny Bunter

Bilingual editions or nothing imo. Even if you don't understand a single word of the original.

Prynne might as well be in a foreign language most of the time.

luka

theres never been a good spanish language poet. theyre all hysterical teenage girls.

Benny Bunter

Had a feeling you'd pop up to say that!

I think it's unfair of course. There's quite a lot of similarities between Rimbaud and Lorca actually.

Benny Bunter

Ok, that was fairly blatant provocation I admit.

Don't you find Rimbaud hysterical too though? It's not necessarily a bad thing imo

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not a fan of the concept either but it does make me wonder if there's an art to reading poetry that could survive even if AIs were writing it.

I suppose the reading of AI poetry would have to dispense with the notion of a 'motivation' on the poet's part, an 'intent' beyond replicating some sort of formal model (although you could probably say the same of some human poetry lolz) – and it would become about what is the effect of the way these words have been put together by HAL9000 on me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Early on this thread is a window into my discovery of poetry and of my former playful and innocent relationship with Luka 🥲

catalog

I wrote "Corpsey is the archetypal straight man" in my notebook today

(spent ages wondering why "straight" was spelt like that. Seems unnecessarily complicated)

Benny Bunter

Having a second go at reading a season in hell today and it must have caught me in the right mood cos I'm loving it this time. It races along at incredible speed with never a dull moment. Posting this now cos I've had to stop to catch my breath, woo! It has a similar demonic energy to it as Blake's marriage of heaven and hell, but with the speed and intensity ramped up to 11.

Benny Bunter

It pulls the rug out from under your feet with every single sentence, there's absolutely no stable ground whatsoever but there's this incredibly powerful trajectory to it at the same time, so you get carried, dragged, pushed and launched to god knows where