What are the key 'indie' albums of the 00s..so far

shudder

spackb0y said:
What about Interpol? Certainly key in some sense, no?

definitely key in the post-punk revival stuff.. Probably the first band to do it and meet with a lot of success.. (arguably their sort-of but not really Joy Division rip-off is also a lot more palatable than Bloc Party et al...). I think Six Finger Satellite would be the actual first band in this area tho.

I second the recommendation for Gang Gang Dance's album. It's super solid.

Oh, and if you're interested in Do Make Say Think, check out their second to most recent album &yet &yet. Broadly post-rock (in the north american sense), although wihtout Godspeed's ridiculous "epic"ness...

shudder

I think it is... at least, many of the people who go to GGD shows go to Yeah Yeah Yeahs shows (YYYs are defos indie).

Are Japanther indie? I always thought of them as straddling the punk kid/hardcore scene and the indie scene proper...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Still, no-one has come forth with anything to top the WHITE STRIPES ! The Yeahyeahyeahyeah yeahs are just lame ripoffs of the WS's - in fact a Jon Spenser consiparacy to reclaim his lost thunder!

INTERPOl are kinda sort innaresting in being 'key' as they redefined the whole 80s-retro thang, but then, the Strokes covered that purty much, and then France Fernando..

But the WHITE STRIPEs still top out, and counter offers will be considered.

zhao

there are no accidents
spackb0y said:
What about Interpol? Certainly key in some sense, no?

no.

neither are Wolf Parade, Wolf Mother, etc, etc. ignorable, forgettable at best. best ignored and forgotten.

Gang Gang is not bad at all. another exception I missed first time around... but as someone pointed out it's not exactly indie-rock. more like free-form world-fusion-psych.

I recommend Pharoah Overlord. all 4 albums. Neu! meets Sabbath with a touch of Hawkwind.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
again, when you see Wolf Motherfucker, I mean Wolf Mother, it take you about 3 seconds to realise they are a fucking shithouse WHITE STRIPES copycat, with the 'hoopy poopy goovy hipster' fucken early Deep Purple keyboard. They went from Black Sabbath to White Stripe when they had to make an album. Fuck 'em.

But that Pharoah Overlord band you mentioned , Confucious, I'll hafta SoulSeek-out. But MonsterMagnet were cool in parts...

tom pr

Buick6 said:
Still, no-one has come forth with anything to top the WHITE STRIPES
90% of the suggestions in this topic that I've heard top the WHITE STRIPES. I mean people are talking Kid A, seriously.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah! great! let's rehash the same old Blues-Rock formula for the 7,000th time! with the same swagger, the same bravado, but now let's do it like we kinda mean it, kinda don't!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
confucius said:
yeah! great! let's rehash the same old Blues-Rock formula for the 7,000th time! with the same swagger, the same bravado, but now let's do it like we kinda mean it, kinda don't!

No I think thats a wrong assumption and very easy to make considering the WHITE STRIPES are darlings of MOJO and other old farts. Firstly as I said, the boy-girl dynamic, and girl drummer is already subverting that Blooze rehash concept. Also as I mentioned, in live performances as opposed to their Pixies-meets-Spinnanes-meet-JSBX records (remember THAT minimalist 90sindie-grrly band?) the Stripes are a totally different thing. Live Meg's retardo drumming takes on an almost terchno-doof like intensity, with her kick-drum being most of the live focus. The way songs last for a minute then slow down, speed up, gives their whole live thing an ingenious, almost BIGBEAT almost dancey type vibe, with the Blooze geetar thingy. I remember when I got really heavily into dunce music in the mid-late 90s, there was also that whole FAT POSSUM blues label going on, and alot of that Mississipi Delta stuff worked off that whole metronomic dance type rhythm. that alot of gay-house - Frankie Knuckles - had rapturous gospel beats, leading to MoodyMann's flat out house-gospel, dispells alot of the put down of the whole Blues thing, really.

tom pr said:
also I dunno about 'key', but Fiery Furnaces Blueberry Boat and GYBE's Lift Yr Skinny Fists both probably fall under indie, and are both fantastic records.

Fiery Furnaces - seconded.

Gallowsbird Bark, Blueberry Boat and the latest one, Bitter Tea, are all great.

I saw them in London in Aug 2004 and it was like a fucked up laughing gas carnival. But something's happened in the last 18 months - I saw them at KCLSU on Tuesday and was disappointed that they've ditched the synthesizers and gone more metal. Much more metal. Left before they finished. Oddly, the latest LP is full of synths. Maybe they couldn't find enough mains outlets.

Never mind though, the LPs are great.

sus

Joanna Newsom Ys
Animal Collective's Sung Tongs + Merriweather Post Pavilion
Panda Bear's Person Pitch
Owen Pallett's Heartland
Yeasayer's Odd Blood
Sigur Ros's Agaetis Byrjun
Girls' Album
Arcade Fire's Funeral
Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest/Yellow House
The Microphones Glow Pt 2.

I never know whether I think Andrew Bird's Noble Beast is really good or kinda bad. Ditto with Fleet Foxes self-titled. Need to listen to more Television to decide how interesting Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's debut was, but that was a really important release in the early oughts that got weirdly forgotten, the record has a good personality.

sus

White Stripes, LCD Soundsystem put out good stuff but fundamentally their musical sensibility is set in a totally different era than the oughts. Whereas something like Fanfarlo's Reservoir might be a more naive release, but feels more a product of the era—all that post-Neutral Milk Hotel love of horns, the folk-stompin stuff.

sus

It's like a laboratory-engineered cross between Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Arcade Fire

I guess that sound pops up in people like Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros too, or Mumford & Sons (worst British cultural export ever?)

Leo

Joanna Newsom Ys
Animal Collective's Sung Tongs + Merriweather Post Pavilion
Panda Bear's Person Pitch
Owen Pallett's Heartland
Yeasayer's Odd Blood
Sigur Ros's Agaetis Byrjun
Girls' Album
Arcade Fire's Funeral
Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest/Yellow House
The Microphones Glow Pt 2.

I never know whether I think Andrew Bird's Noble Beast is really good or kinda bad. Ditto with Fleet Foxes self-titled. Need to listen to more Television to decide how interesting Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's debut was, but that was a really important release in the early oughts that got weirdly forgotten, the record has a good personality.

feel like I'm in a time warp and just walked into Other Music.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

linebaugh

No mention of Ariel pink in here. Deerhunter neither, really liked Weird Era Cont. And Women, though I don't know if they ever got big enough to be called indie, but they did spawn a small circle of imitators.

Leo

Fiery Furnaces - seconded.

Gallowsbird Bark, Blueberry Boat and the latest one, Bitter Tea, are all great.

I saw them in London in Aug 2004 and it was like a fucked up laughing gas carnival. But something's happened in the last 18 months - I saw them at KCLSU on Tuesday and was disappointed that they've ditched the synthesizers and gone more metal. Much more metal. Left before they finished. Oddly, the latest LP is full of synths. Maybe they couldn't find enough mains outlets.

Never mind though, the LPs are great.

I saw them in a small club around the time of their first album and they were really great. hard to explain, oddball pop music I guess.