No guilty pleasures

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Do these people actually exist outside of Shoreditch/the fevered imagination of an NME features writer?

mms

sometimes
i saw some looking bored in a cafe in crouch end the other day, i go and get my hair cut in crouch end for some reason, i don't live there, weird how it's worked out, my haircuts aren't even particulary good.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Haha, yes, I know what you mean, a friend of mine used to travel all the way to Oxford (from Ascot) to get his haircut at a normal, run-of-the-mill barbers. His hair always looked terrible...

So is this new rave nonsense an indie-thing, or is it more broadly based? Also why doesn't proper dance music have fashion associated with it anymore (with the exception of minimal scarves, obv.)

mms

sometimes
Haha, yes, I know what you mean, a friend of mine used to travel all the way to Oxford (from Ascot) to get his haircut at a normal, run-of-the-mill barbers. His hair always looked terrible...

So is this new rave nonsense an indie-thing, or is it more broadly based? Also why doesn't proper dance music have fashion associated with it anymore (with the exception of minimal scarves, obv.)

its indie based, anyone really into dance would presumably see it for what it is, but its a fresh pair of eyes checking out old post punky dance efforts i guess.
which could produce some fruits, some of the protagonists get minimal types to mix it up etc,
anyway u know there is a thread for this kinda talk already :D

Guybrush

Dittohead
Apropos of the debate on ILX.

i have no idea if this is true or not but i've also always kind of assumed that the freaky trigger group's assumption of the phrase for events and things was kind of a tongue in cheek move, a catchy way to self-identify as being pro-pop and pro-fun, NOT a flag-waving call to arms against any (ghost-unghost) enemies.

Not over here no it isn’t!!!

logo_poptimistic.gif

It says something like: ‘Nice music for a nicer world.’ It’s arranged by the Swedish equivalent of Tesco, and the line-up is so saccharine even the most die-hard poptimist cannot but cringe: Andreas Johnson, Jill Johnson, Marit Bergman, Sahara Hotnights, Sebastian ... (SebastiAn? Ha ha, you wish!)

Hmm, I wonder where they got the name from ...

There are billboards advertising it all over Stockholm, anyway.

N

nomadologist

ahh now you're onto something as this seems to be the opposite of the kind of thing that's happening now, the crisp and defined snare sounds are thrown out and the cheesy wailing diva and overrought rhodes chords are the bits being kept,
so its ok to do a punky cover of better off alone by whoever it was, typically melody being more important to rhythm things get celebrated simply because they are tuneful in that respect. Maybe thats the only current aspect of this transition and its not really as radical as it threatens to be, but then you get someone like dubstepper d1 doing a version of 'you're not alone' by olive, it's a lovely tune though isnt it?
it's a weird kind of exploration.

i really think that the new tendency toward making covers of great songs rather than great songs, like the ones you mention, is an interesting turn for music to take. i think we finally have enough cultural distance from the "classics" to finally be able to see the dark underbelly of a lot of what seemed at the time to be pure top 40 pap. and at the same time, enough of "post-ironic" distance to question the entire construct our canons rest upon.

i think it's interesting, for example, when someone covers a song like "better off alone" in a way that sonically emphasizes the "emotional core" of what the lyrics and melody are doing in the song but at the same time takes it somewhere weirder and even kind of creepy. there's a danger of becoming too much of a diplo-esque cultural tourist with no destination here, but there's also a lot of room to let production values and the digital aesthetic take over when you're working this way.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
it occured to me the other day, and the way that new rave people dress, the ott dayglo acid trip shit and big coloured glasses.

ITS TIMMY FUCKIN MALLET!!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:eek:

Last edited: