Mercury Shortlist 2006

danski

jaxxalude said:

Bear in mind it is the same guy who wrote this.

bmneil199.jpg

Scary stuff.

swears

preppy-kei
gabriel said:
oh my god that is AWFUL
presumably you're being sarcastic about it summing them up? or are you implying that they're deserving of such appalling reviews

No, they're awful. Why does the next big dance act have to be watered down with a dose of indie? Why can't we just have another Basement Jaxx?

tryptych

waiting for a time
swears said:
No, they're awful. Why does the next big dance act have to be watered down with a dose of indie? Why can't we just have another Basement Jaxx?

why on earth would we want another basement jaxx (not that I've got anything against them, I just dont think we need another one)?

i just dont see how Hot Chip are "indie" at all really.

swears

preppy-kei
spackb0y said:
why on earth would we want another basement jaxx (not that I've got anything against them, I just dont think we need another one)?

Yeah, we don't need any innovative, popular, exciting, genre-bustin' dance acts.
Just some nice trip-indie to doze off to over a nice cuppa.

spackb0y said:
i just dont see how Hot Chip are "indie" at all really.

"20-inch rims with the chrome now/ Blazin' out Yo La Tengo"

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
swears said:
Yeah, we don't need any innovative, popular, exciting, genre-bustin' dance acts.

I agree, Basement Jaxx made dance music interesting in my teen years.
Something creative that made it over to the mainstream can't be bad.

Speaking of which, I heard a DJ on radio1 saying that Bugz In The Attic could plausibly
fill a jaxx-lke gap in the market... Personally I think their new LP is good, but not quite there.
A few more dancefloor fillers like "move aside" and less messing about might have done the trick.

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
gek-opel said:
It hasn't been a great year for UK "urban" (read black, obv) music in terms of albums tho, has it? Can anyone list off some great albums in this vein in the last 12 months? The very best that I can think of feel distinctly half-arsed.... don't they?

Half-arsed sounds about right...

But maybe the scene has dug itself into a bit of a hole. Now that it's (on the whole) given up aping America,
what's left is the grime scene - which suffers from negativity, in-fighting, and attacks from berks like Cameron.
Mainstream media has given it a go (latching onto Dizzee, Wiley, Kano) and doesn't want to do so again until
there's something fresh. That's why M.I.A did so well... it's become a bit of a coffee-table album, but it fitted the bill.

For now I guess, 'urban' (god i hate that word) is quietly doing it's own thing, selling mixtapes to its core fanbase.

Or am I wrong?

tryptych

waiting for a time
Raw Patrick said:
"20-inch rims with the chrome now/ Blazin' out Yo La Tengo"

But that's genre busting too.

Exactly. If you think Hot Chip are "trip indie to doze off too" i suggest seeing them play.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Swears: they're not really dance tho are they? Or Indie, really... well indie by origin I guess, but in a similar way to The Beta Band I think... it is not like they are an amazing, mind blowing act, merely that they have an original sound and are interested in rhythm and technology, and aren't interested in neo-postpunk or lighters aloft prematurely ejaculating ballads. This is good, I think anyway...

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
Swears: they're not really dance tho are they? Or Indie, really... well indie by origin I guess, but in a similar way to The Beta Band I think... it is not like they are an amazing, mind blowing act, merely that they have an original sound and are interested in rhythm and technology, and aren't interested in neo-postpunk or lighters aloft prematurely ejaculating ballads. This is good, I think anyway...

I dunno, I just don't like the way they're hyped so much. It's as if people have to have the indie element in the mix because they can't take dance music seriously on it's own terms.
And the whole white geek trying to be black gag has been done to death. It was played out by the time the Ali G film was released. I'm interested in innovations in hip hop and R'n'B. Not in tired parodies of it's lyrical content.

dogger

Sweet Virginia
spackb0y said:
Exactly. If you think Hot Chip are "trip indie to doze off too" i suggest seeing them play.

spot on...they absolutely killed at melt! festival in germany...

blunt

shot by both sides
swears said:
Why does the next big dance act have to be watered down with a dose of indie? Why can't we just have another Basement Jaxx? [...] It's as if people have to have the indie element in the mix because they can't take dance music seriously on it's own terms.

I suspect that the problem facing the genre is that we all now know exactly what you mean when you say "dance music", when in fact, in its heyday, most people wouldn't have had a clue.

I would respectfully suggest that "dance music" won't produce anything interesting for as long as people are waiting for something that sounds like, or is in any meaningful way comparable to, someone else :)

swears

preppy-kei
blunt said:
I suspect that the problem facing the genre is that we all now know exactly what you mean when you say "dance music", when in fact, in its heyday, most people wouldn't have had a clue.

I would respectfully suggest that "dance music" won't produce anything interesting for as long as people are waiting for something that sounds like, or is in any meaningful way comparable to, someone else :)

Good point. It's like I said, I'd like something to come out that just had everybody scratching their heads.

squibl

swears said:
Indie in Britain in 2006 is basically serving the same function as cheesy Metal did in the States in 1986. It's what all the meatheads and bores listen to.

Dance music is in a worse state of irrelevance and stagnation than Indie. At least schoolkids listen to rock music. Mainstream dance music is strictly for other 30s.