what did you listen to today?

appleblim

as i blog away....

chicken lips - dj kicks
isotonik - everywhere i go *does pop rave get any better than this?!*
altern-8 - picture disc of the album *sounds well dodge but worth it for the masks spinning round*
the bug - gun disease

a little introspection around 2pm.....

neil young - comes a time & zuma
scott walker - scott 4
arthur russell - another thought (jeez this blows me away every time)

then a little mix up includin......

digital mystikz - give jah glory
plasticman - gotcha
vex'd - ghost
mark one - bad mood
geeneus - the journey
dj blazey & ace alani - exorcist (appleblim vip!!!) (had to get that in there! so stoked about that!)
plasticman - the lift
wizzbit - breakdown

yeah!

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
mms said:
sunn 0)) and merzbow on the train to work.

christ above, i hope you don't work in any kind of job where you have to relate to people, given that you gear up with sunn and merzbow! :p

DavidD

can't be stopped
B0002TL6QQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mms

sometimes
puretokyo said:
christ above, i hope you don't work in any kind of job where you have to relate to people, given that you gear up with sunn and merzbow! :p

haha no i don't really, i was just in the mood for completley stripping my brain before i started work.

J

jimbackhouse

The Egg 'The Civil Surface'. Beautiful slightly smug wibbly Canterbury stop-start-abrupt time-signature-change-jazz-prog. Lucky find at the good old Music and Video Exchange. :)

mms

sometimes
how to kill the dj part 2 mix by the optimo people. lots of ace mashed up into a mix on abelton. much much better than the first black strobe one who's popularity i just don't understand.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Still trying to like Streets Disciple and failing miserably - not really sure why everyone's got so excited about this. I'm finally resigned to Nas being unable to make decent albums. Also been listening to the new manitoba/caribou album this morning - pretty disappointed so far especially as Up In Flames was far and away my favourite record of last year but it might need a bit more time to grow into. On the plus side the vocals are much much stronger than last time but overall it seems to have moved towards straight indie territory a bit too much

nick.K

gabba survivor
mms said:
how to kill the dj part 2 mix by the optimo people. lots of ace mashed up into a mix on abelton. much much better than the first black strobe one who's popularity i just don't understand.

agreed. black stobe need editing and optimo oughta release more mixes

mms

sometimes
Telephone Thing said:
Arthur Russell's World of Echo

is that the version i saw in the shops with the dvd?
what's that like,
i have the vinyl, i wanna know what the extras are really.

mms

sometimes
nick.K said:
agreed. black stobe need editing and optimo oughta release more mixes

they need thicker sounds and more bass, all these euro fuckers need to beef it up a bit.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
Can- Tago Mago (remastered)
Butch Cassidy Soundsystem - Butches Brew
Lady Sovereign- Shh! (Cha Ching)
Yadahanai- One Atonement (my FAVOURITE listen so far! lush/lovely roots record...recommended!)
X-Ray Spex - [?bootleg]
V/A- Down & Out! The Sad Soul Of the Black South :)

Re: World of Echo : yes, it's the one with the DVD. The extras tracks on the CD are, to be frank, kind of sketchy, but the DVD is more than worth it. It's a couple of films (by Phil Niblock, IIRC) of Russell playing his cello live- only had the chance to watch one so far, but it's a long unbroken sequence of Russell playing, filmed mostly in closeup on his hands, the strings, his face, etc.

Thanks Nick for the Optimo recommendation- I'm one of those who enjoyed the Black Strobe mix, and the tracklisting for the Optimo volume looks fantastic, if a bit obvious in places. Black Strobe's own housey/disco/whatever productions are usually much more fun than Smagghe's mixes...

And today I dug out the Richard X album (still love it, though the Annie track is disappointing), John Lennon's Shaved Fish comp (bought it to get "#9 Dream" without the rest of Walls and Bridges , and clean CD versions of "Instant Karma!" and "Cold Turkey" outside of some tacky posthumous "best-of" comp...and not too much overlap with Plastic Ono Band or Imagine, either), and TTC's Batards Sensibles album.

mms

sometimes
Telephone Thing said:
Re: Thanks Nick for the Optimo recommendation- I'm one of those who enjoyed the Black Strobe mix, and the tracklisting for the Optimo volume looks fantastic, if a bit obvious in places. Black Strobe's own housey/disco/whatever productions are usually much more fun than Smagghe's mixes...

And today I dug out the Richard X album (still love it, though the Annie track is disappointing), John Lennon's Shaved Fish comp (bought it to get "#9 Dream" without the rest of Walls and Bridges , and clean CD versions of "Instant Karma!" and "Cold Turkey" outside of some tacky posthumous "best-of" comp...and not too much overlap with Plastic Ono Band or Imagine, either), and TTC's Batards Sensibles album.

no worries but im not called nick.
i heard a morris fulton remix of an annie track today and it was totally casual.
i can't wait for the mu album to come out, infact there are a few albums this year i'm desperate to hear and that's quite unusual. one of them is that konono no 1 cd. http://www.crammed.be/konono/
been waiting for that for a year.

was listening to my ipod on non-organised today and had this perfect row of hits of sunshine, it has really made my week, it was so great i wrote them down and i'm gonna make a cd when i get a new burner

mommy what's a funkadelic - funkadelic
wild in the country - bow wow wow
let's go swimming - arthur russell
booty la la - bugs in the attic
woo haa - version by old dirty
summer madness -cool and the gang
funky hi life - ck mann

what a perfect run eh?

Gah- my bad. I must've picked out the wrong name while scrolling through the topic review.

Also: new Mu album coming out? Hot damn. Any links/info?

mms

sometimes
Telephone Thing said:
Gah- my bad. I must've picked out the wrong name while scrolling through the topic review.

Also: new Mu album coming out? Hot damn. Any links/info?

no worries.
its on output, read about it in the wire, sounds right up my street, sort of anti garage (in the old sense)
alot of fun, much more fun than those boring old stick insects kompakt that are currently dulling up hause music. he he he