Just what the hell's going on in London?

N

nomadologist

Sure, violence and crime are bad, but the statistics about violence and crime in single parent families with sufficient INCOME and where the parent is EDUCATED don't reflect the same sort of problems you see in the statistics on single parent families whose parents are also unemployed, IMPOVERISHED, and UNEDUCATED. Thus, it is obvious that it is not the lack of nuclear/traditional family unit that causes violence and crime, it's POVERTY and IGNORANCE. It actually IS the case that third world countries have loads more crime and violence per capita than the U.K. does. Loads and loads more.

Which countries have the most violence and crime? The ones that are the poorest and the least educated. Which countries are absolutely desolate war zones where women are killed for being raped and "dishonouring the family" and people are executed at the discretion of local authorities without bothering to do so much as rig a staged trial to give the illusion of human decency? The ones that ostensibly believe the most in the role of women in the home as primary caregivers and men as providers for the traditional family unit.

Your notion that single parent families have violent criminal children because there are not two parents at home just doesn't hold up, even though I think most people want to "commonsensically" believe you. Most people think (this is at the heart of the conservative impulse) that there was once a time (rose-colored glasses in place) when people all had roles to play, values were absolute, and social problems were just non-existent because these black and white, surefire moral values were inherently foolproof.

The most hilarious part of this view, to me, is how ignorant it is of the actual circumstances of our recent past. Christians would believe the Victorian era was morally superior to ours because men and women were mothers and fathers, with women laboring happily at the hearth, fulfilled by her husband's success in the workplace, and by having children without the aid of birthcontrol to guide her reproductive (lack of) choices. In reality, men in Victorian societies often frequented prostitutes and brought home syphilis to unsuspecting wives who, if they survived childbirth as it happened at least once a calendar year (if you were lucky--otherwise you were an "old maid" or "barren" and worthless because women have no value outside their ability to carry pregnancies and give birth, of course), went ahead and passed that on to their offspring.
Promiscuous women were ostracised, divorce was not allowed even under the most heinous of circumstances, lest a woman dishonour her family and bring intense shame on herself. So women and children had no escape from abusive husbands, about whom it was considered impolite to speak so the only reason it may seem in recorded history that domestic violence was rare was because it was highly stigmatized. Women were not the mother-goddesses people imagine, either: women rarely breastfed their own children, and any family who could afford it had children raised completely by nannies, with little or even no contact until they became young adults. Children were seen as little adults who were unruly and alien and needed to be forced to behave even if that meant hitting them or manipulating them emotionally in all sorts of gruesome ways.

And I don't think I need to mention the horrors the first world was perpetrating on the world through colonization. Marriage and the family unit were never the utopia conservatives try to tell us we've "lost."

The only thing we've lost (I would say it's just evolved)--the traditional family unit-- is something that was never in and of itself a success. There was never a "fully functional" society in the way you're imagining. Even those that were *relatively* more successful can't chalk their success up to a double-parent family structure...

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Your notion that single parent families have violent criminal children because there are not two parents at home just doesn't hold up, even though I think most people want to "commonsensically" believe you.

Because you say so, or because you have the statistics to prove it? Everything I have read on the subject so far indicates that kids growing up with two parents, ceteris paribus, are more likely to be well off than kids growing up in single-parent households. Bringing up the Victorian era is a sanguine herring if I ever saw one.

Which countries have the most violence and crime? The ones that are the poorest and the least educated.

I dispute this correlation, too. I will look into it later today.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm certainly not holding up the 19th century, or any other age, as a paradigm of happiness and social cohesion, and I don't particularly see the relevance of (for example) the role of women over a hundred years ago to the present discussion. I'm just talking about the situation in the here-and-now, and it is undeniable that kids (in Britain, in 2007) do better (in most measurable criteria) when brought up by two married parents than by unmarried parents or a single parent. This is borne out by studies again and again. Why are you so antagonistic to this idea? Is it because marriage is 'unfashionable', too fuddy-duddy and old-fashioned for today?

N

nomadologist

Because you say so, or because you have the statistics to prove it? Everything I have read on the subject so far indicates that kids growing up with two parents, ceteris paribus, are more likely to be well off than kids growing up in single-parent households. Bringing up the Victorian era is a sanguine herring if I ever saw one.

I dispute this correlation, too. I will look into it later today.

Guybrush, where are you statistics that prove that income level and education AREN'T factors? I'm doing a google search now, and I've already found tons of information. I'll organize it and post it in a few minutes.

