Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
mistersloane said:
That AZ track is the track of the year so far. So beautiful.

az is a very underated mc i think.
that deep barely lifting above the water depression and old man's voice in a kids body is really compelling.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
mms said:
az is a very underated mc i think.
that deep barely lifting above the water depression and old man's voice in a kids body is really compelling.

Yeah, that new track is Premiere at his best as well. There are like 500 comments about it on hiphopgame and pretty much everyone has rated it 5/5, impressive score.
New Nas is good n all, his voice sounds weird though, like maybe it's always been compressed before and this time they left it off. He sounds squeaky.

hint

party record with a siren
mistersloane said:
Yeah, that new track is Premiere at his best as well. There are like 500 comments about it on hiphopgame and pretty much everyone has rated it 5/5, impressive score.

I found this track to be pretty dull, actually. Not sure what makes it stand out so much for everyone. Makes me think of Mobb Deep 5 or 6 years ago.... Quiet Storm and all that.

New Nas is good n all, his voice sounds weird though, like maybe it's always been compressed before and this time they left it off. He sounds squeaky.

His voice doesn't sound too different to me.

It does tie in to the whole compression thread on here though - there's a spring-reverbed snare hit that really cuts through, louder than everything else, every 8 bars. Makes a refreshing change to the usual flatlined hip hop drums.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
Dallas Austin has been arrested for possession of cocaine (and other substances)...

... in Dubai :eek:

Seems he's been in prison for nearly a month already and the story has only just broken.

Foolish.

Here's a young kiwi lady named Topaz that I'm helping out by hooking up beats and working her ass in the studio making sure she gets her head around what it takes to be a successful rap singing popstar in this day and age...

864610055_l.jpg

...another year or so and i reckon she could go off globally with the right management

be keen to know what you all think and no I'm not shagging her or anything smutty like that... :rolleyes:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't want to be rude, but i'm not sure where in the globe this could "go off". why's she rapping in a faux-american accent if she's a kiwi?

I think the same about lady sov and her fake patois and why people chat like that if they're not from jamaica or radio DJ's that in real life sound nothing like their on air personas...

...methinks it's a hiphop and media conditioning, dumbing down thing but that can be worked out

"going off" is all about marketing and getting her listened to in the right ear with the right tune/video which has the right guest rappers and the right amount of booty in it...

...i reckon she's young enough, cute enough, ambitious enough, talented enough and different enough sounding to catch somebodies ear and that's her first bit of recorded material so in 2 years time, who knows

but she's pretty well grounded anyway and works in an office as a real estate valuations person so if nothing comes of it...

...at least it's not back to the streets or council estates

DJ PIMP

hehe... I love the kiwi inbetweeney accent on hiphop. we know its wrong to want so bad to be from the bronx, but we can't quite accept that we're not because the straight nz accent on hiphop sounds so cracked :D

we fullas blaze up aotearoa green smoke it roll the mitsi and park it
have a feed of raw fish n taro at the otara market... eh

stelfox

Beast of Burden
HELL_SD said:
I think the same about lady sov and her fake patois and why people chat like that if they're not from jamaica or radio DJ's that in real life sound nothing like their on air personas...

spend some time in london is all i can say. that's how kids speak. cockney is a dying accent and it's been replaced with a kind of pan-racial patois used by black, asian and white kids equally. it's kind of cool actually. london's the only place in the world where that could happen

stelfox

Beast of Burden
no, the thing is it's not "faux". that's where you're getting it completely twisted. lady sov, dogzilla, plan b and all the other white guys/girls in grime and uk hip-hop talk like this completely naturally. london has the diversity and social structure where that can happen. it's a very specifically english, actually very specifically london version of street talk that results from the kind of cultural cross-pollination we have here. what you're talking about is entirely different. it's fake, affected and contrived. while i know next to nothing about NZ, i do know it just doesn't have anything like the same environmental factors as far as imigration and race is concerned, or the lack of space that means it's pretty impossible to live in thge inner city and not be affected by a variety of different cultures.what you're talking about is not even even vaguely comparable to what i'm describing. the fact that you're also being pretty sneery about it doesn't help. anyway, fake american accents are the wrong way to do global hip-hop. that's just my view.

Last edited:
^^^not even a touch, just to try and sound that little bit cooler ???

....surely it's a choice thing innit ???

i mean i write this way cos i want to, i don't neccessarily have to...

