Best DJ Premier tracks

henry s

Street Fighting Man
jeru - come clean. one of the best records ever.

Green Gartside has taken to covering this on his current Scritti tour, and I gotta say, he nails it!...(seriously, he should release it, at least as a b-side)...

that first Jeru record is awesome...the cover art: is that the WTC I see burning in the background?...(this was released in '94, so I do not recall the same kerfuffle that accompanied The Coup's record in '01)...

whatever happened to Jeru?

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I saw Jeru play with OC (what happened to him come to think of it?) in a Manhattan HMV in '97 - was amazing.

But anyway - Primo - His mixtape New York Reality Check 101 is one of the finest collections of independent hip hop releases I know of.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Not a damn thing...

Green Gartside has taken to covering this on his current Scritti tour, and I gotta say, he nails it!...(seriously, he should release it, at least as a b-side)...

that first Jeru record is awesome...the cover art: is that the WTC I see burning in the background?...(this was released in '94, so I do not recall the same kerfuffle that accompanied The Coup's record in '01)...

whatever happened to Jeru?

After the Telecommunications Act of 1996, nearly every conscious/Afrocentric artist that was on a major label got dropped and ended up on the underground within 2 years. Jeru released several independent albums including "Heroz 4 Hire" and "Divine Design". All of his updated information is on his MySpace page...search for it. One.

viktorvaughn

I saw Jeru play with OC (what happened to him come to think of it?) in a Manhattan HMV in '97 - was amazing.

But anyway - Primo - His mixtape New York Reality Check 101 is one of the finest collections of independent hip hop releases I know of.

Funny how some of these old dons who got tons of respect at thier prime slip away a bit...

I caught Craig G a couple of years ago and he had this totally rough, deep voices, made his boyish verses from the Symphony et al almost unregognisable!

Nobody knew who he was i swear (it was a club night...) and he walked around looking pissed of quite a bit. Gotta feel sorry for him, at least people like the Wu have made a decent pot of money before (largely) falling of the music radar (in my opinion anyway!).

crackerjack

""whatever happened to Jeru?"

After the Telecommunications Act of 1996, nearly every conscious/Afrocentric artist that was on a major label got dropped and ended up on the underground within 2 years."

PD, can you tell more about this act and its implications?

I thought Jeru simply fell out with Primo and fell off.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Eh....

""whatever happened to Jeru?"

After the Telecommunications Act of 1996, nearly every conscious/Afrocentric artist that was on a major label got dropped and ended up on the underground within 2 years."

PD, can you tell more about this act and its implications?

I thought Jeru simply fell out with Primo and fell off.

Actually, the ENTIRE Gangstarr Foundation (Jeru Tha Damaja, Afu Ra, Group Home) fell out with DJ Premier and Guru after a while because they felt they weren't helping their careers enough. The bigger issue was after the Telecommunications Act was passed, every independently owned radio station in every market that had its own consultants was bought out by either Emmis Communications (Hot 97) or Clearchannel. In a year's time every radio station in America was either a Hot 97, a Power 10whatever or a Kiss 98 or 99 FM.

Then came the dreaded 60 Add Rule, wherein any song that was to be added to the regular rotation in ALL REGIONS had to be added to 60 stations that Tuesday of the singles release or it wouldn't make the rotation...since the West Coast and Southern stations greatly outnumbered the East Coast stations (and the Midwest tended to be split down the middle), groups like Boot Camp Click and Wu Tang Clan who were staples on the radio between 1993-1996, were pretty much shut out of it.

Next came the Bad Boy/No Limit Era and shiny suits, Cristal, Bentleys, platinum jewelry, stretch Lexuses, and mafioso alter egos/crack rap blew up...Every conscious act (Jeru Tha Damaja included) was dropped from their labels between 1997-1999 due to low sales and low interest from the buying public. Kicking knowledge, positivity and consciousness was no longer cool....Now it was time to throw your rollies in the sky and wave 'em from side to side or roll throw the city showing off your bling...It forced them all underground to indie labels...where they've been since. Cats like AZ and Jeru still make albums. They just can't get on the radio or video stations....FUCK VIACOM! One.

luka

times up is buckwild, def not premier, covert or otherwise and im pretty sure the juicy remix is pete rock.

petergunn

plywood violin
Nobody knew who he was i swear (it was a club night...) and he walked around looking pissed of quite a bit. Gotta feel sorry for him, at least people like the Wu have made a decent pot of money before (largely) falling of the music radar (in my opinion anyway!).

a few years back, i saw Les from the Beatnuts spin a great set of rare funk and hip hop and basically get ignored... he put on Off the Books just to kinda hip people to the fact it was him and still people were Eh,,, the punchline? it was at an MC SHOWCASE NIGHT. so, there were dudes there throwing their demo CDs around on every table in the place, but didn't step up and give Les one... i mean this is a dude who had one of the hottest beats of the last 10 years and put Yella Klaw on it...

hint

party record with a siren
Cats like AZ and Jeru still make albums. They just can't get on the radio or video stations....FUCK VIACOM! One.

Sure... but Jeru has made precisely one good song ("War") since Wrath Of The Math. It's not like he'd be huge if he got more national exposure.

crackerjack

"It's not like he'd be huge if he got more national exposure."

Maybe if he was getting more national expsoure he'd make more good songs because hot producers would want to work with him. Imagine hearing him on a Just Blaze banger.

Woebot

similar time tho same place
both came out of d and d studios.
buckwild worked there and all, some of his productions are fantastique.
blazay blazay etc..

ah you see again this was an ego trip book of rap lists premier's covert operations tip-off....so that it was actually made in D&D studios makes me think there might not be so much oeuf-sur-le-visage