Mr. Tea--you never said that about Victorian era families, but your entire view of the traditional family seems to rest, as conservatives' ideals do, on the idea that in the past we had a "better" family situation in general. I'm saying there are always problems with every system, and it's ridiculous to act as if we've "lost" some sort of edenic

I am antagonistic to that idea because it's people who espouse it who usually are AGAINST social programs that could help correct the problems...

N

nomadologist

http://www.cbpp.org/6-15-01wel.htm

statistics on how children living with single mothers has actually DECLINED in the U.S.

Children living in lower-income families (families with income below 200 percent of the official poverty line) are more likely to live with single mothers and less likely to live with two married parents than are higher-income children. Among children in lower-income families, there was a significant decline between 1995 and 2000 in the share living with a single mother. There was also an increase in the proportion of children living with a cohabiting mother and an adult male.

Conclusion

This analysis of CPS data for the late 1990s compared to the late 1980s indicates that child living arrangements have begun to change in recent years. The decline in the proportion of children living with two married parents that occurred during the late 1980s stopped in the late 1990s. At the same time, the proportion of children living with single mothers decreased.

There were notable variations across racial and ethnic groups. The increase in children living with married parents was concentrated among Black children. While all groups experienced a decline in the percent of children living with a single mother, the decreases were largest between Black and Hispanic children.

Changes in children's living arrangements varied across income groups as well. In the late 1980s, children in both lower and higher-income families became less likely to live with married parents and more likely to live with single mothers. While this continued in the late 1990s for children in higher-income families, both trends ceased for lower-income children.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I am antagonistic to that idea because it's people who espouse it who usually are AGAINST social programs that could help correct the problems...

Well, as I hope I've made clear I'm most definitely FOR social programmes that might help people who've not had a great start in life. I'm not into victimising people who've failed to live in some prescribed 'ideal' way, either - families break up for all sorts of reasons, and if the parents are at each other's throats all the time divorce is far preferable to the ridiculous situation whereby couples stay together 'for the sake of the children', unwittingly doing more harm than good.

I think the most important thing to do is to try and persuade people not to have kids before they're ready, although that's going to be difficult to do when child benefit and assisted housing are so easy to come by (at least in the UK). Namely, how do you convice people it's not in their interest to have kids if they don't have a steady relationship and some sort of income without penalising kids born to people who have no independent way of supporting them?

N

nomadologist

I think it's more important to focus first on social norms that keep men and women from going to college, and especially the ones that make young girls feel like they have no worth outside of their relationships with men. ( http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=63514&nfid=rssfeeds after a study proved that objectification/sexualization of women in the media stunts mental development of girls the APA released a full report on the social impact)

If you could keep impoverished American teens in high school until they graduated, and if they made it affordable and within reach for these kids to get some form of higher education--even if it's tech school or a certificate program that proves they have clerical skills, anything--then they would enter the job market and be able to take of children if they then decided to have some.

The problem in the U.S. is that higher education is simply not feasible for kids who grow up in low-income families. There is no upward mobility for the children of low-income parents, so the children of those children are at an even worse disadvantage. And nothing is done to even the playing field.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Social mobility does seem to be less than it was a generation or two ago, which is worrying.
Your point about girls is interesting, but in Britain girls out-perform boys now in every subject and at every level of school education. Programmes to improve attendence and achievement at school seem to be needed most urgently for boys in general, and black, Bangldadeshi and working-class white boys in particular.

N

nomadologist

Same here in the U.S., girls are outperforming boys from elementary school all the way through college and into the boardroom. When I started reading those stats, it made me understand why chauvinists were so scared of women getting the right to vote and being taught to read and allowed an education--because they must have been afraid of women outperforming men who are supposedly inherently "superior" in intellect. I still think that there's a glass ceiling in place, regardless of how well women perform in school or at work. Why is the wage gap still so huge?