...same goes for speech too don't you think ???

you ever hear funkmaster flex or I've heard mary anne hobbs does it too...

gabriel

The Heatwave
of course the way kids/teenagers talk in london is to some extent faux and put on - like pretty much everything that teenagers do, it's not just something that happens completely by accident. obviously, most people stop talking like teenagers when they get into their 20s.

surely the point here though is whether your singing/rapping voice is significantly different from your talking voice. lady sovereign raps how she talks, though both of these may be put on to an extent. i don't know if any of this matters really. all jamaicans can speak and write textbook english (often better than english people) but mostly they choose to express themselves in patois.

nb i haven't heard topaz speak or rap or sing, just throwing in a point...

also, kids in london talk like they do largely because of the influence of us and jamaican music/slang, with some londonisms and english twists on it. then they make music that is also us/jamaican influenced, again with an english/london slant. they're influenced by what they're influenced by cos it's cool. if us hip hop and us street slang is the cool music/talk in new zealand, and people start talking like that and making music like that cos they think it's cool, is that any different to london? does it matter? i dunno really. or care that much - but i'm bored at work... :cool:

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
music totally influences the way kids speak, but you've got to factor in the presence of a variety of cultures, too.
i think this is way more important than the influence of US hip-hop and jamaican dancehall as global cultural forces.
the fact is that the social and racial make-up of london actually provides a zone where these styles of music become an intrinsic part of the culture, rather than an externalised, mediated thing.
i mean lots of people listen to country music, but thankfully very few of them start talking in southern drawls and wearing stetsons, because it's not an actual living culture here, it's a foreign import in a way that dancehall isn't – reggae has become part of british life thanks to the communities who brought it here, played it and helped it develop into all kinds of other varieties of music that could only ever have happened in england (hardcore, jungle, 2-step, grime and the next thing whatever that may be).
hip-hop is a bit different, but i've always thought reggae a lot more important to british culture than rap, anyways.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Pretty much every London kid fromt he age of six to eighteen brought up in the inner city ends up speaking London Lingo, I see it as a way kids manage to cross-pollenate and break down racial divides very quickly. By forming a common language, it's automatically an 'us versus them' argument ( 'Why are you speaking like that?' say parents ). It's less put on than a form of survival, and is as authentic as any other form of language.
Hell SD, have you seen Kidulthood? That's how kids on buses speak here. It rocks, in my opinion.

bassnation

the abyss
mistersloane said:
Pretty much every London kid fromt he age of six to eighteen brought up in the inner city ends up speaking London Lingo, I see it as a way kids manage to cross-pollenate and break down racial divides very quickly. By forming a common language, it's automatically an 'us versus them' argument ( 'Why are you speaking like that?' say parents ). It's less put on than a form of survival, and is as authentic as any other form of language.
Hell SD, have you seen Kidulthood? That's how kids on buses speak here. It rocks, in my opinion.

this is completely correct - stephen pinker the linguist has written about each generation of children "rewriting language". its not an affectation or pretense. its the same process of a pidgin language becoming a creole - this happens through children, not by their parents who's language tends to be much more limited.

"Pinker notes that children spontaneously invent a consistent grammatical speech (a creole) even if they grow up among a mixed-culture population speaking an informal trade pidgin with no consistent rules."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Language_Instinct

replace jamaican with polynesian, then add in not only transplanted british colonial but US hiphop culture in much the same way as rock n roll spawned the reggae version to british jamaica in the 50's and then exported it back to blighty only throw in the accent as well due to media conditioning and fast forward fifty years to the other side of the planet and...

...BLAMMO

you get reggae talking patois without rasta values in london but ebonics in NZ and cross culturally across the youf of today as expressed in the sentiments of grime and hiphop complete with faux accents

while reggae may have been more important for the baby boomers and gen exers this new lot are a breed apart and in that respect with the globalising and standardising of monoculture we are all getting measured by the same young stick yet some oldies still delineate along the old lines cos new tricks are hard to teach old dogs and some dogs are best left sleeping...

...polynesians and jamaicans are not that far apart in values and love of reggae. I should know my lady and her mother along with my new outlaws are all patois speaking, regaae loving, domino playing, jerk chicken eating, rum punch drinking, ganja smoking white jamaican flakes but with a keen business sense and a good work ethic unlike me

i'm just a lazy pollywog who doesn't play well with others...

