That’s my experience too. More that people I know who flirted with that weird stuff or seemingly harmless alt interests have been swung to the right in a pretty short space of time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hardly a new thing, though. Nazis were mad on UFOs, Atlantis, hollow earth hypothesis, mystical life forces and god knows what else a hundred years ago.

luka

yeah but we are talking about a very sudden switch of allegiences happening over a very short period

luka

very marked. as if there had been some shuffling of the pack at a higher level of cosmic organisation

mixed_biscuits

sufi

lala
That’s my experience too. More that people I know who flirted with that weird stuff or seemingly harmless alt interests have been swung to the right in a pretty short space of time.
i wish you mentioned this before you could have saved us 95 pages of headbangining

sufi

lala
The Left's progress, originally the product of open-minded dissent and exploration, has ossified into a dogma that leaves no room for alternative thinking.
the right have become the freethinking freewheeling libertarians , while the left have become the prudes, socially conservative and fearful, total reverse from how it used to be
or something

version

i wish you mentioned this before you could have saved us 95 pages of headbangining

7-beavis_and_butthead_headbanging-1423080417.gif

It’s very sad for me. Seeing people become paranoid and hysteric, change in their personality, alienating others, difficult to connect with, and it’s not easy to guide people out of.

Interest is harmless but some people tip over into this almost pathological state. I think it’s an emotional and addictive issue, as much as it’s about politics, misinformation or technology

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's a way of dealing with the slow deterioration of your reality. Sequester into a world where things make some kind of dark and twisted sense

luka

well you always had that slide into paranoia as an established pathway but im talking about the capture of the paranoid by a political bloc

luka

and the use of their platforms to promote a political agenda. in the way Alex Jones was co-opted by Trump/

luka

but this is happening not just with behemoths like Jones who has huge reach and influence but all across the board. with really quite small twitter accounts and so on. they all run Trump propaganda along with chanelled messages from the Pleiadians

luka

and, given this is the conspiracy thread, its worth asking how much of this is organic and how much of it is the work of strategy and planning from vested interests.

version

I struggle to take a lot of it at face value. I know there are lots of stupid people out there, but so many of the accounts don't read like stupid people. They read like machines pretending to be stupid people. There's a certain friction and incongruity to the way they post that you don't often get with actual human beings. The spelling and turns of phrase are just that bit too awkward to be convincing.

We know from Cambridge analytica that targeting based on personality profile works. So there’s the identification and conversion of the paranoid or those likely to be receptive based on their interests. But these propensities can be amplified and manufactured and reinforced too along an engagement ratchet.

version

Internet trolls
Main article: Troll (Internet)

Recent studies have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism. The 2013 case study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities and the 2014 survey indicated that trolling is an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism. Both studies suggest that this trolling may be linked to bullying in both adolescents and adults.