Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

hyphy isnt going to spread out of the bay and catch on that much like most things out of the bay. the bay has always had a lot of great regional styles/artists that havent really done that well outside of their local base. or at least not until years later (like how too short eventually started getting namedropped and featured by jay-z years after his peak etc). and to be honest, hyphy is a very incremental step to the left from everything else thats happening in mainstream hip hop. yeah i like the fact its 'fun' and focused on that with so much energy but er, its not like hip hop hasnt been focused on 'fun at all costs' in the last decade, has it?! the energy and relative 'innocence' is great in hyphy (both in the beats and the rapping) but it does - as said upthread - somehow feel a bit vapid. it leaves no real lasting effect on you. that said, that newish federation track (even with the cheesy sample!) is fucking terrific. their rapping on it rivals the clipse for viciousness.

budub

la di da
i dont see how someone can say hyphy hasnt spread. you can see the influences of the bay and hyphy all over the place: on television, in magazines, in underground [and now mainstream] hip hop, even in clothing. for fucks sake, youve got Shadow and the Automator signed on. not to mention a handful of other less mainstream producers. whether you can respect that or not, the sound of hyphy from the bay is spreading

what i enjoy about hyphy is that it reminds me of having fun, giggin in the club or on the street or the car. you can actually dance to most of this music. its not about bitches and how much money youve got, how much gold youve got on your rims [the initial concept was the bay's reaction to these things]. and the dancing is straight giggin and being creative, just being yourself. and if anyone looks stupid, that's a good thing! i can feel that.

gumdrops

i dont see how someone can say hyphy hasnt spread. you can see the influences of the bay and hyphy all over the place: on television, in magazines, in underground [and now mainstream] hip hop, even in clothing. for fucks sake, youve got Shadow and the Automator signed on. not to mention a handful of other less mainstream producers. whether you can respect that or not, the sound of hyphy from the bay is spreading
shadows from the bay, so is automator i think. i didnt mean people outside the bay arent going to get into it, they already are (obviously or we wouldnt be having this discussion now), but i meant i cant really see it taking over mainstream hip hop like the southern stuff. e40s album didnt go platinum i dont think and there havent exactly been a load of other hyphy MCs signing to majors in the US either. i dont necessarily see this as a bad thing though.

you can hear that federation song 'i wear my stunna glasses at night' here:
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/federationx12x07x06
the beat is like a hyped up lil jon on freak a leek or yeah but the federation are what make the song.

hint

party record with a siren
gumdrops said:
i meant i cant really see it taking over mainstream hip hop like the southern stuff

I reckon it could happen.

It's already started, in fact:

Last edited:

gumdrops

whats hyphy about that track (apart from the stunna shades thing)? its just R&B based on a snap/bounce-type rhythm track.

hint

party record with a siren
Dunno... can't really put it into words, but it sounds Hyphy to me... those slurred stabs, the "pretty" chimes, the beat is less aggressive than snap / bounce stuff.

I don't think this track would sound how it sounds if Hyphy didn't exist.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, the beat is pretty much derived from the original, just boosted up a bit.
the synths are the most prominent part of the production and are hardly typical of the general hyphy template.
the slaps, the 808 kicks, the federation and e-40 themselves are, though, not to mention the fact that it's completely bloody stupid, too.
it's a fun track. i like it, and rick rock is a very smart guy.
still, it's nothing like the federation at their best by any means.
"go dumb" is miles better.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Hi-Tek!

Go cop Hi Tek's- Hiteknology 2: The Chip today! Crazy production featuring some of the best established emcees in the game next to some up and comers. Also read the new Scratch magazine featuring interviews with Large Professor, Hi Tek, Talib Kweli, Organized Noize, and DJ Shadow.

“Revenge Of The Nerds” is a sarcastic look at the nerd element in Hip Hop culture through PD’s eyes. Check it out here:

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=310006

Also check out his previous State Of Hip Hop blog series entries on AllHipHop.com here:

“The Next Big Thing: Racist Pop Music” about the current lack of conscious music and personal/social responsibility by the this generation of mainstream rappers. It’s been featured on AllHipHop.com’s Ill Community forum for 10 straight days.

