Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
EmalKay "When I Look At You" is getting hyped, can someone explain how this is different from all the other synth-screaming tantrum wobblecrap clones? i'm lost...

Heh, I'm guessing it might be the fact that it has a prominent vocal along with the wibbly-wobbly bits that makes it seem different. I kinda hate it though I'm afraid, the main synth riff is just so bad, it's like the living death of wobble, no forward energy, as if it's going to collapse in a heap any second. Interestingly extreme, maybe, but it wouldn't make me want to dance under any circumstances. Joker played it when he was last in Glasgow, and it was the only tune of his I genuinely disliked (and I quite enjoy some of the wobble tunes he drops, like Rhythm or Simple City).

Also - wrt up-thread comments, I don't mean to pick on Ian or anyone else, and I agree there is tonnes of unimaginate, unexcitingly aggy dubstep tunes we could do without, but can we please get past the whole 'girls all only like nice, soft, melodic tunes, boys only like big, hard, angry tunes' thing? It's so long by now, and I honestly don't think it's true of any men or women that I know. If there really are people like that, then frankly they're prob too boring to be worth aiming your music at.

gumdrops

can we please get past the whole 'girls all only like nice, soft, melodic tunes, boys only like big, hard, angry tunes' thing? It's so long by now, and I honestly don't think it's true of any men or women that I know. If there really are people like that, then frankly they're prob too boring to be worth aiming your music at.

this.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Also - wrt up-thread comments, I don't mean to pick on Ian or anyone else, and I agree there is tonnes of unimaginate, unexcitingly aggy dubstep tunes we could do without, but can we please get past the whole 'girls all only like nice, soft, melodic tunes, boys only like big, hard, angry tunes' thing? It's so long by now, and I honestly don't think it's true of any men or women that I know. If there really are people like that, then frankly they're prob too boring to be worth aiming your music at.

This.

Also, anyone know when Greena's twelve on Apple Pips is getting released?

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Standard issue wobble with a bit of gauche emoting for a hook imo..
In other news i hear entirely unverified rumours Magnetic Man have signed an album deal with Columbia

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Someone on grimeforum pointed out that Wiley has now in total been signed to every major label during his career.

IanTheM

Tame Horse

Yeah, but I'm not talking about tunes in general, just Skream's output. He's well known to many completely outside the dubstep scene. People with small music perspectives that have Skream representing everything they know about the genre. (i.e. the boring people you're talking about).

CrowleyHead

Someone on grimeforum pointed out that Wiley has now in total been signed to every major label during his career.

I'm certain that there were several dozen 'See Clear Now's shelved, after he pocketed himself some decent advances.

Semi-Brilliant, if you think about it.

joe.dfx

who knows...
i've seen a number of distance sets and it's always been fairly dull. lots of growly basslines that don't really go anywhere. maybe that's just how he plays abroad though.

thats kinda what i figured.

broke my ankle so i didn't end up going anyway : (

CrowleyHead

amazing wiley keeps getting signed.

Not really. Let's look at it this way: He's a rapper who can make commercial tunes of various musical styles, not just the 'urban' field, he can produce his own material if need be, and he's already self-developed. It doesn't take much for any label to worry about how to market Wiley.

If it weren't for the fact that he (and this is only a theory) just makes bad mersh albums in order to pocket the advance and fuck the label up the ass and be richer, he'd be a perfect fit on a major label. So it's no wonder that labels consistently make the mistake of signing him.

EDIT: Also, I was just in CVS, and I heard Martyn's "Vancouver" playing over the speakers.

I heard a dubstep track, in the middle of a convenience store, in suburban America, while on line to purchase paper towels and vitamins.

I'm in shell-shock.

Last edited:

joe.dfx

who knows...
EDIT: Also, I was just in CVS, and I heard Martyn's "Vancouver" playing over the speakers.

I heard a dubstep track, in the middle of a convenience store, in suburban America, while on line to purchase paper towels and vitamins.

I'm in shell-shock.

that's pretty cool.

i work at whole foods, i was working one day about 2? years ago and heard 'round the world girls' b2b with 'archangel' it was pretty bizarre.

i was hyping it to my coworkers and they just looked at me like i was talking German.

Alfons

Way of the future
shameless plug; did a mix that some of you might enjoy

http://mp3.breakbeat.is/breakbeat/mix/kalli_-_triangulate_mix_october.mp3

tracklist
1. Floating Points - J&W Beat (Planet Mu)
2. Efdemin - Acid Bells (Martyn’s Dark Remix) (Curle)
3. Kode9 - Too Far Gone (Hypno’s too far gone remix) (Dub)
4. Zomby - The Lie (Ramp)
5. Ramadanman - Revenue (Untold Remix) (2nd Drop)
6. Ludacris feat. Shawnna - What’s Your Fantasy (Def Jam South)
7. Untold - Luna (Freep3)
8. Deuce - Twerp Wiz (Ostgut Ton)
9. Wiley Kat - Ice Rink Dizzee Rascal vocal (Wiley Kat)
10. Dorian Concept - Trilingual Dance Sexperience (Affine)
11. Starkey - Gutter Music VIP (Keysound)
12. Rustie - Bad Science (Wireblock)
13. Hudson Mohawke - ZOo00oom (Warp)
14. 50 Cent / Timbaland - Ayo Technology Instrumental (Interscope)
15. Einum Of - Drama Llama (Dub)
16. Pangea - Memories (White)
17. Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo (Hotflush)
18. Untold - Anaconda (Hessle)
19. James Blake - Air and Lack thereof (Hemlock)
20. Animal Collective - Brother Sport (Domino)

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Zomby in brand new "being moderately less pleasant than some other people might be in a similar situation" shocker. Up next: A new wobble number that's not as innovative as an unrelated tune released in 2005.

CrowleyHead

... So I'm the only one who enjoys his belligerence?

I mean, say what you will, I'm certainly feeling like I'm choking under the sudden attention over Joy Orbison. Don't get me wrong, he's got tunes. But they're not... They're not THAT GOOD!