Racism in the US

D84

well, that's the whole point of racism isn't it: to set the lower classes to fighting amongst themselves instead of chasing the real crooks. It's all about displacement...

As they say in the classics: Everyone's a nigger when you're working for the man.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
Back to the original post , this was an appalling incident and something that happens more then it ever should be it here in the US or anyplace on the planet (as it surely does).
I am curious though , the account on the blog post never identifies the race of the hotel employee ...
Is that known ?
Nope, not as far as I know.

Incidentally Sokari's posted an interesting follow up post on 'Blogging, social networking and activism' which is worth reading.

gabriel

The Heatwave
the hotel story is crazy, can't believe that still happens in the us!

i thuoght though, that the proposal to boycott the hotel is kind of self-defeating perhaps - isn't that exactly what the hotel wants? ie no black people going to stay there... kind of re-affirming the segregation. of course i imagine lots of non-black people will boycott it as well, and i can't see what other sanctions they've got...

swears

preppy-kei
Jim Goad reckons that if you're poor and black, in the States, you're considered a victim of oppression. But if you're poor and white, it's unfairly considered to be your own dumb fault.

Is this position really that prevalent?

Guybrush

Dittohead
I may be threading on thin ice here, but I don't think the Richards' story is nearly as clear-cut racist as the Ngũgĩ one: in the latter story a person was singled out and treated disrespectfully because of his skin colour (apartheid at its worst), whereas in the former a person in affect aimed to find the most scathing slur he could think of and settled for the "forbidden" (and therefore the most effective) one. The notion that a raging man should somehow, in the heat of the moment, restrain himself and go for the "next-to-worst" insult is laughable: of course he goes for the worst one, of course he doesn't give a hoot whether it's a low-blow, a no-no, or what-have-you -- he's raging, and anything that will get the job done he'll use. (Feel free to exchange "he" for "she.")

Does this mean that society should accept the use of such grave affronts? Not in my opinion. They ought, however, to be viewed soberly and without all the racial neurosis that seem to imbue American debate. In that Letterman interview, Richards seemed to imply that he needed help, not because he was mad as a hatter, but because of the words he used -- kind of like the American debate at large, or am I talking through my hat?

N

nomadologist

Did someone equate the two events, Guybrush? I must have missed that.

Also, I'm sure I understand what you mean by "neurotic." I actually think what was once considered "racist" or "racially charged" language has been broken down and reconstituted by South Park, The Simpson, hip-hop's use of slang, etc. I think many black people probably rolled their eyes at Kramer whateverhisnameis, thinking "this guy wants 15 more minutes in the limelight." It worked for Mel Gibson.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Did someone equate the two events, Guybrush? I must have missed that.

Also, I'm sure I understand what you mean by "neurotic." I actually think what was once considered "racist" or "racially charged" language has been broken down and reconstituted by South Park, The Simpson, hip-hop's use of slang, etc. I think many black people probably rolled their eyes at Kramer whateverhisnameis, thinking "this guy wants 15 more minutes in the limelight." It worked for Mel Gibson.
No, nobody equated the two events, but as they are being discussed in the same thread, a thread named "Racism in the US," I believe that pointing out the differences between the two has some merit.

I'm not so sure about these kinds of expressions having been de-galvanized: judging from the video they still seem to have unsettling qualities, but perhaps things were even worse a couple of years ago, what do I know. (The term "racially insensitive" makes me cringe: Why should one care, let alone be sensitive, about others "race" at all?)

petergunn

plywood violin
Jim Goad reckons that if you're poor and black, in the States, you're considered a victim of oppression. But if you're poor and white, it's unfairly considered to be your own dumb fault.

Is this position really that prevalent?

among whom?

i think his point is rich, white people will spend time and money trying to help poor blacks (b/c it alieviates their guilt, about, say, living in a neighborhood with no black people), but wouldn't help poor whites... and i think there is truth in that.

among whom?

i think his point is rich, white people will spend time and money trying to help poor blacks (b/c it alieviates their guilt, about, say, living in a neighborhood with no black people), but wouldn't help poor whites... and i think there is truth in that.
maybe locally...

...but does anyone think if africa were populated mostly by whites that g8 would do more to help as in rwanda ??? or say if bosnia were mostly black that they would have left them to their own devices ???

replace those world vision ads of starving black kids with white kids and as a white person how would you feel ???

...perhaps more eager to help out your own "race" as it were ???

tate

Brown Sugar
...but does anyone think if africa were populated mostly by whites that g8 would do more to help as in rwanda ??? or say if bosnia were mostly black that they would have left them to their own devices ???
I take your point but in the interest of history, let's keep the facts straight. Bosnia *was* left to its own devices for three years, or more precisely, to Serbia and Croatia's devices, from 1992-1995, during which period an estimated 200,000 people died at the hands of the Yugoslav and Croatian armies.

Last edited:
^^^was that because of media supression ??? I remember as soon as i first started seeing bosnian refugees thinking 'yup they're gonna go in there now.'

It's not a good look and not one the west is accustomed to seeing.

Africa on the other hand. Well, I've always grown up seeing impovrished black people on TV that now i'm mostly desensitised to it. Almost as though it's expected.

charlie

Because black people define cool, right? :)

I seem to remember some eps where there was a black character and the whities were all stiff and awkward, i.e. playing up how sheltered white people don't know how to act around blacks. "Its a black person! Do I have to say yo?" kind of thing...

Growing up in Palmerston North - the town was practically segregated. I played with Maori/PI kids in primary school, but by high school it was 98% stratified by race/class.

Biggest racist post i have seen on here.

"whities"..wtf?

Anyway, every place is segregated, go anywhere in Europe or America....

You will get communities of specific different races, and even some religions (i.e. Muslims), not many communities are a big mix. They talk about "multi-cultural" society.. that means the country is full of different races, doesnt mean anyone will accept each other, obviously they dont, hence why segregation still happens in the 21st century!

Your town, city or estate may be multi-race but in most cases, all blocks are made up of different races. Some towns/cities even have majority races.

charlie

class NEEDS to be represented more in the US, but it isn't.... partly because everyone sees themselves as Middle Class... plus the complete blurring of the lines of blue and white collar and their respective tradional class idenities muddies things further (i.e. is a teacher who makes 35,000 a year less working class than a landscaper who makes 55,000?)

it depends where you are, as well...

i have a friend from East Boston, a working class Italian neighborhood in Boston, who got a scholarship to go to high school in D.C. and he said the first thing he noticed was that the town was divided into basically:

rich whites
poor blacks

wheras Boston, has PLENTY of poor whites in South Boston, Dorchester, Charlestown, etc etc etc...

(which is why the whole busing thing in the 70's was so horrible... poor whites from southies fighting with poor blacks from roxbury and it's not as if either of them had a pot to piss in...)

but, towns like boston, philly (kensington, yo), there are large working class (and working poor) white neighborhoods...

when i lived san diego, for every working class black or latin neighborhood, there was a white equivilant (remember, this is where Steinbeck's Oakie's ended up... good town to buy C&W records!)...

so, i wouldn't say the race/class thing is THAT hard fast of a rule... which i always thought was the problem with affirmitive action, i feel like it should have done on an economic, rather than a racial basis... i grew with a latin girl whose father was an astronaut and it bugs me to think she would get a slot in life somewhere quicker than the irish kid who's dad was an alcoholic truck driver... as i believe Jim Goad once said, the problem with affirmitive action is it punishes the children of the white share croppers rather than the children of the slave owners...

edit: decent explaination of southie busing riots, for brits and other non-bostonians:
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~fup/password/southboston.html

Why i would never live in the US.

All us internationals hear of America being the richest nation and big places like New York, las vegas etc. but it werent until the hurricane that many people realised the huge divide in the country, of extremely rich and extrememly poor (ok, they are some inbetween) and how their own government would ignore them and allow them to die.

I could go on... but i am in a rush...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes but the point remains, that if segregationary attitudes/impulses are calcified during schooling, then forcing kids to mix rather than drift into parallel cultures is a worthwhile policy to pursue...