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=307551

“Doin’ Like I’m Doin’ It For TV “ about the quality of current mainstream hip hop music, featured on AllHipHop.com’s front page for a full week straight.

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=306018

"Mommy, What's A Backpacker AKA What The Hell Is A Cannibal Ox?" about the Great Hip Hop Industry Switchover of 1996/7 after the Telecommuincations Act was passed was featured in the Reason section of AllHipHop.com's Ill Community forum for a straight week.

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=302553

"100 Signs That You're A 70's Or Early 80's Baby" the now famous response to Sickamore’s “80 Ways To Know You’re Not An 80’s Baby” series was featured on the front page of AllHipHop.com and was used by Sickamore himself of XXLmag.com (http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=4149)

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=295333

Also look for PD’s blogs to be featured on several sites in the near future. One.

D84

Great posts Poisonous Dart!

I had to look up the Willie Lynch theory - you're right on the money there...

I'm pasting some quotes from the backpacker one in the independent music economics thread. I hope that's cool.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
bossman's a-yo is doing great things for me at the moment and on another, altogether different, tip the new infinite livez is going to be one funny, twisted and beautiful mess of an album if what i've heard so far is anything to go by.

tate

Brown Sugar
I really rather like everything about Infinite Livez. The beats, the madness, the messy surreal aspect. I'm looking forward to it.
I'd been wondering what was going on with Infinite Livez. Bush Meat was just fantastic, and whoa, dark. I remember Jess Harvell in particular raving about Bush Meat, he put it in his top ten that year if I recall correctly. Any idea when the new one is slated to come out?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I'd been wondering what was going on with Infinite Livez. Bush Meat was just fantastic, and whoa, dark. I remember Jess Harvell in particular raving about Bush Meat, he put it in his top ten that year if I recall correctly. Any idea when the new one is slated to come out?

before the end of the year, by the looks. there should hopefully be a single from it, too.
just waiting to find out what the deal is with this. if they know on time i'll be writing about it in the wire next ish.
the album is recorded with swiss improv/free jazz dudes stade and the tracks i've heard thus far are bizzonkers...
grown men wearing Huggies, man-eating electrical appliances and all kinds of loopy stuff. sadly no continuation of the "men-growing-breasts" thing, though.
glad there are so many fans here. i love him.
shows the likes of kool keith a thing or two about channeling a completely deranged imagination into great music.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
G Unit In Decline

Lloyd Banks album is projected as moving 175,000- 200,000 by early estimates. If he moves less (below 150,000), then he has little to no chance to reach Gold and it will be another consecutive flop for the G Unit label. Tony Yayo failed to reach Gold, Mobb Deep failed to reach Gold, M.O.P. may never release a G Unit album, and Spider Loc and Olivia may be shelved forever. The newly signed Hot Rod has failed to capture to public imagination and even Obie Trice releasing one of the fiercest tracks in recent memory as a single "Cry Now", hasn't stopped the Interscope/Aftermath/Shady affiliate from catching a damn cinderblock after his anemic first week sales numbers. Will 50 Cent even be able to go Platinum in the climate of this rap industry? Who knows. One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh man

Lloyd Banks album is projected as moving 175,000- 200,000 by early estimates. If he moves less (below 150,000), then he has little to no chance to reach Gold and it will be another consecutive flop for the G Unit label. Tony Yayo failed to reach Gold, Mobb Deep failed to reach Gold, M.O.P. may never release a G Unit album, and Spider Loc and Olivia may be shelved forever. The newly signed Hot Rod has failed to capture to public imagination and even Obie Trice releasing one of the fiercest tracks in recent memory as a single "Cry Now", hasn't stopped the Interscope/Aftermath/Shady affiliate from catching a damn cinderblock after his anemic first week sales numbers. Will 50 Cent even be able to go Platinum in the climate of this rap industry? Who knows. One.

The final numbers are in and Lloyd Banks moved 150,000 units of "Rotten Apple". He's going to have a HELL of a time going Gold. G Unit is clearly on the way down. Next up, Diddy's "Press Play" is projected to sell 175,000- 200,000 it's opening week. Let's see how it goes.

In other news, Lady Sovereign was #1 on TRL, beating out Justin Timberlake and Pink with that goddawful song with the weird ass video. WTF is going on? One.

Status
Not open for further replies.