DUB WAR 5 - Loefah, Sgt Pokes, Joe Nice, David Last, Richard Fearless - NYC April 21

Dubquixote

Submariner
DUB WAR is back again. 5 for the reload stylee. DMZ bizness inside...

+ LOEFAH & SGT POKES (dmz) london, uk
+ JOE NICE (gourmetbeats, dub war) baltimore
+ RICHARD FEARLESS (death in vegas) london, uk [dub + roots set downstairs)
+ DAVID LAST (the agriculture) brooklyn *live set
+ DAVE Q (dub war) brooklyn
+ MC JUAKALI (dub war) brooklyn
+ SELECTOR MOLDY (thermal, offshore) nyc
+ SECRET AGENT GEL pennsylvania *live set
+ ELEKTRO4 (bully) nyc
+ KUSH ARORA (kush arora) san francisco

Friday, April 21, 2006
10pm - 4am
$10
Rothko, Lower East Side, NYC

Complete details at www.dubwar.net

dubwar5_flyer_med.gif

Dubquixote

Submariner
Important - Dub War Venue Will Change

Rothko Was Shut Down By The Police Last Night.

We Are Rushing To Line Up An Alternate Venue For Dub War Tonight. I Will Post The Info Up As Soon As I Have It.

Please Check Back Here For The Breaking Details. I'm Sorry About This Mess And Hopefully Everything Will Be Sorted Out Soon.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Just So Everybody Knows, It Looks Like We're Going To Have The Event In The Chapel At Avalon. I'm Awaiting The Final Confirmation, But That's The Latest.

On The Positive Side, The Soundsystem In There Is Very Weighty. It's Literally A Gothic Cathedral With Arched Ceiling And Everything.

The Sucky Thing Is That Avalon Is Like A Mega Club, So The Clientelle In The Main Space Is Kinda Cheese!

Hey, I'll Take It If That's Where We're At. I'll Post Up As Soon As I Hear The Final Word!

Thanks Again Everybody For The Words Of Support.

Dave Q

Dubquixote

Submariner
Dub War Venue Change - Final Details - It's On!

Sorry Everybody For All The Different Threads And The Writing In Caps But......

Dub War 5 Is On Tonight At Club Avalon!

Here's The Cold Hard Facts:
The Venue Is On 6th Avenue And W 20th Street In Manhattan
To Get There Take The F Train To 23rd Street
Enter Through The Side Entrance And Be Sure To Mention That You're There For Dub War!
I'm Really Sorry To Say It But They're Gonna Charge $15 At The Door. We Couldn't Get Them To Go Any Lower.

For Your Extra $5 You Get A Soundsystem That Is No Joke!
And Lots Of Really Drunk Girls From New Jersey.

Hope To See Everybody There! You Are All Soldiers And I Appreciate Everybody Sticking Together To Help Pull This Off.

Just So Ya Know Dj Craze Will Be Playing Hip Hop In The Main Room, With The Main Like Dj Seoul Closing The Night In The Main Room Playing Dnb. Big Up Cliff For Making This Happen On Incredibly Short Notice.

Your Chest!
Dave

dominic

Beast of Burden
i saw dave q and loefah play a loft party in brooklyn saturday night

very cool and intimate setting

and within 15 minutes of my arrival they blew out the speaker b/c the bass was so damn heavy

(the emcee commented that this happens wherever loefah djs)

still not sure how i feel about dubstep -- kinda feel that SR's criticisms of detroit techno are applicable to dubstep -- i.e., this feels like very austere music, a music that denies itself pleasure -- see also k-punk's remarks on burial thread -- and it's so damn slow -- wouldn't have minded sniffing heroin had some been around, i.e., think that would have put me much more in tune with the music -- heroin or ketamine -- seriously! -- you need to walk on air to dance to such heavy heavy music

this girl that i know was getting a bit bored with the music, and she had the audacity to ask the dj (either dave q or loefah) to play disco or something -- i then tried to break things down for her, explained the "crusader" mentality of british djs, that they take a sound, head down a corridor, and unfold all the nooks and crannys of that corridor -- and that no matter what anyone says, they're gonna stick to their guns -- a philosophy that i respect, even though such single-mindedness is at odds with my own sensibility

the tracks that got the best response from the crowd, so far as i could tell, were loefah's and dmz's own tracks (i.e., i had somebody pointing it out to me when a particular track was loefah's)

all in all, i was really starting to get into it -- the overall feel of the party certainly helped -- i.e., had this been rothko, i would have been loathing all the indie hip hop types around me -- but this was a very cool scene and the music was deep and had integrity

i also really dug swingsett's dj set -- he went on after loefah and let the crowd know where dubstep comes from, playing lots of old skool jungle that dubstep borrows from and echoes -- not simply an educational set though, he definitely raised things a notch or two energy-wise

i briefly spoke with loefah at the end of the night -- he seemed very cool and on the level -- he agreed w/ my view that shut up and dance was the best record label ever -- and in fact he's having nicolette sing and emcee with him this coming thursday -- he also told me that he loves manchester but had to lock the doors of the dj booth while djing there b/c the manc crowd was chanting death threats or something?! -- which of course got a laugh out of me -- so all in all, i thought loefah was cool -- i.e., he's got a good vibe about him

Last edited: