BareBones

wheezy
i've downloaded a couple of joker sets in the past which were a bit so-so, but his set at bloc the other weekend was wicked, and his mixing was fire.

BareBones

wheezy
The Jamie Vex'd one? In System Travel I believe.
Or is there some other release by both of them?

I like In System Travel, it's making moves in the same direction as his remix of Scuba a while back. Not quite as good as that one from what I've heard, but good stuff nonetheless.

Need to hear his remix of Starkey, yet another reason to get the D&B show I suppose.

planet mu website has clips of all the new jamie vex'd stuff.

this is the "in system travel" one... for me it's all about "Saturn's reply" on the flip (the first tune from his lucky me mix), really big tune!
http://www.planet-mu.com/discography/ZIQ212

and this is the starkey remix... so, so good
http://www.planet-mu.com/discography/ZIQ235

i've downloaded a couple of joker sets in the past which were a bit so-so, but his set at bloc the other weekend was wicked, and his mixing was fire.

Yeah seconded, mixing really whiney, dissonant synthy stuff together can sound a bit grating.. his tune selection was great though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I find it quite hard to mix in some of the Joker tunes I've got, they're so overwhelming and brash...

Hasn't Kromestar now gone from making coki-a-like tunes to silkie-a-like tunes? I am feeling quite a lot of the bits I've heard from him in the new style though.

mms

sometimes
I find it quite hard to mix in some of the Joker tunes I've got, they're so overwhelming and brash...

thats why they're so fun, they pull you out of dubstep navel gazing, then you find you can mix an old grime track or a rustie, ikonika terrah danjah or some kind of electro tune in.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah hilarious as the ol' Klang9 joke was, it's not really true any more. He's been pretty tight mixing wise last few times I've seen him. Which isn't really fair given his selection, you'd think he'd maybe give other people a chance.

Lots of the Joker stuff is hard to mix, I agree that it does make a really nice change of pace, but the fact reamins that it's quite easy to fuck it up.

hopper

When I spoke to him last he said he didn't really have much in the pipeline, said he in a bit a rut or something along those lines. This was the end of last year though, so hopefully the move to Berlin has revitalized things.
Haven't heard this new remix though, is it any mixes?

Will have to check out that Dusk & Blackdown show, I'm constantly behind the times at the moment. I think this thread and the dsf what's in the shops thread are the only Dubstep things I check now, quite a change from my peak forum time-wasting days.

Was that the end of 2008? I spoke to him september and he said things were going well after a rut, his set at fwd in december completely blew my mind like nothing else. his production has really picked up I think, they're just endlessly deep. sounds like a perfect kind of dance music that's completely timeless, feels like its come from the stone age or something. I can't even remember his set from fwd that well, I was taken somewhere else completely but yeah it was really really heavy stuff. his remix of maxximus is awesome - 4linehaiku you can check a clip with lovely beeps on top here http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=167353.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah actually now you mention it, it was summer not the end of the year, cause this was at free rotation restival in August. How time flys etc etc. Good to here that things picked up so quickly.
Will check that Maxximus Remix now.

powerpill

pretty long he has no myspace. need to see him live again after the fwd he played, i was in another world for an hour

hopper

pretty long he has no myspace. need to see him live again after the fwd he played, i was in another world for an hour

I tend to use this to check http://www.last.fm/music/Shackleton/+events. Hardly plays out, saw him at fabric at the start of last year and it was a really different set, faster tempo and he was playing out his more aggressive sounding tracks - it was wicked but nowhere near as good as the set at fwd. His MAH mix is pretty essential listening, and gives an idea about the live sets

elgato

I just dont know
Hahaha... Boomkat on the Magnetic Man EP:

"For those who haven't visited dubstepforum or just have better things to do with their time, Magnetic Man is the LaptopPowerSuperTroupe consisting of dubstep originators Benga, Skream and Artwork who collectively hold the first three Big Apple catalogue numbers and whose dubstep credentials cannot be f*cked with. So it's quite a surprise to hear them leave behind all the swing, funk and wildout bass-fun of their previous releases in favour of a cold and mechanically over-produced sound strictly for the dubstep ravers."

i hated this on first listen but saw Quest drop it in the perfect spot and it totally, totally killed it, pure machine funk. out of context i still dislike it but in that moment it tore it up (in a very very good way)

this one still kills it, so nutty