proto dubstep

mms

sometimes
have you not heard iration/aba shanti/king earthquake- it ain't no pleasanty dubby bass- one thing i noticed on friday was that nearly all the stuff played (dmz excepted) only hinted at the power the soundsystem had to offer- y'know that really,REALLY deep, heavy sub, rather than 'merely' really deep, which was the norm ;)

the funny thing is the whole warpy bleep thing passed thru and was influenced by iration and others, lfo went to see them etc, course there was ital rockers etc, mark runs the other system in the leeds centre...incidentally rob gordon makes dancehall now, its funny how the whole thing swings around again and again

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
the funny thing is the whole warpy bleep thing passed thru and was influenced by iration and others, lfo went to see them etc, course there was ital rockers etc, rob runs the other system in the leeds centre...incidentally rob gordon makes dancehall now, its funny how the whole thing swings around again and again.

not quite vice-versa, but almost- mark iration was part of ital rockers before iration steppas and his relationship w/ nightmare's on wax goes back to the '80s, i believe.

mms

sometimes
not quite vice-versa, but almost- mark iration was part of ital rockers before iration steppas and his relationship w/ nightmare's on wax goes back to the '80s, i believe.

sure, they toured with nightmares last year, incidentally. i forgot about nightmares too, it's easy to forget that they did that bleep stuff as well nowdays.
i remember them on snub tv those guys, the similarities between the dubsteppers in attitude, mood.

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
no its not 'incorrect', they've never been namechecked by anyone making the stuff, people try and imply it on dubstep producers but it hasn't stuck. Maybe now the thing has opened up more a scorn fan might be making dubstep, but scorn is not an influence on the dubstep movement, it doesn't sit inside the trajectory of the culture that has sustained or created either, or the development within that culture.
I think any similarity musically is just that, which is something that happens all the time, there is more chance that a kid of 17 would be influenced by the daft idea i came up with in that Prince record thru his dad's record collection isn't there, rather than an obscure experimental industrial techno act , surely?

I'm not really trying to imply anything, I'm just going on the people I've met and working with, while the big 4 (or whatever number) may not name check any of the people that paved the path, and it's a well worn path, before them - I'm OK with that. And Surely not, you'd be surprised, depends who you are listening to I guess but I think you'll see a massive change in the next wave.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
sure, they toured with nightmares last year, incidentally. i forgot about nightmares too, it's easy to forget that they did that bleep stuff as well nowdays.

Nightmares and LFO where massive on Bass, I've got some of the demo's from Boywonder from the FON days, they are so overloaded if you made that bass wobble you'd probably get P and D deal with S and T.

Sandro Galli - Message on ACV (Italian techno label) from 1996

really sounds like Plasticman or Geeneus or something mixed with a little bit of old techno chord business.

It's on his myspace page.

JP Nut

Wild Horses
i've read this entire thread and i'm still not sure what would be recognised as proto dubstep.

are any of the following?

muslimgauze
tricky
smith and mighty (particularly killa)

I think you're missing the point. We're not trying to define a genre, we're ust saying "this old (pre-dubstep) tune sounds a lot like dubstep".

There is no genre "proto-dubstep".

"Proto" implies "original" or "pre-"

john eden

male pale and stale
triphop is to hiphop what dubstep is the grime?

It has the potential to go that way, despite the protestations of its adherents. I've still not heard Burial but it was certainly lauded as being sorta "coffee table" dubstep (possibly incorrectly, I dunno). It is entirely possible that the "gap" will be filled by someone at some point, and/or that there will be a split in the scene as with "intelligent" drum 'n' bass etc.

(Having said that it is also possible that a more "respectable" Grime will also emerge, maybe along the lines of JME's more reflective stylings.)

This is not to slag off the music or anyone making it or buying it - just some thoughts on how the music industry and media can work, have worked in the past.

dHarry

This topic seems to annoy some people; but surely it's only a vague concept/theme, that some stuff made before dubstep actually sounds a lot like it. Its obvious that guys like Skream have never heard of something like Scorn (at least not until recently with interviewers asking them about it).

As well as the dubby stuff some bleak Faith-era Cure instrumentals, Seefeel, Vlad Delay, the last track on the Young Gods first album, maybe Sleeping Bag-type electro-hip hop sounds - a lot of completely unrelated tracks/musics - would sound great if judiciously mixed with the bass levels ramped up - sort of Imaginary/Virtual Roots of Dubstep in a Parallel Universe. (Leibniz would have loved it.) Anyone going to risk a mix (and the wrath of the purists ;-)?

dHarry

I've still not heard Burial but it was certainly lauded as being sorta "coffee table" dubstep (possibly incorrectly, I dunno).
Actually the Wayfaring Stranger remix, while still great, skirts dangerously close to that Moby/Gnarls Barkly/trip hop kind of thing (if it wasn't for the huge kick drum); this direction could make him huge, if largely unlistenable.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Apparently this download has exceeded Dan's limit and can't be downloaded any more. Could anyone else up it? Ta.