luka

He was very open when he first joined actually. Very trusting you weren't here so you don't remember, his real name is Edward

IdleRich

IdleRich
basically theres a notion here which presupposes a kind of magic, like theres a set of levels where you can stack complexity together and at a certain point it transforms itself into something completely different
But isn't that what happened with evolution? If humans do indeed have free-will which I'm guessing you're assuming here.

catalog

that spinal catastrophe book on urbanomic sort of also debunks evolution by natural selection as well, it makes you think it's just a nineteenth century pipedream like the recapitulation theory. convenient theory that wraps things up all nice for us and puts us at top of tree where we wanna be.

catalog

but there is a certain key issue around causation, the whats the point bisness. i was reading something interesting about this the other day, oh yeah, this tournier book. i'll see if i can find it.

vimothy

yurp
That the actual new is unforeseeable? Cause we can only draw from what we know, and thus only have old tools to describe the new? Prognosis only has the old at is disposal when approximating the new?
it's not a question of AI being new - it's whether it is in fact possible, or plausible. what you are proposing is that a deterministic process, at a sufficient level of complexity, will escape its determinism somehow, and become non-deterministic. but there's no precedent, or theoretical explanation, for this. it's just a counter-intuitive notion, which for whatever reason you find appealing

vimothy

yurp
But isn't that what happened with evolution? If humans do indeed have free-will which I'm guessing you're assuming here.
is that what happened with evolution? there were a bunch of mathematical functions which got more complex somehow and then became humans?

catalog

anyway, point is AI is

it's not a question of AI being new - it's whether it is in fact possible, or plausible. what you are proposing is that a deterministic process, at a sufficient level of complexity, will escape its determinism somehow, and become non-deterministic. but there's no precedent, or theoretical explanation, for this. it's just a counter-intuitive notion, which for whatever reason you find appealing
it's a lovely death fantasy for us, we lap it up

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Well I'd be more inclined to
Me and vim don't believe in evolution. It's a load of bollocks that theory
Yeah I'm currently working within a framework that has the human evolving all way up from basic particles. So evolution into and through the biological.

@vimothy I think part of the issue here is that I defer to a (dilettante's) language of programming when considering these cosmological things, because I think it provides a useful schema of how order can progress on its own once it is initiated. Not sure how well I worded this.

And I also have the tendency to indulge speculative foundations for a theory, just in the interest of exploring the possible consequences, and I often lose track of where the provisional foundation is. In this case, the provisional foundation would involve enough fuel to run some kind of universe-routine, in the interest of farming/cultivating intelligence.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I mean that an increase in complexity seemingly begat first life and then free-will.
This would be near my understanding of a materialist cosmology, which is largely what I think is worth exploring. Materialist in such a way as to believe in science for the most part, without being confined by scientism.