films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

version

There's a bit in a boat in the middle that felt like it went on for hours, but the film's only about 90 minutes.

rubberdingyrapids

The life and death of colonel blimp. Overlong, tedious, wartime epic that wants to argue that britain has been playing too by the book in war. Not sure powell and pressburger are for me. Theyre so, so mild.

shakahislop

might just be in a bad mood today, you know the deal, and maybe watching it on my laptop screen isn't the way to watch it, but saw crooklyn today and disliked it. it's a great setting, brownstone bed-stuy in the 70s, but couldn't get on with the tone or the style of filmmaking. it reminded me of keenan and kel, perhaps not coincidentally. i like the other spike lee stuff i've seen though.

there's various objectionable shit in there from the off, a kind of light hearted treatment to child beating and some homophobic bullshit, and then the usual us northern contempt for southerners, all of which is easy enough to overlook, but it's at the start so made a bad first impression

also would add motherless brooklyn to this thread, thought that was really shit, again a great setting (er....brooklyn in the 50s) but just a boring film to watch, and i pretty much was too checked out to understand what was going on. kind of interesting that robert moses is a kind of popular hate figure in the US.

and when harry met sally but that's obvious

luka

i watched double indemnity. not very good. very hit and miss the black and white films. on the other hand i watched casablanca too and that was great.

luka

tried to watch some like it hot, total shit. police academy level of sophistication. theres no way of telling whats going to be a good one. completely random.

luka

casablanca feels like a real film double indemnity feels like a pretend film. there are things to like about it though. like the proto-Columbo claims investigator. i watched to the end. i would say, mildly enjoyed, but not an actual film imo

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i watched double indemnity. not very good. very hit and miss the black and white films. on the other hand i watched casablanca too and that was great.
Casablanca is one of the top examples, in my mind, of films that live up to their hype and reputation. Seen it maybe nine times now.

rubberdingyrapids

What can you do?

At least he didn't make the mistake of describing it as an anti-war film.

that it isnt (war films often inspire that kind of intellectual disengenuousness so ppl can feel ok about liking them). matter of life and death is quite good so i expected something blimp didnt deliver (could also be i was not in the mood for this kind of thing).

rubberdingyrapids

Gotta say, I loved it. And in general I admire and enjoy P&P, think they occupy the top tier of British filmmaking, along with Hitchcock, Lean, Reed and Davies and the like. Loved The Tales of Hoffman, liked The Red Shoes, was pretty neutral about I Know Where I'm Going though.
the filmmaking craft is impeccable but i just dont feel that much when watching their films. but im going to try and watch canterbury tale and i know where im going still in the hope that their more modest films are more to my liking.

IdleRich

IdleRich
casablanca feels like a real film double indemnity feels like a pretend film. there are things to like about it though. like the proto-Columbo claims investigator. i watched to the end. i would say, mildly enjoyed, but not an actual film imo
Edward G Robinson? Yeah might be one to watch.