Breaking News: RZA completely jocks Wiley

AshRa

hint said:
heh - I think it's not really an in-joke encouraged by the artists. more like certain sections of the press creaming themselves over the idea that these kids have crafted this hot! exciting! urban! genre! on a nicked playstation or a dirt cheap piece of software. as if it makes a difference... :rolleyes:

Like Malcolm McClaren recently getting all excited about discovering 'chip music' and getting ALL the facts wrong! :)

I remember reading a hip hop production forum full of people quaking in their boots because they'd seen a photo of 9th Wonder's studio and *SHOCK HORROR* it was a PC running Fruity Loops with not an SP12 or an MPC60 in sight!!

hint

party record with a siren
AshRa said:
I remember reading a hip hop production forum full of people quaking in their boots because they'd seen a photo of 9th Wonder's studio and *SHOCK HORROR* it was a PC running Fruity Loops with not an SP12 or an MPC60 in sight!!

ha! it's nuts - the hip hop scene's probably one of the worst for that kind of thing. was it the future producers forum by any chance? the number one "what's the best mic for hip hop?" forum ;)

there's a massive number of people who think that, say, primo builds his beats on an MPC60 then plugs it directly into a vinyl lathe to cut the final track or something. "yeah - the MPC60 makes your beats sound bangin'. that's what primo uses!"... nah... DND studios make the beats *bang*. an experienced engineer makes the beats *bang*.

primo selects great samples and builds great beats, sure. and yes - the MPC60 has a certain type of sound quality (sample rates, A/D -> D/A conversion), but it's certainly not the answer to all your boom bap needs.

I even saw one discussion saying "I know for A FACT that the MPC2000 operating system was written on a PC. that means it sounds worse than the MPC60"... crazy! as if the MPC60's operating system was written on stone tablets or something then ground down to a fine paste that's spread inside each machine. y'know - it's more real like that.

it's such a shame that there are kids posting on internet forums using PCs that are more than up to the job of making full tracks, yet they still feel pressured into saving up for a piece of hardware like an MPC. I bought my MPC cos I didn't own a computer - had never owned one. it was my cheapest option at the time for a suitable all-in-one sampler and sequencer.