films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

linebaugh

Haven't seen the new one or Three Billboards, but didn't like In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths. Couldn't stand the sense of humour, like that scene people seem to love where Fiennes calls someone an inanimate object. That twee swearing-type of humour where people think calling someone "fuck nugget" or "shit mitten" or whatever is funny.
Thats not the humor in in bruges the humor is great big fat people and dwarves buying hookers

linebaugh

Theres two scenes that are obnoxious like that, like when they are having a stand off and in the middle of it stop to have a cordial chat about how they are going to continue the gun fight, but the rest is good

linebaugh

Haven't seen the new one or Three Billboards, but didn't like In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths. Couldn't stand the sense of humour, like that scene people seem to love where Fiennes calls someone an inanimate object. That twee swearing-type of humour where people think calling someone "fuck nugget" or "shit mitten" or whatever is funny.
That scene isnt about saying a funny line its about fiennes being very good at acting frustrated but trying to keep it bottled up but you wouldnt understand emotions like that would you you robot

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think "you're an inanimate fucking object" is funny, as a retort to "it's an inanimate object", or rather as his retort to "it's an inanimate object", to her, in that moment, as he says it, in that scene, in that film

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think what I liked about it was Ralph Fiennes, the way he said it, the hysterical inflection on "you're", it wouldn't be funny otherwise, the way he said it was what made it funny, to me, watching it

linebaugh

Just saw the whale. Its exactly what you imagined the worst case scenario for it to be. I actually do recommend it in that way. Id watch it again and play a gane where you take a sip everytime someone says 'amazing'

woops

is not like other people
I think "you're an inanimate fucking object" is funny, as a retort to "it's an inanimate object", or rather as his retort to "it's an inanimate object", to her, in that moment, as he says it, in that scene, in that film
or it was until you posted that

IdleRich

IdleRich
Forrest Gump is on telly, we're only half way through but I can confidently assert it's fucking rubbish. What was everyone thinking? It made billions and won countless Oscars... some sort of collective madness. He should have gone full retard.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I just watched High Society without knowing, until a few minutes into it, that it was a musical remake of The Philadelphia Story. I feel I would have liked the former more had I not seen the latter first, but pretty much everything about The Philadelphia Story was better, in my opinion.

Kate Hepburn > Grace Kelly
James Stewart >> Frank Sinatra
Cary Grant >>> Bing Crosby

And most of the musical performances were pretty cringe, I thought, with Sinatra trying to be hammy and whatnot.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Maybe the best part, which isn't saying much, in High Society was the duet Crosby sang with Louis Armstrong, who had a strange but mildly enjoyable role in the film, playing himself. The song was a sort of ballad about the basics of jazz, as intended for the elite WASP audience.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm watching a film called The Marine - still watching so it's not finished and maybe I'm being unfair putting it in this thread when it hasn't even reached its conclusion yet. On the other hand it's an action film starring John Cena as a marine who is discharged for basically being too hard and heroic. He's struggling to adjust to civilian life where his qualities of being by far the hardest and most honourable man who ever lived are not valued and so he gets fired from a dead-end security job. Things are looking bad for our directionless meathead when luckily his wife gets taken hostage by a gang of psychopathic jewellery thieves led by the guy who was T1000 and he can get back to what he does best - popping eyeballs, breaking limbs, blowing up anything that is still moving and then smashing the living fuck out of the survivors.

The bank robbery scene is so stuffed with cliche I find it hard to imagine that they could actually script and film it - wise-cracking criminals walking away from exploding police cars which are flying through the air behind them causing their lapels to flap in slo-mo from the blast. But the first scene which had Cena just screaming muscularly at the camera as he fired off countless machine gun rounds at some hapless jihadis who were just about to decapitate a bunch of infidels did genuinely have me laughing out loud.