...and as for the music, i keep saying in this age of the global village no one owns it and it can spontaneously incubate and mutate in the blink of puter screen

i reckon i could just about prove that too... ;)

...all I can say is thank fuck for dubstep cos sometimes words get in the way

bah it's late and I'm not sure if that made sense but hopefully you'll get the drift...

nine

variable spray
HELL_SD said:
replace jamaican with polynesian, then add in not only transplanted british colonial but US hiphop culture in much the same way as rock n roll spawned the reggae version to british jamaica in the 50's and then exported it back to blighty only throw in the accent as well due to media conditioning and fast forward fifty years to the other side of the planet and...

...BLAMMO

you get reggae talking patois without rasta values in london but ebonics in NZ and cross culturally across the youf of today as expressed in the sentiments of grime and hiphop complete with faux accents

while reggae may have been more important for the baby boomers and gen exers this new lot are a breed apart and in that respect with the globalising and standardising of monoculture we are all getting measured by the same young stick yet some oldies still delineate along the old lines cos new tricks are hard to teach old dogs and some dogs are best left sleeping...

...polynesians and jamaicans are not that far apart in values and love of reggae. I should know my lady and her mother along with my new outlaws are all patois speaking, regaae loving, domino playing, jerk chicken eating, rum punch drinking, ganja smoking white jamaican flakes but with a keen business sense and a good work ethic unlike me

i'm just a lazy pollywog who doesn't play well with others...

...and as for the music, i keep saying in this age of the global village no one owns it and it can spontaneously incubate and mutate in the blink of puter screen

i reckon i could just about prove that too... ;)

...all I can say is thank fuck for dubstep cos sometimes words get in the way

bah it's late and I'm not sure if that made sense but hopefully you'll get the drift...

never, since i started reading words online has one humanoid filled me with uch nausea.

its incredible how every word you seem to write online has such potency of cliche and hypocrasy

it astounds me how tolerant people are of you. you hijack every thread with self-promotion. . .it really is amazing that you havent been permanently banned from every forum you touch

correct me if im wrong but weren't you the arsehole who accused me of stealing a riff from one of your tunes a year and a half ago? how exactly does this fit with your global village pomo rubbish. .

don't even start me on the prospect of you remixing a burial tune.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
HELL_SD said:

totally missing the point still. there's nothing "faux" about it for solid linguistic and anthropological reasons.
also patois should not be wholesale conflated with rastafarianism.
it's a living, constantly changing language, just like any other, without any kind of faith-based ownership.
certain specific terms with rastafarian derivations have entered the lexicon, but its ownership spreads far wider than the dreads.
it's owned by anyone on the island who chooses to speak it.
lady sovereign does not speak patois. the way she speaks is an entirely different, british-born creole and pointed out above, that includes elements of jamaican patois but also a lot of other stuff.
bassnation is right vis a vis kids using language to define themselves separately and in opposition to their and parents.
several jamaican artists i've interviewed have spoken of getting wicked beatings as kids, or massive bollockings at the least, from their parents for speaking patois in the house.
this is an especially common story within more middle-class, monied families.
language is a great signifier and the way we speak is a huge identifier of our cultural allegiances and can be used pretty confrontationally without even saying anything confrontational.
however, it's also something that genuinely evolves as a result of its environment and a new zealander affecting an american voice isn't the same as the way language has developed in london, especially over the last 15 years.
i actually think it's very cool that cockney is a dying mode of speech because it was viewed as almost exclusively white-owned and love the inclusive ownership of back-of-the-bus patois. it's a real victory as far as i see it, and as i said, only in london...

HELL_SD said:

horribly misguided and way too literal. reggae and soundsystem culture is the root of pretty much all british dance and urban music. it's the foundation, you can't get away from that, no matter if you're an old dude who went to brixton blues parties in the 60s, a kid buying grime in rhythm division or someone involed in pretty much any movement inbetween. it might not be spoken about that much but that's because it's largely taken for granted.

HELL_SD said:

totally simplistic and wrong. it's my job to dip into regional scenes the world over and to get to know them, understand them and in many cases love them, but these scenes really own themselves. while the music can make sense anywhere in the world in many cases, saying that i own the music as much as the people who created the scenes in question, support them and are really part of them would be pretty inaccurate. doesn't mean you can't enjoy anything you want, it's just a matter of giving credit where it's due and the fact that i hate terms like global village because people's experiences and lives are very different, depending where they are in the world. also interacting with a scene in its natural home is way, way different to listening to it in your living room. i learn this with virtually every working trip i take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.