"Halfstep"

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Does it? I don't think Amit's half-time style ends up sounding like that at all - you've still got lots of ghost snare hits and other rapid elements going on.
I think there might be something in the sound of the drums as well that makes half-tempo or downtempo stuff by dnb producers still sound distinct. Maybe it's that they tend to be short which keeps the thing feeling sharp, maybe it's just that you recognise the sounds as characteristically drum and bassy and anticipate the speed even though it isn't there.

Breakage's downtempo stuff off TTSP is a good example, too...

Got any lo bit tune linkage you can throw up noel ?

Only Amit I've heard was on a breezeblock and Ma Hobbs warrior dub selection. Too much like hardout d'n'b for my tastes. Be keen to hear his halfstep take.

Is it like that latest Tech itch on Ascension ? Starts out thinking it's gonna be a hardsteppa but then goes into this unswung halftime thing that is way out there. I like it though cos it's different.

muser

I would say anything thats at half time is half step really? So its baiscally 70 bpm instead of 140. examples such as most of scubas tunes skream simling face, loefah mud etc.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I don't think it has to be to do with beat patterns really, even less to do with snares.

i disagree. it was a clear decision to program half the number of snares per bar, put between the usual garage accents, that brought halfstep about. sine of the dub has the only percussive element (the cymbol) on the third too!

dont get me wrong, i have no interest in the definition of halfstep being a rigid one because i think the ideas it throws up, in particular asymmetrical bar patterns, are now far more interesting than "kick space snare space" pattern, but the origin of the term for this kind of pattern is clear.

Crikey that mix was hard and fast. Maybe could have done with slowing down and some latin percussion thrown in. I probably still wouldn't have liked it though. Maybe I am just a nuskooldubstep snob.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
bit elaborate all this isn't it?
to describe something that describes itself pretty well?:)

We need to define it for the ages. When this discussion is dug up on some buried backup tape centuries from now it's important that our descendants do not misinterpret the various sub-styles of post uk-garage dance music.

mms

sometimes
We need to define it for the ages. When this discussion is dug up on some buried backup tape centuries from now it's important that our descendants do not misinterpret the various sub-styles of post uk-garage dance music.

The words 'half step' does that.
anything more has the essence of butterfly collecting imo.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
blackdown said:
sine of the dub has the only percussive element (the cymbol) on the third too!

The cymbal's on the 2 and the 4.

Assuming that the bass hits on the 1 I get that the cymbals are on 2.5 and 4.5. Or if you count doubletime then on the 4.

But you can assume that the bass actually finishes the bar then the cymbal DOES hit on the 3. Eh...could go either way.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Assuming that the bass hits on the 1 I get that the cymbals are on 2.5 and 4.5. Or if you count doubletime then on the 4.

But you can assume that the bass actually finishes the bar then the cymbal DOES hit on the 3. Eh...could go either way.

The bass hits on the one and the three, it doesn't finish the bar. That's the point I was making - it's not any of the percussive elements that gives the tune it's half step feel - it's the bass. The natural feeling of the tune dictates that the cymbal is on the second and fourth beats of the bar. Rhythm can come from anywhere, to limit it to percussion is ridiculous. To claim that half-time is dictated by a specific snare placement is equally ridiculous, and far too limiting as a definition.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It's always been to me kicks on the first and 3rd beat of the bar and a snare/crash/clap on top of the 3rd beat.

You can trick the halfstep beat out just by rolling your closed hi-hats up to double time.

I been thinking of 3/4 time halfstep. Like a slow waltz with the standard dubstep treatment and no drop. That'd be fun. Anyone care to give it a bash ? Imagine trying to mix it :eek:

You can trick the halfstep beat out just by rolling your closed hi-hats up to double time.

I saw a video on the TV this morning (didn't catch the name of artist but she sounded pretty good) which sounded like halfstep R'n'B - busy hi-hats and snare fills running twice the speed of the main kick-clap riddim. nice tune. wish i knew what it was called...:confused: