bobbin

What

it's not likely that i won't buy this but... is anyone else a lot less excited than they'd like to be? it all feels a bit preserved in aspic, a bit dusty.

like on the sotu website it says 'pushing the sound forward'! hardly bloody think so, they've been running this sound at dmz for years, people have been moaning about wanting some of these specific tracks for years.

not saying the music isn't great or that it's too old to be worth something, that would be silly. but for some reason feeling obliged to it makes me feel a bit weary almost rather than thrilled right now.

gumdrops

it sounds like its all high quality, but yeah, its more of a souvenir album. i sort of feel like i should buy it, just cos its finally out there, and a nice package, but all the tracks are more old favourites than anything im dying to get my hands on.
a kind of lost dubs thing, just a hell of a lot sooner than most of those sorts of comps tend to be.
doesnt quite feel like enough though.

joe.dfx

who knows...
we'll i, living on the side of globe, haven't heard these out every week for the last three years, so I'm more then excited to be able to listen to and play them out myself.

hopefully the next Mala release doesn't take so damn long.

I want 2 Much Chat!@!!!!111

bobbin

What
we'll i, living on the side of globe, haven't heard these out every week for the last three years, so I'm more then excited to be able to listen to and play them out myself.

that had occurred to me. and it's not like i go to every dmz either. still getting moribund vibes though. probably doesn't help that half of the tunes are so incredibly glum.

it sounds like its all high quality, but yeah, its more of a souvenir album. i sort of feel like i should buy it, just cos its finally out there, and a nice package, but all the tracks are more old favourites than anything im dying to get my hands on.

that's it innit. records are expensive and i don't feel great about buying stuff i'm not dying to get. i get the thing about keeping it to yourself for a bit but if he put them out in slightly more timely fashion, on 12 inches not as a triple pack, they'd be 10 times more desirable in my eyes. don't really know why i'm bothering to moan about it though to be fair.

on a side note, mala could do no wrong in my eyes, until i saw him dj for the first time in ages the other weekend. awful.

denoir

how's the pressing quality?

I dunno, I'd definitely buy this if it had Stand Against War or Education but my budget is way too limited to buy things I'm unsure of at the moment...and I still need to get Toeachizown on vinyl :)

alex

Do not read this.
going to pick mine up from the post office at lunch.Eyes isnt the best mala tune, although pop-pop epic is certainly a winner. Cant wait to play it nonetheless!

Played it and there is only 2 tracks I have been waiting for.

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Picked up Return II Space earlier. All about Pop Pop Epic, Return II Space and Livin' Different. Artwork is great too.

Big up Mala

FairiesWearBoots

I'm expecting mine in the post tomorrow,

I'm most excited about Unexpected, Living different and Return to space,
I like Pop Pop Epic but Eyez has been over-killed imo,

I understand the feelings about this being 'late' but I think Mala is in no rush with anything, his sound is on that deep medi (in the real sense) tip and I respect that he isnt trying to jump on some next man funky riddim,

Did anyone catch his GP radio show? The Chris Ofili inspired track was great

CrowleyHead

I don't really care about either producer as much as others, but...

It's weird that Mala gets to do the 'Digital Mystikz' album. Like... I don't know. I know generally few people really like where Coki went, and how he turned out, but the guy's just as important. It's not like he's ever caught the Rusko/Caspa loathing thing or anything, but I wonder why everybody finds it so easy to just phase him out...

mms

sometimes
I don't really care about either producer as much as others, but...

It's weird that Mala gets to do the 'Digital Mystikz' album. Like... I don't know. I know generally few people really like where Coki went, and how he turned out, but the guy's just as important. It's not like he's ever caught the Rusko/Caspa loathing thing or anything, but I wonder why everybody finds it so easy to just phase him out...

i reckon its because mala decided to do an album and coki didn't, nothing more sinister.

CrowleyHead

i reckon its because mala decided to do an album and coki didn't, nothing more sinister.

I don't doubt that. But still, if it's the Mystikz banner I'd at least hope for maybe two co-produced tracks. Either new or unreleased. As opposed to "DIGITAL MYSTIKZ: MALA'S GREATEST HITS!"

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Coki will have had some influence. He's always going to be part of DMZ. Even if he didn't physically make the tunes with Mala, he's still there.

Mala might never have made the lp if it wasn't for Coki. Who knows what impact he had on it.

I like that it's under the Digital Mystikz name.

"I think the Digital Mystikz thing is a vibe, an energy, a connection that’s just present regardless of whether or not we’re making music together at any particular time." Mala

http://www.factmag.com/2010/04/19/mala-return-ii-space/