Stalked!

N

nomadologist

i love irigaray. once the 'grandaddy' of hypertext told me i reminded him of a "young cixous", which was probably sexual harassment, but i took it as a compliment

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In my experience, newspapers have precious little courtesy for anyone.
I'm pretty sure anonymity for complainants is enshrined in UK law, as every now and then there's a suggestion to remove it and it makes a huge stink. I just think there should be anonymity for the defendent as well, until a guilty verdict is reached, if it's reached. Otherwise someone is being effectively punished for a crime they didn't even necessarily commit. The accused also gets a permanent police record too, even if he's acquitted, which is ridiculous.

N

nomadologist

you get a permanent police record if you have to file a police report to get cell phone insurance, too.

N

nomadologist

when all else fails, use the system for all its worth

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
you get a permanent police record if you have to file a police report to get cell phone insurance, too.

There are police records, and there are police records. This is a reader's comment from the BBC website:

"I was accused of rape in the UK. I was arrested, humiliated, I had intimate samples taken, I was told these would remain on file whatever the outcome. The next day the young lady (whom I had never had any intimate relations with) retracted her story. I still had to remain on police bail for many months, losing my resident status over here in the USA, until the forensics, which took 5 months (!!) came back negative. The girl meanwhile had been sectioned at the behest of the police themselves, in a mental hospital as a delusional schizophrenic. The officer who questioned me later admitted that of the cases she investigated, 80% were either girls getting drunk and regretting having sex the next day, or girls afraid of facing up to their pregnancies and using 'rape' as an excuse for outcome of casual sex. It took me many months and thousands of dollars to regain my status here, whilst I spent two years in the UK jobless, sometimes homeless, and often friendless."
Doug, Northville USA

Now I don't know whether that "80%" statistic is bollocks or not, but it seems rather harsh for the guy to be treated like that before anything's been proven against him, no?

N

nomadologist

80% of the cases are regretting having sex??? so then these women who regret one private act would go and and spend years AT TRIAL over it? huuuhhh???

oh, a cop said that? i'm really surprised. because american cops are super-educated about sexism.

N

nomadologist

for every one falsely accused man, rest assured hundreds of girls are getting raped and abused and not even reporting it because they know what happens--idiots say shit like "80% of cases are drunks regretting it the next day."

TOTAL BULLSHIT

N

nomadologist

my ex-roommate got raped when she was 13. she would have panic attacks so bad she couldn't breathe, at random intervals during the day. she would wake up screaming. she developed an eating disorder, which they finally treated with medication. the medication didn't work. she still has PTSD. it's debilitating. she can barely keep a job.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
80% of the cases are regretting having sex??? so then these women who regret one private act would go and and spend years AT TRIAL over it? huuuhhh???

oh, a cop said that? i'm really surprised. because american cops are super-educated about sexism.

This was in the UK, and you'll note it was a female poilce officer who made the comment.
As I said, that statistic could be total rubbish, I have no idea. Although I expect a police officer has a better idea than I do.
What I'm saying is that there are cases of false accusation - let's not argue over how many, because neither of us knows - and not only do these obviously royally fuck over the assused, they also make it more likely that real victims will not be believed. I'm not denying, either, that improvements need to be made in the way complaints of rape are handled, to make it easier for real victims to see their attackers brought to justice.

N

nomadologist

Where did you read this story again? And females are often all too happy to oblige the phallogocentric order of things to piggyback on male privilege.

I'm just going to have to bow out of this discussion because I'm fucking seething right now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
my ex-roommate got raped when she was 13. she would have panic attacks so bad she couldn't breathe, at random intervals during the day. she would wake up screaming. she developed an eating disorder, which they finally treated with medication. the medication didn't work. she still has PTSD. it's debilitating. she can barely keep a job.

Am I defending rapists? No.
Am I saying rape isn't an absolutely appalling crime? No.
Am I saying that more shouldn't to be done to convict rapists? No.

All I'm saying is that the law, as it stands in the UK, treats men accused of this crime as criminals before anything has been proven against them, which is counter to the basic tenet of British law that people are innocent until proven otherwise.

N

nomadologist

i lost interest in what you were saying after you did not find a fucking "readers comment" on a website rather dubious in its claim that a "police officer said" that 80% of rape accusations are "drunks regretting it the next day."

how are they treated as guilty? everyone who gets indicted for anything has to make bail, go to trail, etc. how are accused rapists treated differently than, say, accused armed burglars?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not making it up, if that's what you mean - it's here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6314445.stm

Note also that the main thrust of the article is on the very low conviction rate for rape, which I agree is an waful thing.

I don't think anyone accused of a crime should have their name released to the press until they are proven guilty, but rape is a particularly extreme case of this because of the extreme stigma attached to it. Even if someone is acquitted, people will always say "no smoke without fire" and all that rubbish. The guy who left that comment on the website lost his job, his residency permit and spent time on the streets - not least because it took 5 months for some lab results to come back. Obviously, until he was cleared they had make sure he didn't skip the country, but the rest of it sounds like very harsh treatment for a man who was eventually found innocent.

N

nomadologist

i'm not saying you made it up. but if i could have that police officer's badge/phone number, that would be better.

are you fucking kidding me? i know if a guy in my neighborhood who killed a woman (vietnam vet, was an accident but occurred during a burglary), did the time, and he has NO PROBLEM getting work. i know rape victims who get called whores and sluts and whatever and had to move out of their hometowns because of it.

i grew up in the town where the "casablanca 5" incident happened--a gang rape of a woman in a bar/restaurant. this woman lived next door to me:

http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F00F10FC3E5D0C748EDDAA0894DE494D81

THIS is the norm in the U.S.