Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
thanks stelfox. you said it man.

btw anyone know whats up with the new mistah fab? is this coming out soon or .... ?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's been talked about for a while. it's going to be on warner, right?
i'm looking fwd to this, even though the fucker stood me up for an interview when i was in the bay.
(then again, i shouldn't hold that against him - everyone else did too).

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
New Lupe Fiasco video!

Lupe Fiasco- I Got Cha (produced by the Neptunes) from the forthcoming classic LP "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor

Lupe Fiasco “Failure” from “Lupe Fiasco’s Food and Liquor”

The Pack “Vans”

Boot Camp Clik “Trading Places” from “The Last Stand”

Termanology “Motion Picture” from Termanology & DC “Straight Out The Gate”

Termanology “Watch How It Goes Down” (produced by DJ Premier) from “Hood Politics IV”

Enjoy. One.

Last edited:
this really doesn't make any sense. at least the people who are standing against your "aesthetic bias" have some knowledge of the artists whose superiority you are espousing.

i've *listened to method man album*, i know about and love ghostface and the rest of the wu, i own records by all the people you "automatically assume" are better than the music i'm really feeling, and in many cases love them.

however, you're saying that a record by trae (and probably by extension, the likes of lil keke, z-ro - who are great talents and incredibly important to the development and continuation of southern rap) can't possibly be even in the same ballpark of validity as this strange little rigid canon you've built for yourself *without even listening to it*. this is several steps beyond being flat-out dumb, it's flagrant ignorance and a real disappointment, considering that you're obviously someone who has quite a bit of knowledge.

the weird and completely arbitrary divide you've built up between what you view as "hip-hop" and "rap" is pretty destructive and silly, too. hip-hop is not just one thing, is not strictly the four pillars, and its interpretation differs from state to state, country to country. that's the beauty of hip-hop. when there's freedom to move and reimagine what hip-hop is, great things can happen. when there isn't, things like UK hip-hop happen!

the reason british hip-hop is so bad is because, for the most part, it rigidly toes the traditionalist line you seem to advocate and does very little to innovate and really assert its own identity (i know plenty of artists use british accents, but when these are welded to weakass, primo-rehash beats, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT REAL HIP-HOP IS, what's the point? you're not making the music your own, so why bother pretending that you are).

look at this and then tell me, where would the interest be in a nation as massive and diverse as the USA, where hip-hop is the dominant cultural force, adhering to ONE TRUE WAY and not allowing different people to bring their own lives, experiences and cultures to the table? hip-hop would be homogenous, stuck in the past, governed by one overarching aethetic and utterly irrelevant to millions of people – and you'd never have had outkast, either (whose new album is NOT very good, btw, unfortunately).

as it stands, for all the criticisms you can level against crunk, snap, hyphy, screw etc (many of them valid - i too would like more real lyrical content and more positive messages in hip-hop, trust me), at least they exist.

all these different styles are precisely what makes hip-hop (if you choose to listen to hip-hop across the board and don't just limit yourself to one regional scene/aesthetic position) remain a diverse and exciting world decades after it began. they *enrich* the music, allowing it to develop sonically and, perhaps most importantly, giving people in the areas they come from something that's their own, something to throw their hands up to and be proud of. they are absolutely what hip-hop is all about, not sacreligious abberations of the "right", orthodox take on the genre.

saying people like E-40 are great artists, but that you wouldn't buy or listen to their music is all well and good and absolutely your right. no one is presuming to tell you what you should buy and what you should listen to, but if it's your position ignore a certain style of music, then maybe it's best to make that decision quietly and not try to denigrate the choices of people who have a somewhat broader view of what this music is and can be.

props for bigging up k-rino tho. he's a great artist, frequently overlooked and a lovely dude, too.

seven hundred and twenty three.

I don't like all that talking in hiphop especially if they're not saying anything new.

I like freshness and cutting edge beats. Lupe Fiasco's 'kick push' is all good because I've never heard a rapper go on about skating before and you can tell he likes it.

Beat wise I haven't heard anything that I haven't heard before. So can anyone recommend some good instrumental hiphop ?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Ok

I don't like all that talking in hiphop especially if they're not saying anything new.

