My Bloody Valentine thread

Benny Bunter

haha yeah could have been you actually, good work!

And yeah in another way is probably my next favourite track.

I hope this albums success means more mbv records in the future, some EPs would be nice, they were always very good at them.

connect_icut

haha yeah could have been you actually, good work!
I hope this albums success means more mbv records in the future, some EPs would be nice, they were always very good at them.

Kevin has promised an EP to follow up the album. Of course, Kevin is a massive bullshitter.

There's actually a theory that the album is really three three-song EPs - or at least that it's structured as three "suites" of songs.

worrior

Connect_icut right on point as usual. Eagerly downloaded on Sunday morning and was underwhelmed by the first few tracks, went straight to the last one which obsessed me for the rest of the day but now it's In Another Way that's dominating the plays.

connect_icut

seems to get better with every listen

I agree but must admit that "she found now" and "who sees you" haven't grown on me much. Don't hate me but I've made my own "phantom edit" of the album, replacing those songs with "City Girl" (from Lost in Translation) and a demo known as either "Kevin Song" or "Just Like Us".

Have I mentioned that I'm kind of an obsessive MBV fan?

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Plus every single article or fawning news item on them always features photos of the band at 17 or whatever. It's a total joke: what are you being sold here? I wish Page and Plant could get away with that!

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Historical datum: Primal Scream need another half-famous, underachieving junky loser to swell the ranks - who ya gonna call?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gotta say they've never made much of an impression on me either but I will give the new album a listen when I get round to it. Probably.

connect_icut

Highpoint of civilization etc.

I have to stop looking at MBV stuff on the Internet. I'm not emotionally equipped to deal with the existence of people who don't like them. Silly, I know but there you have it.

Edit: Having said that, I upset people on the MBV forum by having the gall to suggest that a couple of songs on the new album aren't very good, so...

Last edited:

connect_icut

Is there a lot of talk about flange on the MBV forum?

I assume that's a joke buuuuut...

No, Kevin generally doesn't use flanging or phasing effects, which makes the ludicrously flanged-out last track on the new album quite shocking.

In fact, he doesn't use most of the effects people assume he uses: reverb, delay, chorus... Those weird guitar sounds are generally just unconventional tunings + distortion + tremolo arm + digital processing to reverse the attack/decay envelope.

Oh dear, I seem to be engaging don't I? Stupid Internet!

craner

Beast of Burden
Oooooh, actually this album is gorgeous. It is better than many other things that happen, or are made.

connect_icut

Oooooh, actually this album is gorgeous. It is better than many other things that happen, or are made.

I'm so deep inside this motherfucker that don't think I have any perspective left. But I think that the only two tracks that haven't improved with repeated listens are "she found now" (generic shoegaze) and "is this and yes" (pastiche of Four Organs by Steve Reich). And I think that "if i am" and "in another way" are the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard in the last decade or so.

zhao

there are no accidents
It's so true. I can't think of another band so bad that have been built up so much. This is not "the backlash"; this is just someone who thinks they are shit.

blacktulip, if memory serves, we've exchanged about Spectralism, Avant Classical and Free Jazz before, right?

how can you not appreciate the daring palette of textures and innovative tonalities MBV brings to rock/pop? the thrilling wall of fuzz and noise which destroys preconceptions of pop music and at the same time IS amazingly crafted pop.

there are few bands in the history of rock and pop music who have revolutionized, and i use that word carefully, the medium in the way that they have, and still making records which people (me) love to listen to on repeat 30 years later. (i honestly love EVERYTHING they've ever released, from the official albums to the EPs and Singles and bootlegs, and i can indeed say that about very very few bands)

do you also hate the Velvet Underground?

zhao

there are no accidents
Gotta say they've never made much of an impression on me either

and IdleRich. i have 2 words for you, well, 1 word and a number:

Faust IV

particularly the epic opening track definitively called "Kraut Rock".

it is impossible to love that tune and be ambivalent about MBV.