(the inevitable dumb) BEST OF '06 (thread)

mms

sometimes
it has been a fallow year for things that take your breath away.

i got quite dubstepped out by september but the hyperdub axis did it for me.

been getting back into hip hop, donuts, count bass d, kidtronic, hyphy, clipse mixtapes, flying lotus, lots of older stuff i missed out on when i was swearing blind it was over for hip hop.
been getting back into jazz too, esp fusiony electronicish stuff.
and been getting into krautrockish bits and tangerine dreamy axis, african stuff, i don't know much about.

dance wise i enjoyed villalobos 2 new ones alot, mymy's album, clark's album, a womans scent remix by drexciyan bloke, for dan by the rice twins, that carl craig delia and gavin thing. dmz and shackleton, breakage, suburban knights hi monster, dave adju, jesse somfay, tadd mullinx and friends twisted knackerd acid excurisons, sahko reissues, secret mommy, john tejada's superb single on scape, some other stuff.

weirdnoiserockstuff i liked was
the excellent all versus all by wasteland, the excellent dekorder label esp kuupu and john hegre, the yeah yeah yeahs album, mainly cos the singer sounds like a dog on heat, trencher's ugliness, the ghostbox crew, the great scatter album, a mountain announces, parouvarjou's yaa hamara, new york noise 4, boris and sunn's collaboration. the broadcast comp, grizzly bear

dancehall wise just really ding dong, busy signal, baby cham, except his horrible gay bashing sleng teng version.

mainly been watching more films, and loving it,on dvd more or less, trying to read books and failing, which makes me sad, being more stressed out and worried letting work take over more, trying to do more exercise, the two highlights of the year have been going to new york and brussells and finally getting the flat to ourselves and not having a lodger no more.

low lights are the shit on television all the time, tiredness, madness ,and work and the enormous amount of shit you have to ignore on a daily basis just to do what you need to do, lack of money and people expecting you to do things whilst denying you the tools to do them, the infinite stupidity of bureaucracy and people who say they'll do things and then spend more energy avoiding doing them, even if you pay them to do them, and other con artists, people constantly applauding those who maintain reactionary culture or do nothing to deserve it, whilst they spend more money on their credit cards trying to mimic them. The fact that religion seems to mean so much this year to people. These things will change though i feel it in my seaweed.

i really want to hear newsoms record.

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Zeitgeist?
That was the exact concept I was thinking of. Pursuing newness for the sake of it, getting most of one's kicks out of living in the "now," I think is overrated because it' frustrating and exhausting equally as much as it's rewarding. I'm not saying that it's wrong, just that it could be healthy to reflect on its downsides. (Full disclosure: I'm not practising what I preach in the slightest.)

DJ PIMP

I do enjoy things that speak to the current time but hate feeling isolated by the present. Part of what I've enjoyed so much about music this year is hearing current and emerging trends that revolve around a set of historical axes I find naturally appealing, and still manage to sound fresh, and aren't being churned out in the overly self-conscious manner of a lot of fashion cycles.

2006 has been a monster convergence of all kinds of awesomeness, and I will be very happy if 2007 is even half as exciting as I anticipate...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Skream - Skream!
Kode 9 and the Spaceape - Memories of the Future
T.I. - King
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Burial - Burial (although it took me a long long time to get into it, but I like music that does that)
JME's Boy Better Know mixtape series
Purple Ribbon Allstars - Got Purp? vol. 2
Benga - Invasion EP
Mary Anne Hobbs' Warrior Dubz
All Digital Mystikz 12"s
Scratchy - Shangooli (because it finally fucking came out)
JME - Badderman EP
Newham Generals - Best of the Newham Generals
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (never found the time to listen to the whole album)
Tracks 2-6 from Nelly Furtado - Loose
Timbaland's production for Timberlake
Keak Da Sneak - Block Music
E-40 - My Ghetto Report Card
Busta Rhymes - Touch It (and the remixes)
The Streets - The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living

Last edited:

Leo

Newness is overrated anyway.

this is SO true, although i admit to often being suckered by the lure of the new myself. gets a little tiring to constantly hear "the new thing" hyped simply because it's the new thing, not because it's anything special. remember: all the crap releases that now languish in the $1 bin were new at one point!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
dance wise i enjoyed villalobos 2 new ones alot, mymy's album, clark's album, a womans scent remix by drexciyan bloke, for dan by the rice twins, that carl craig delia and gavin thing. dmz and shackleton, breakage, suburban knights hi monster, dave adju, jesse somfay, tadd mullinx and friends twisted knackerd acid excurisons, sahko reissues, secret mommy, john tejada's superb single on scape, some other stuff.

Yeah, Tadd Mullinix has been the man the last few years. I am kind of amazed that he is producing in so many different styles: minimal, jungle and acid house.

Jesse Somfay - I've heard a track or two and I really like that he is bringing melody into the music.

What about the Carl Craig album. Noone's mentioned it. It was sort of a reissue but I've heard that it was different enough to really be a new album. I haven't heard it yet or the original so can't really say.

And for the record, I hated "Falling Up".

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, Tadd Mullinix has been the man the last few years. I am kind of amazed that he is producing in so many different styles: minimal, jungle and acid house.
And some kind of take on hip-hop, as Dabrye... I'd like to say that third Dabrye album was in my best of the year, cos he's an amazing producer, but it just failed to hit the spot for me. Mainly it's down to kinda boring MCs, I think I prefer his instrumentals.

Jesse Somfay - I've heard a track or two and I really like that he is bringing melody into the music.
If you want to hear more, he did a free net release on the pretty decent Archipel label last year. I don't listen to it much, but it's pretty good.

claphands

Poorly-known member
Sibylle Baier - Colour Green

This is from 1973, if you aren't counting reissues.

It's still preliminary, but here's some albums I like:

LPs:
Best:
tenhi - maaet
burial - s/t
clipse - hhnf
josephine foster - a wolf in sheep's clothing

Good:
wolves in the throne room - diadem of 12 stars
chico buarque - carioca
the roots - game theory
z-ro - i'm still livin
black ox orkestar - nisht azoy
alastair galbraith/alex neilson/richard youngs - belsayer time
benoit pioulard - precis
vybz kartel - jmt
puto prata - sao voces
negura bunget - om
espers - espers II

EPs:
buraka som sistema
bonde do role

Singles:
cassie - me and u
jt - my love
ti - what you know
nelly furtado f/ lil wayne - maneater (remix)

There will probably will be more hip hop and metal on my final list and maybe one of the other dubstep LPs.

Also, the grime mixtapes were massive, but - like someone else said - none were cohesive enough to end up in this post. Guns and Roses 2 included.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'm adding Sunno)))/Boris - "Altar" and Clipse - "Hell hath..." (esp "Keys Open Doors" and "Ride Around Shining") as late winners too. Clipse album is brilliant, just minimal beats, elegantly inventive coke-rhymes, and nothing else!

Last edited:

claphands

Poorly-known member
it seems like everybody over here has declared grime dead and buried,

If my post gave you that impression, I'm sorry. This has actually been of my favorite years for grind. If the tunnel vision mixtapes cut out the slowjams and the occasional hip hop beat and were mixed into one album it could easily be my favorite things of the year. A lot of the other discs were pretty filler heavy too, but the best songs on each were tops

I fully rate 'various production - the world is gone'...

...when the dust of dubstep settles, people will look back on this album in the same light as massive attacks and portishead debuts

other highlights of the year so far have been Timbaland re establishing himself as leader of the pop/r'n'b pack, Ryan Leslie as perhaps the natural successor to timbo, the return of Benga to the fore of dubstep, Lady sovs stateside debut and the rise and rise in NZ hiphop production values...

mms

sometimes
I fully rate 'various production - the world is gone'...

...when the dust of dubstep settles, people will look back on this album in the same light as massive attacks and portishead debuts

other highlights of the year so far have been Timbaland re establishing himself as leader of the pop/r'n'b pack, Ryan Leslie as perhaps the natural successor to timbo, the return of Benga to the fore of dubstep, Lady sovs stateside debut and the rise and rise in NZ hiphop production values...

hmm it's not of the same quality at all but i get the relationship to dubstep in the same waqy massive had arelationship to reggae and hip hop.
that album flopped massivley after xl spent big sums on em.

^^^more the fool on XL's part spending big money on trad forms of marketing, but give it a couple of years and it'll show dividends by word of mouth and in comparing it to what else came out this year. A true sleeper.

As soon as dubstep matures enough to handle vocals properly in the manner that DMZ remixed fat freddies drop - cay's crays, people will realise what a bloody good album 'the world is gone' really is, even if only for the welcome use of female vocals in dubstep songmanship

I think 'hater' is as good a song as anything portishead or massive attack did in their prime or on debut and maybe it is just me but i can hear the lineage traced from UK downbeat and trip hop thorugh to various production.The difference being the mashup of 21st century glitch, tech, native folk and dubstep values. It definitely has a wider geographical UK relevence as opposed to dubsteps more familiar, co opted, eastern ethnic elements or haunting, london-centric post-garage 2step.

It is a very cohesive album from start to finish and lets be honest, it pisses all over memories, oneiric, skream and even burial. Their appeal was in the immediacy of the present in looking backwards and pure bassweight. Various' appeal is in the craftmanship of the songs and subtle production. Her voice also has a more endearing quality than the novelty value of that newsom woman.

Cay's crays also being something of a milestone this year in possibly being the first song outside the genre to be given a dubstep 'remix'. Expect more and what a treat they'll be too. Of course the dubstep purists will hate dubstep remixes but they've tended until recently to hate on anything that's a bit different or hints at the mainstream.

I put that down to the yoof being defensive about their scene being jacked by oldies or outsiders who are more musically developed and maybe not aiming their releases at the cliquey dance club scene.

IMO

mms

sometimes
^^^more the fool on XL's part spending big money on trad forms of marketing,

they didn't, they spent alot of money on signing them, and the album was by 'various', it didn't work, no one could find it in the racks etc and the critical response was luke warm as the album isn't that good.

^^^no shit. If anything that highlights the dearth of decent A&R people in the industry and the risk in sign on fees for artists in the digital age. I also tend not to take what critics have to say too seriously and trust my own judgment... a lot :D

mms

sometimes
^^^no shit. If anything that highlights the dearth of decent A&R people in the industry and the risk in sign on fees for artists in the digital age. :D

so you do or don't think they are good?

it's lots of things, their image, or anonymity, their name being impossible to find online or in the shops, not very good album released too quickly, over egged hype based on the response to a great selection of singles, critical reponse to a not great album or understated to say the least, the label not knowing what to do to sort it out. It could have been different imo. There are still many artists who get signed who do very well.

^^^I think it's a bloody good album that's getting slept on. I wouldn't have signed them for a huge sum nor would I have signed them on the strength of few singles. I would have made sure they had a 'live' presence to tour on the back of the release that consisted of more than just a DJ and a vocalist and wouldn't have forked out a large sign on fee if they didn't. The risk taken and subsequent failing of the album is more to do with the labels marketing and A&R personell and maybe the pressure they exerted on the artist to release within a timeframe and niche which didn't suit them.

The release was possibly overshadowed by burial and the similarity in marketing the anonymity of the artist. If you take burial out of this years releases, various would have had more shine but in comparison they lacked the urban street cred hyperdub affords their roster.

gumdrops

did anyone hear the micah album on herbert's accidental label. i absolutely love this record. its produced by arto lindsay. its a bit demo ish at times and i dont know if his voice is just weak or if they didnt use the best takes but you get used to it. its kinda like ar kane, tv on the radio, thompson twins, prince, dwele, arthur russell and maybe tricky. i really recommend it. its a shame it got so little exposure.