This outperformance can be part of why low-income mothers aren't marrying, and it is if you read that study--they just can't find anyone to marry who is making the same or more than they are, so they feel like having another person in the house is just another mouth to feed that's a strain on the budget. Pair that with the prospect of a male partner cheating on you and impregnating someone, or already having several children they have to pay alimony to (as is the case often in the U.S.), and there are precious few reasons why a low-income woman would ever want to get married.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

From the report:

The mothers that we spoke to were quite forthcoming about the fact that the men who had fathered their children often were not “worth a lifetime commitment,” given their lack of trustworthiness, the traditional nature of their sex-role views, the potential loss of control over parental and household decisions, and their risky and sometimes violent behavior. While mothers maintained hopes of eventual marriage, they viewed such hopes with some level of skepticism. Thus, they devoted most of their time and energy toward “getting it together financially,” rather than “waiting on a man.” Those that planned on marrying generally assumed they would put off marriage until their children were in school and they were engaged in labor market activity. By waiting to marry until the tasks associated with early child-rearing and the labor market withdrawal such tasks required were completed, mothers felt they could minimize these risks and enhance their bargaining power within marriage.

This complex set of motivations to delay marriage or remarriage (or less frequently, to avoid them altogether) has interesting implications for welfare reform. If single mothers have less income from the state, it is reasonable to argue that they might become more dependent on men and men’s income.14 This might encourage some couples to marry, but given the low levels of trust between men and women in this population, and given the men’s labor market difficulties, many of these marriages might well be conflictridden
and short lived. A more likely scenario is that cohabitation might increase, given the fact that cohabitation allows women to make a substantial claim on the male cohabitor’s income. Both cohabitation and marriage, however, might put women and children at greater risk if their partner is violent. In these situations, a separate residence may be a protective factor. Unless low-skilled men’s economic situations improve and they begin to change their behaviors toward women, it is quite likely that most low-income women will continue to resist marriage.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This outperformance can be part of why low-income mothers aren't marrying, and it is if you read that study--they just can't find anyone to marry who is making the same or more than they are, so they feel like having another person in the house is just another mouth to feed that's a strain on the budget.

A very good point, but I'm mostly talking about kids brought up on benefits, i.e. whose parent(s) have no 'earned' income at all. The out-performing women who go off and have great careers tend not to be the ones who have kids at 16.

N

nomadologist

A very good point, but I'm mostly talking about kids brought up on benefits, i.e. whose parent(s) have no 'earned' income at all. The out-performing women who go off and have great careers tend not to be the ones who have kids at 16.

Yeah, but even at the minimum wage earning "low-income" level in the U.S., women are considered more employable than men. This is probably partially because women are less likely to have criminal records.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Guybrush, where are you statistics that prove that income level and education AREN'T factors?

That was not my point, though. I used the ceteris paribus disclaimer precisely because they are factors—even weightier ones, perhaps. However, from what I have read, children growing up with one parent are less well off than their peers living with both of their parents—assuming all other factors to be equal. I will give you the statistics shortly.

N

nomadologist

That was not my point, though. I used the ceteris paribus disclaimer precisely because they are factors—even weightier ones, perhaps. However, from what I have read, children growing up with one parent are less well off than their peers living with both of their parents—assuming all other factors to be equal. I will give you the statistics shortly.

Assuming what other factors to be equal? That's not a valid way of studying populations.

Low-income families are more likely to be single parent families, and low-income people are more likely to commit crimes than are high income people. High income people are less likely to commit crimes than low-income people, as are children of high income families with single parents.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

You cannot assume other factors are equal when you are studying populations--the entire point of studying populations is to INCLUDE all factors. All things are *not* equal, and you cannot statistically or mathematically create a "ceteris paribus" model w/r/t single or double parent families, because in populations there is always income variation.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Assuming what other factors to be equal? That's not a valid way of studying populations.

Low-income families are more likely to be single parent families, and low-income people are more likely to commit crimes. High income people are less likely to commit crimes, as are children of high income families with single parents.

Sure. That is why, if you want to get somewhat reliable data, you have to sift out factors that may skew the results, economic differences’ being sure-fire such. In this particular instance, I would imagine they only compare households which are very similar on all levels except some’s being run by a single parent.

N

nomadologist

If you wanted to level out the "income factor", then you would have to study only families that made x amount of dollars. Say you only studied families with a yearly income of $40,000/year, and found that of the single parent families in that range, their children were more likely to commit crimes than double parent (which I'm not so sure would be the case, because $40,000 for a single parent family is quite a lot, or a decent income--add another adult to the family, and it is a huge strain on the $40,000). This study's results would not be any indication of what happens in THE POPULATION AT LARGE. This is why in studies of populations, you have to have a "variable", x, that stands for the income factor. You have to take into account families of different incomes, or your study's results have no bearing on the real world and what happens in it.

Last edited: