Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

matt b

Indexing all opinion
my better half said 'spaceape' sounded like faithless. oooooof!

Last edited:

Tim F

This is the mix-tape I made to "explain" Burial to a friend:

1) Nu-Birth - Anytime (Dem 2 Nice & Sleazy Mix)
2) Horsepower Productions - Fist of Fury
3) Skream - Midnight Request Line
4) Wiley - Pick Yourself Up (Target Instrumental Mix)
5) Aaliyah - We Need A Resolution
6) Tricky ft. PJ Harvey - Broken Homes
7) Donnacha Costello - Dry Retch
8) Pole - Tanzen
9) Rhythm & Sound - Truly (Vladislav Delay Remix)
10) Dillinja - The Angels Fell
11) Hidden Agenda - Dispatch #2
12) DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again
13) Johnny Dark - HCD #2

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tim F said:
This is the mix-tape I made to "explain" Burial to a friend:

1) Nu-Birth - Anytime (Dem 2 Nice & Sleazy Mix)
2) Horsepower Productions - Fist of Fury
3) Skream - Midnight Request Line
4) Wiley - Pick Yourself Up (Target Instrumental Mix)
5) Aaliyah - We Need A Resolution
6) Tricky ft. PJ Harvey - Broken Homes
7) Donnacha Costello - Dry Retch
8) Pole - Tanzen
9) Rhythm & Sound - Truly (Vladislav Delay Remix)
10) Dillinja - The Angels Fell
11) Hidden Agenda - Dispatch #2
12) DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again
13) Johnny Dark - HCD #2

you made a burial-explanation mixtape without any El-B?!

bassnation

the abyss
greeneyes said:
I'd much rather "Prayer" wasn't on there.

Prefer less obvious Massive Attack references thanks very much. (or did massive attack sample the same source and I'm not aware of it?)

no, burial sampled massive attack - sounds like it anyway.

but hey, it sounds wicked to me. whats wrong with massive attack? they were and are hugely influential. there was life in uk dance music before dubstep you know. the future does not require an amputation of the past to stand on its own merits.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with that... at their best Massive Attack were bloody great (though now unfashionable...) and Angel was one of their decent tracks... if Burial is reminiscent of the best bits of the Bristolian gloom-merchants, who cares, providing you enjoy the sounds and rhythms themselves?

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Surely Teardrop not Angel? (Actually I hadn't noticed until I read this thread and I'm still unconvinced.)

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I'm not sure he sampled Massive Attack, maybe just the same break, and gave it that 'heartbeat' treatment.

I like Prayer a lot.

Tim F

"you made a burial-explanation mixtape without any El-B?!"

Martin I would definitely have included El-B but I no longer have any non-mixed/non-vinyl El-B tracks sadly! Most of my 2-step fandom was via a mixture of mix-CDs, downloads and the ocassional piece of vinyl that found its way to Australia. Then I lost a whole heap of 2000/2001 era stuff in a harddrive meltdown a few years ago, and it's not exactly easy to track down - in fact it's been a great source of frustration for me for many years. Maybe things are different in the UK though.

I think that while Tempa is on a "Roots of Dubstep" tip they should totally license and release an album of all the Ghost tracks.

Tim F

They could throw on the Southwest and Shelflife and Turn-U-On tracks too, make it a double cd retrospective of proto-dubstep.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Tim F said:
I think that while Tempa is on a "Roots of Dubstep" tip they should totally license and release an album of all the Ghost tracks.

I agree. I would buy an album with Ghost tracks in a second.

Last edited:

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
Logos said:
I'm not sure he sampled Massive Attack, maybe just the same break, and gave it that 'heartbeat' treatment.

I like Prayer a lot.

Listen closesly and you'll hear that it is exactly the same break, chopped up, rearanged and perhaps timestretched/pitchshifted. Even the "trademark" warmth and background crackle is lifted from Teardrop.

Nothing against Massive Attack OR Burial, but it annoys me a bit.

boomnoise

♫
Tim F said:
They could throw on the Southwest and Shelflife and Turn-U-On tracks too, make it a double cd retrospective of proto-dubstep.

Now That's What I Call Proto-Dubstep Volume 1 ;)

Great idea though.