films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought that the Great Ecstasy one was ok to be honest. Those stupid long shots show he wants to be Tarkovsky and the pointlessly violent final scenes are unnecessary but it seemed like an ambitious film even if it failed which is more than you can say for pretty much ninety percent of everything.

zhao

there are no accidents
come on, Tree of Life was GREAT. before seeing this film i had no idea that the lives of rich white people can be so deeply moving in such profoundly cliche ways. i had no idea that their privileged private tragedies are connected with the suffering of like, DINOSAURS from turn of the last ice age. amazing use of stock footage, whispering, and befuddled story arc. truly a masterpiece in sophomoric pretension and pure, grade A+ horse shit.

and to drive the point home, the film's inclusion of a few scenes showing the disenfranchised, blacks, and mexicans provided a silent background for the drama of our upper class main characters to unfold. all of this makes it all too clear that the lives of the underclass is filled with common place misery and garden variety pain, nothing remotely similar or even comparable to the intensely poetic, exalted, noble, transcendent and COSMIC suffering of the rich.

all set to a romantic, ethereal and elegiac soundtrack filled with Mahler's operatic soprano solos, emotive pieces from the top 40 Classical cannon, and ECM favorites like Górecki and Tavener. so romantic... BARF

while i always like to see more abstraction in films, and in some ways this one can be said to be pushing the envelope, it ends up as nothing more than a garishly sentimental middle class product just like the suburban setting it takes place in. Hallmark™ Surrealism.

i can't believe how many otherwise (seemingly) non-stupid people are praising this rubbish.

do not, i repeat, do NOT mention The Mirror in the same paragraph, or even on the same page as this supreme idiocy.

when hollywood tries to be artsy it makes me want to dig my eyes out with a rusty tea spoon. i knew we should have seen Transformers 3 instead.

grizzleb

come on, Tree of Life was GREAT. before seeing this film i had no idea that the lives of rich white people can be so deeply moving in such profoundly cliche ways. i had no idea that their privileged private tragedies are connected with the suffering of like, DINOSAURS from turn of the last ice age. amazing use of stock footage, whispering, and befuddled story arc. truly a masterpiece in sophomoric pretension and pure, grade A+ horse shit.

and to drive the point home, the film's inclusion of a few scenes showing the disenfranchised, blacks, and mexicans provided a silent background for the drama of our upper class main characters to unfold. all of this makes it all too clear that the lives of the underclass is filled with common place misery and garden variety pain, nothing remotely similar or even comparable to the intensely poetic, exalted, noble, transcendent and COSMIC suffering of the rich.

all set to a romantic, ethereal and elegiac soundtrack filled with Mahler's operatic soprano solos, emotive pieces from the top 40 Classical cannon, and ECM favorites like Górecki and Tavener. so romantic... BARF

while i always like to see more abstraction in films, and in some ways this one can be said to be pushing the envelope, it ends up as nothing more than a garishly sentimental middle class product just like the suburban setting it takes place in. Hallmark™ Surrealism.

i can't believe how many otherwise (seemingly) non-stupid people are praising this rubbish.

do not, i repeat, do NOT mention The Mirror in the same paragraph, or even on the same page as this supreme idiocy.

when hollywood tries to be artsy it makes me want to dig my eyes out with a rusty tea spoon. i knew we should have seen Transformers 3 instead.
What a demolition. Haha, brilliant.

STN

sou'wester
I thought that the Great Ecstasy one was ok to be honest. Those stupid long shots show he wants to be Tarkovsky and the pointlessly violent final scenes are unnecessary but it seemed like an ambitious film even if it failed which is more than you can say for pretty much ninety percent of everything.