I like freshness and cutting edge beats. Lupe Fiasco's 'kick push' is all good because I've never heard a rapper go on about skating before and you can tell he likes it.

Beat wise I haven't heard anything that I haven't heard before. So can anyone recommend some good instrumental hiphop ?

I say try the following artists projects/instrumental albums:

J Dilla
Pete Rock
Large Professor
Ayatollah
DJ Spinna
9th Wonder
Fat Jon
Oddisee
Prefuse 73
Dan the Automator
DJ Shadow
DJ Vadim
DJ Krush
DJ Honda
DJ Cam
RJD2
Madlib
MF Doom
Oh No
Kareem Riggins
Wajeed (Platinum Pied Pipers)
Nujabes
Alchemist
Beatnuts/Psycho Les/Juju
Ge-Ology
88 Keys
Minnesota
Black Milk/Young RJ/B.R. Gunna
Mathematics (Wu Tang Clan)
Bronze Nazzareth (Wu Elements)

any Lt. Dan/J Armz instrumental beat series...go to the two following MySpace pages and check out the top 24's full of instrumentals by great lesser known/up and coming producers

http://www.myspace.com/hellsendaproductions
http://www.myspace.com/poisonousdarthfc

One.

Thanks P-dart.

Most of those guys I've heard before and they don't really do it for me either. I like crunk probably cos I came at hiphop from a b-boy electro stance back in the day. Been feeling ying yang twins beats lately not their lyrics so much.

You got some choice beatlinks in your myfriends list.

RESTECP

petergunn

plywood violin
Lupe Fiasco's 'kick push' is all good because I've never heard a rapper go on about skating before and you can tell he likes it.

SkatemasterTate01.jpg

SKATEMASTER TATE

....i feel old...

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The meaning of "One"

Poisonous Dart
Posted 05-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepfan
and the meaning of "one"?

In the Northeastern part of the US (where Hip Hop culture originated and the aesthetic that hip hp purists refer to as "real hip hop" was formed) around 15 or 16 years ago, cats started saying "One Love" (like the Bob Marley song) at the end of songs or messages or letters or as a type of "ghetto aloha" and it soon expanded to phone calls. The meaning became expanded around 1992 to represent "One Love, One God, One Nation, One Destiny..." it became an all encompassing phrase hat represented the unification of Black people and Latinos through music, specifically urban music (reggae, R&B/Soul, Hip Hop/Rap). That meaning soon expanded to represent the unification of ALL PEOPLE through urban music once it made serious headway into pop culture in the US as well as worldwide.

People often made variations on it like "One Hundred" (as in percent, how much they're willing to give to accomplish their goal). It got shortened it "One" around 1993 but it's been in use since at least late 1989. I've been saying it and hearing it since then. It's used often in hip hop (Nas' "One Love", Ghostface's "One", etc.) At the end of Jay Z's verse in "Crazy In Love" he says it if you pay attention. In the movie "Belly" starring Nas and DMX they use it about 50 times alone...it's a common word to me so I'm often surprised when people ask me what it means online. It's akin to "Peace", "I'm Out", "Audi 5000", "Ghost", "Swayze (EPMD's take on saying "Ghost") or "See Ya". I hear it said on a daily basis and I use it all the time..any other questions don't hesitate to ask. One.

I always thought it came from the nation of gods and earths supreme mathematics with one being knowledge ?A lot of afrocentrists adopted many a 5 percenter phrase including Nas and the Wu Tangers. I think I remember reading that somewhere, along with the greeting 'Sup G' standing for God not gangsta?

Breaking it down, dropping science or not ?

RESTECP

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I always thought it came from the nation of gods and earths supreme mathematics with one being knowledge ?A lot of afrocentrists adopted many a 5 percenter phrase including Nas and the Wu Tangers. I think I remember reading that somewhere, along with the greeting 'Sup G' standing for God not gangsta?

Breaking it down, dropping science or not ?

RESTECP

Yeah from what I know 'whassup G' is definitely descended from the gods n earths, standing for god...
one stands for knowledge, so it could be that it came from that, I think PD's version is more likely tho, what you think Dart?

Status
Not open for further replies.