john eden - old skool dark ambient mix

john eden

male pale and stale
window.jpg

Now downloadable from uncarved.org...

Some droney stuff, some post-industrial, post-punk, spoken word, etc. Tracks from the 1960s to the 1990s.

More details here: http://uncarved.org/blog/?p=790

I've also done a 4 page pdf of scans and sleevenotes this time. :cool:

If you liked Droid's recent shawntological mix and Paul Meme's ambient industrial mix of yesteryear, then you may like this. Don't expect any reggae this time, though!

D

droid

This mix is the first one I ever recorded, back in 1998.

Dark Ambient? First Mix? Blood Records?

Once again we've got some seriously strange sychronocity business going on here Eden...

Kinda freakin me out!
xyxnervous.gif

jenks

thread death
Thanks for this.
looking forward to hearing it once the working day is done - although i think a bit of darkest ambient might do my classes the world of good

D

droid

Interesting listen John. A bit too much vocal and 'real band' action for me to rave to it perhaps. We were going to use a few vocals in the shwantology mix, but the whole Eno thing of re-contextualising the music and putting a 'figure into the landscape', put me off - and I think the last section suffers because of this - you cant hear the music because the speech pushes it back so much. I also briefly amused myself with the thought that it was yourself doing some off-the-cuff literary MCng!!

The blood tune sounds great btw... and all in all, its a very together first mix, thematically and texturally (the really important things in other words).

What happened to all that potential eh? :D

john eden

male pale and stale
Heh heh...

Interesting about the vocals - you are probably right, but I don't think many people would listen to something entirely filled with drones and wooshy noises more than once - I think the vocals hook people in. Certainly with the long spoken word bit I wanted the music to act as a soundtrack to it rather than the reverse, cos I really like it...

Maybe I'll do something less accessible at some point. :cool:

droid said:
What happened to all that potential eh? :D

I think I must have buried it under a pile of red stripe cans, JA sevens and nappies. :)

D

droid

john eden said:
Heh heh...
but I don't think many people would listen to something entirely filled with drones and wooshy noises more than once...

Ouch! Thats Shwantology down the toilet then... ;)

I reckon the opposite might well be true. That the lack of a hook (or any kind of 'foreground') allows for a more amorphous listening experience which allows you to pick out different elements depending on how, where and when you listen... ...but then again, the audience I have in mind is made up of burnt out soundboys and ravers like myself, so the more tranquil the better...

john eden

male pale and stale
You are probably right, but big words like "amorphous" are making my head hurt today.

I think I need a lie down.

polystyle

Cold and noisy

Hey John
Thanx for the mix , it went well with the ice and snow today
Thot's ...

* Fad Gadget . Tops creator , we used to all listen to Fad , then he did Collapsing' and we could all laugh with that one too , think I caught a show here bk in that day ... RIP Frank

* Saqqara Dogs - One of the guys Bond Berglund , as i recall it was used to be here in NYC and used to see him , knew him enough to see what he was doing and all . Remember when he was doing the Dogs - but this was the first time I did hear them ...t'was a nice track.

*PIL . Reminded me of being at their loft on 19th St. (one block above the Roxy) , so influential in their day.

Had fun listening , and this is from someone who did gigs with Whitehouse bk in 1983 , stayed inside Tier 3 as NON 'played' (blasting jet take off for 20 minutes more like it) , and had SPK staying at his place
and so on .
Cheers John

polystyle

Yea, memories of real people
making edge and not often profitable sounds - music
and sticking with it (Fad Gadget/Nocturnal Emissions /This Mortal Coil/Nurse With Wound)
until they became genre icons ( small or large... did it their way).

I remember the seemingly open space that opened in the line between Industrial and post- Industrial,
the *hit feeling when Trent Reznor was on cover of Spin with tag 'Father of Industrial'
(not ALL that ) and some explaining to fans, friends and writers who asked 'well, what is post Industrial ?'