I actually thought the long shots were the best bit. Other than that it was bad acting, lame dialogue, formless but uninteresting story (I could see the ambition with shifting points of view all the time, but it was done so badly it just rendered all the characters undeveloped and boring). Also, brutal kid is some sort of artistic prodigy is just a huge yawn. Liked the pretentious quote at the end, largely because it confused me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I actually thought the long shots were the best bit. Other than that it was bad acting, lame dialogue, formless but uninteresting story (I could see the ambition with shifting points of view all the time, but it was done so badly it just rendered all the characters undeveloped and boring). Also, brutal kid is some sort of artistic prodigy is just a huge yawn. Liked the pretentious quote at the end, largely because it confused me."
Well, it was a while ago I saw it and I can't remember well enough to argue the specifics - I have to admit that the brutal/artist thing doesn't sound good - but I remember being left with a general feeling that I'd seen something that was at least partly worthwhile. Doubt I'll watch it again. But the guy did some other films right? At one point I seem to remember planning to watch them but I don't think I ever got round to it.

gumdrops

the rich have feelings too. anyway, i think TOL is saying that they are about to get wiped out by the rest of mankind like the dinosaurs. this is obv why jurassic park is getting rereleased. in the future we will resurrect the rich in theme parks for our amusement.

zhao

there are no accidents
the rich have feelings too. anyway, i think TOL is saying that they are about to get wiped out by the rest of mankind like the dinosaurs. this is obv why jurassic park is getting rereleased. in the future we will resurrect the rich in theme parks for our amusement.

haha that's... an interesting interpretation...

Gregor XIII

Wait, what, were they rich in Tree of Life? I thought the whole point was how dissapointed the father was with his carreer, and how he because of that had to feel like a truly big man to his kids. Hmm.

I saw Viscontis The Damned yesteday, and it is really, really bad. Camp with bad acting - and even worse overdubbing - yet not enough nudity and violence for it to become truly entertaining.

gumdrops

haha that's... an interesting interpretation...

just saw the new issue of the economist...

20110924_CNA400.jpg

gumdrops

saw the last star trek last night on ch4. the one from 2009. bit ho hum. im not a big trekkie and i give jj abrams credit for not going full throttle cgi but it was really quite unexciting. and i know its a beginnings film, but they all looked too young. kirk esp, who was just your typical over cocky sure of himself hollywood teenager (a genius who of course is wasting his talent!), which was a bit disappointing. also had simon pegg in it which is more or less a guarantee for the crapness of any film.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
The new Woody Allen flick, far from being a return to form, is unbelievably bad. It has some funny cameos, with actors trying to be famous writers and artists. Adrien Brody as Salvador Dali is particularly fine. But the fact that Adrien Brody is cast in a cameo as Salvador Dali gives you, I hope, some idea of how misguided this smug little fairy tale is.

The best thing about it is...well, the bits with Carla Bruni in. I love Carla Bruni. Carla Bruni is the real deal. Bonkers, ruthless, fantastic hollowed-out facial mask. You have to see this in High-Def motion to really appreciate its weightless yet sturdy magnificence. The skull is almost Mughal in conception.

Owen Wilson was a bit like me.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
This thread should include an annual prize for who gets to see and slag off the new Woody movie first.

sufi

lala
astonishingly bad review for tintin the movie:D
Steven Spielberg's adaptation is not just a failure; it is an assault on a great body of art so thuggishly moronic as to make one genuinely depressed.... If your children love the Tintin books – or, more to the point, if they have an ounce of intelligence or imagination in their bodies – don't take them to see this truly execrable offering.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/28/adventures-tintin-secret-unicorn-spielberg?INTCMP=SRCH

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
haha! yes.

just from seeing the style of it on the sides of buses was enough to know.

this 3D/pixar type shit almost always suxx. feels so weird. who wants cartoons to look real? isn't that what film is for?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched it (Tintin) the other day, in France with a Frenchman - he was very disappointed at the liberties taken with the various stories. I have read all the books but so long ago that I couldn't really remember what happens in which one etc so that didn't bother me so much, for me it was the stupid chase scenes (as mentioned in the review) and the duel with the cranes etc at the end that ruined it. The actors were ok and looked right etc and the 3d was ok I guess, you forget about it after a while to be honest.
Interesting to have Tom McCarthy review it, he wrote a book about Tintin but doesn't mention it at all.