the slow decline of berwick street record shops [was: reckless records]

john eden

male pale and stale
Technically not ON Berwick Street, but I saw Uptown Records has now left it's premises of the last god knows how many years. That just leaves BM Soho as the only purveyor of Garrij i the area.

Wow.

I think Uptown have moved across the road above another shop or something?

Logan

Grime Guru
They still have their office across the road which is a room on the second floor down that alley.

It isn't a shop though. They still operate mail order, but you certainly won't be going in there to listen to tunes.

mms

sometimes
well sister ray didn't go into liquidation, it just decided no more, cos the rents there are ridiculous, the charge is the same for everyone per square foot, and they were loosing big money, the only places left standing will be those that own their buildings, so that's sounds of the universe as the guy owns it, and maybe phonica as that whole operation is privately funded, dunno if the shop is bought though.

really hope black market is ok, they need to get their back catalogue online, uptown was originally upstairs so maybe they will go small dunno, woul be a shame not to have a physical space there for them.

Hope these people go online and diversifty, the world of physical music is getting squeezed, and although i dont buy that many records ( he says lying to himself) i'd still like the option to do so, i dont really want to get mp3's of everything.

craner

Beast of Burden
You should rename this thread 'The rapid decline of Soho'. I have a long morgue list of valued haunts that have been assassinated during the last 5 years alone. And five years ago the place was already half dead.

I don't think Mark's looking to buy a Rolls out of his earnings. When I'm intending to bring a load of stuff in I usually ask him whether it's a good time - sometimes he says wait a couple of weeks, but he has definitely opened a second shop and last time we chatted , he said business was decent.

http://www.eleventhvolume.com | http://musicinterfaces.wordpress.com

the guy who runs Prime Cuts in Bristol was telling me that business has taken a surprising upturn recently. so maybe its not all doom 'n gloom...

benjybars

village elder.
They still have their office across the road which is a room on the second floor down that alley.

It isn't a shop though. They still operate mail order, but you certainly won't be going in there to listen to tunes.

wait, are you talking about the d'arlby street shop?

cos i bought three records from there last week. was served by tubby and eveything.

really, really hope that sister ray finds someone to take it out of administration.. maybe dissensus could buy it?? ;)

BareBones

wheezy
really, really hope that sister ray finds someone to take it out of administration.. maybe dissensus could buy it?? ;)

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1035827&c=1

17:30 | Monday October 13, 2008

By Ben Cardew

Sister Ray co-founder Phil Barton has bought the shop out of administration, Music Week can reveal.

Barton has formed a new company, Sister Ray 08 Ltd, to buy the independent retailer, which went into administration in July. The sale completes at 12am tonight (Monday).

Andy Pear, from administrator Tenon Recovery, confirms that the sale will mean no job cuts at Sister Ray, which will retain its current premises in London’s Berwick Street.

Barton was a co-founder of the store and co-owner with Neil Brown.

Sister Ray was Music Week’s independent record store of the year in 2007.

mms

sometimes
http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1035827&c=1

17:30 | Monday October 13, 2008

By Ben Cardew

Sister Ray co-founder Phil Barton has bought the shop out of administration, Music Week can reveal.

Barton has formed a new company, Sister Ray 08 Ltd, to buy the independent retailer, which went into administration in July. The sale completes at 12am tonight (Monday).

Andy Pear, from administrator Tenon Recovery, confirms that the sale will mean no job cuts at Sister Ray, which will retain its current premises in London’s Berwick Street.

Barton was a co-founder of the store and co-owner with Neil Brown.

Sister Ray was Music Week’s independent record store of the year in 2007.

that seems crazy to me, i mean it's great that it's still in existence but it's kinda mad too.

Code

I was in London last July and isn't there another shop open in what used to be Reckless ?

can't think of the name ?

and sorry if this has been mentioned already :)

mateito

There is indeed - stuff is quite cheap there, too.

Can't remember the name either, unfortunately.

its revival records, isn't it? sure someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. gave me a reasonable deal last time i went and sold some records there.

the problem with soho though is that the place gets "cleaned up" on a daily basis, always a bit frustating i think.

my local charity shops used to provide the goods on a fairly regular basis, but they're gone. need a good second hand place (bar the mve)...

Leo

nyc

somewhat related: the multi-level mondo kim's on st. mark's place in nyc is having a 30% off "moving out" sale, rumor has it that store will close by january and possibly reopen someplace (on a smaller scale, cd and DVD sales, no rentals) on lower 1st avenue. heard that mr. kim is asking $19 million to sell the building but also might rent it.

used to be able to spend almost an entire day doing record shopping in the village, now you can cover everything that's left in a few hours.

craner

Beast of Burden
Now Shipleys is closing down on Christmas Eve. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I know it's not a record shop on Berwick Street, but I think this deserves the same kind of poignant gloom. Beautiful art books, scraggy wooden shelves, battered rugs, open fire place. To be filled with a cheap bag shop or a Chinese Medicine centre or some shit,

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that Soho's If Music is still around. pop in and you'll likely be the only one there- you'll get handed dozens of things to listen to, different genres. opposite end of the spectrum from Blackmarket buying in 100 identical D&B tracks

S

simon silverdollar

i went to the non-soho incarnation of If Music for the first time this weekend...it's pretty amazing. on the third floor of a block of flats in marylebone. you ring a buzzer to get in and it's like sitting on the sofa in a guy's flat while he hands you records to play on the stereo. a really, really lovely way to spend an afternoon. i could tell it was a good record shop because i went in with quite firm ideas of what i wanted, and then came away with none of them, because the owner's suggestions were much better.