what did you listen to today?

john eden

male pale and stale
redcrescent said:
I've heard wonders about that Techniques set and obviously that'll have to be poached somewhere along the line!

I really rate that The Crowning of Prince Jammy set,

Incidentially, has anyone heard David Rodigan's Dub Classics on the now-defunct Rewind Selecta label? My gateway into the depths of dub - ever short of funds, I had to pick up that or a Dubhead compilation, and picking Rodigan was definitely a fateful choice! I've been hooked since.

The Techniques comp is awesome. AWESOME I TELL YA!!! :cool:

Yeah "crowning" one of my favourites ever as well. The Maximum Pressure King Jammy one is excellent, but not quite as good as that for my money. I have to pick up the Digital B and Xterminator ones as well...

Yeah! Paul Meme I think has the Rodigan comp - some fantastic tunes on there and definitely the right road to take at the crossroads if dubhead is the other one! (Tho some of that stuff is great, but by no means all).

There's some blurb in the new "sexual health & reggae" entry on my blog also...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
redcrescent said:
Oh man, I had no idea there were 12 instalments of the Super Power Allstars! Thanks!

that's on vinyl- the 3cds cover the same tracks (although whether they have the odd spot of juggling like the vinyl, i don't know.

re: dubhead. i'm still waiting for dubversion's thing on digi-dub, but i have to say since moving to leeds and attending subdub regularly, i've got back into it. there's even some stuff you can listen to at home ;)
(i've been meaning to do an entry on this subject , but have not got round to finishing it). jah warrior and naph-tali's ‘one of these days’ lp is a bit of a classic in our house.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
The Techniques comp is awesome. AWESOME I TELL YA!!!

i'd second that- the best max. pressure comp by far.

the digital b and xterminator ones are not quite as consistent, but have enough stone cold killers to be worth it: shabba's 'heart of a lion', morgan heritage's 'what we need is love', mutabaruka & luciano's 'psalm 24' & sizzla's 'life's road' being examples. however never, i repeat never listen to 'we will make it' by L.M.S. awful....

redcrescent

Right, bwoys, that Techniques comp will be purchased on sight. "the best max. pressure comp by far." That's saying something, matt!

How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation. Been meaning to get all of those, so it's not a question of either/or, it's when and how!

Great piece on your blog, John. Always rewarding to stop by uncarved.

nomos

Administrator
Went to the local wax monger for Run the Road but got dissed. No Canadian release scheduled for this year. :( Maybe January.

Still, I left happy with Dizzee's "Dream"/"Trapped," Lady Sov "Ch Ching," and a slice of darkness - Tango and Ratty's "Tales from the Darkside/Final Conflict."

matt b

Indexing all opinion
redcrescent said:
"the best max. pressure comp by far." That's saying something, matt!

i'll stand by it :)

redcrescent said:
How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation.

i haven't bought any B&F stuff since they went cd only (apart from the satta 7"s), royals in dub- got the 10" which is wicked- vocals/dj version/dub (increasingly i can't deal with a complete dub album). haven't seen the chin-loy comp, but isn't it just aquarius dub and some alternate versions?- overrated imo.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
redcrescent said:
How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation. Been meaning to get all of those, so it's not a question of either/or, it's when and how!

I tend to buy this stuff a couple of years after it comes out because I can find them cheaper then. :eek:

sufi

lala
Seka Molenga, Kalo Kawongolo And Lee Perry - From The Heart Of The Congos

Not to be confused with The Congos' Heart Of The Congos,
this is an album with a great story behind it... In 1977, a
would-be reggae promoter brought some fellows from Zaire to
Jamaica in hopes of creating a new African reggae sound.
Apparently, she abandoned the two Africans soon after they
arrived in Jamaica and left them stranded on the mean
streets of Kingston. Not speaking any English, they had to
beg for money and food to survive. Eventually, they found
themselves at Lee Perry's house and somehow communicated
their desperate story. Perry took their arrival as a sign:
Jah himself had sent these guys from Africa to make a
connection with the Black Ark. Soon after, the three of them
were in the Ark recording the six songs that make up From
The Heart Of The Congo. It's an incredible and ground
breaking collaboration, done long before anyone was
attempting such a crossover, and even before reggae had
become popular in Africa. The result was a thick, swirling,
tribal groove that is unique in the Lee Perry canon. Killers
include "African Roots", "Mutoya Motema", and - oddly enough
- the mislabelled Robert Palmer tune is really good, too!
nfo

sufi

lala
Pansau Na Isna [#] (Pansau Na Isna Is a Great Man)

by Super Mama Djombo

i try to listen to it every day

redcrescent

matt b said:
i haven't bought any B&F stuff since they went cd only (apart from the satta 7"s), royals in dub- got the 10" which is wicked- vocals/dj version/dub (increasingly i can't deal with a complete dub album). haven't seen the chin-loy comp, but isn't it just aquarius dub and some alternate versions?- overrated imo.
One advantage of living in back-a-bush is that your local wax shack still has a bunch of B&F vinyl... I'll check if he still has that Chantells. Why'd B&F quit vinyl anyway?
Addendum: new B&F website launched today, will let registered users d/l full tracks (45 in total). The discussion board is back up as well, apparently.
john eden said:
I tend to buy this stuff a couple of years after it comes out because I can find them cheaper then.
The disadvantage here (in Austria) is that no one ever seems to want to get rid of their quality reggae vinyl (understandably) so all you ever see in the second hand bins are loads of Eddy Grant, Marley/Tosh/Wailers, Black Uhuru, etc. And yes, those B&F sets aren't the cheapest new, so I'd do exactly the same. Cruel economics!

mms

sometimes
autonomicforthepeople said:
Went to the local wax monger for Run the Road but got dissed. No Canadian release scheduled for this year. :( Maybe January.

Still, I left happy with Dizzee's "Dream"/"Trapped," Lady Sov "Ch Ching," and a slice of darkness - Tango and Ratty's "Tales from the Darkside/Final Conflict."

uk release is next yr too mate, chi ching in on it too incidentally.anyone else think of ari up when you hear lady sovreign?

hand on the plow
holiday the vybe: groove chronicles
the flamingoes: i only have eyes for you
Gather In The Mushrooms: The British Acid Folk Underground 1968-1974
own compilation of non-spaghetti western morricone soundtracks

against own volition:
rod stewart
lambchop

john eden

male pale and stale
2003 UK World Clash CD1.

Essentially the top soundsystems in the world playing about 30 seconds of excellent dubplates, rewinding them, screaming "Bloodclaaaaaaat!!!!", referring to the other soundsystems and then saying "suck your mumma" whilst the crowd shouts their appreciation and gives it the old klaxon. For 70 minutes.

It's energetic, but ultimately unfulfilling, I reckon. Sounds like a great night tho... I only have CD2 as well as this one out of a 4 CD set...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
2003 UK World Clash CD1.

Essentially the top soundsystems in the world playing about 30 seconds of excellent dubplates, rewinding them, screaming "Bloodclaaaaaaat!!!!", referring to the other soundsystems and then saying "suck your mumma" whilst the crowd shouts their appreciation and gives it the old klaxon. For 70 minutes.

Yeah, it's great but, as you say, unfulfilling. But get this Dissensus massive -- Eden wouldn't let me sample any of Rodigan's dubplates! You can take respect too far... :)

john eden said:
I only have CD2 as well as this one out of a 4 CD set...
Tell 'em where you got it from... this is waaaaay cool...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
John Bitumen said:
holiday the vybe: groove chronicles
Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!

My abstract 2step mix is still up, quite a nice cut'n'mix of this track and the dub on there.

An awesome transcendent garage track.

Maybe not quite as good as Black Puppet.