THE POGUES - the cases for and against

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
please, zhao, don't do this. i have a strong feeling that this has the potential to be one of the worst combinations of music of all time.

Yeah, I think no matter how good your initial intentions, the end results would tend, almost thermodynamically, towards Enya territory.

STN

sou'wester
I loved Zhao's blogariddim, it must be said.

I always thought someone should put a 4/4 kick under Cumberland Gap. Or Lark Meadow by Fairport Convention.

Anyway, back on point, you know when someone who isn't crazy and nerdy about music elegizes a song they love? One of my friends did that over I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day, and it was utterly convincing.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
makes sense someone named CHAOTROPIC has the same reaction as me :)

might be very hard to master but at least your ganja addled lungs don't have to generate the wind force to power those vibrations ;) i want one too.

Who needs lung power when you have Celtic Twilight? ;)

Those Irish pipes are so complicated, I was watching a tutorial on youtube ... you have to squeeze bellows with your right elbow which feeds a leather air-sac under your left arm, which you press with your left elbow to feed a continuous stream of air into the pipes and drones, while playing the pipe with both hands, while making chords on a second set of drones using your <i>right forearm</i>, while the air supply to the main drone itself is controlled through a kindof apron-thing tied to your legs, allowing it to be shut off for a staccato effect, & all of that has to be coordinated. It's about as much instrument as it's possible to handle without being a spider or an octopus. You could sing too, if you like. Probably some incomprehensible sentimental Irish wailing thing. & huge hairy hard-working men will fall at your feet*, shaking with masculine tears.

There's a weird power in these bag-powered instruments. Harmonium gets me like that. Sometimes even concertinas & accordians, when the players aren't capering around & being all jolly-Jack Tar about it.

* not like that

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have any London types here seen the Heavy Metal Piper busking on the underground? Often to be seen at Liverpool Street, he's this big strapping guy with long dark hair, beard and shades, dressed in a Highland stylee with kilt, long socks and the rest, playing a seriously MEAN set o' pipes. Really fast, intricate fugue-type tunes (well, not really fugues as there's only one actual melody going on, but you see what I mean) played with the speed and sheer bad ass-ness of a Slayer solo. Which is quite fitting, because from the look of him you'd think that's what he listens to when he's not playing bagpipes. I usually give him some money, he's my favourite tube busker along with the Blind Whistler.