Smoking BAN - how do YOU feel?

sufi

lala
well,
after 3 weeks the fug is beginning to peel off the flock in boozers up & down the country, not necessarily replaced by anything pleasant mind, as oppressed smokers leer from doorways through torrential rain, therapists report critical incidents in psychiatric units beginning to decrease, & only one piece of serious violence in the nimby press so far...
all in all i'd say big success really!??!! :)

mcm1c.gif

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It just means everyone's more stoned because they're all smoking weed outside - if you're gonna go outside it may as well be for a joint, eh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I've been in goth bars where literally everyone has been outside, which has proper ruined the atmosphere, and means the Dj is left totally bereft. I wish the weather had been nicer for it, to give it a more pleasureable behavioural edge, y'know? I wonder if cocaine usage goes up when smoking goes down.

I was DJing in Sweden a month or 2 ago and every now and then the whole dancefloor would empty, and then a few minutes later fill up again. I couldn't work it out.
Then the promoter explained that everyone was going out for a fag, and they all do it at the same time. It was really weird and made the night a bit crap for me.

Will this start happening in the UK?

In Glasgow I've noticed clubs just stinking of sweat and farts.
One of the reasons smoking began was to cover these kind of smells i believe....

tht

akstavrh
therapists report critical incidents in psychiatric units beginning to decrease, & only one piece of serious violence in the nimby press so far

srsly? i'd be interested in reading about those two

Lichen

Had a pint at the Blue Posts in Soho the other night. A huge pack of smokers outside, a seat for my friend and I within: unheard of in a popular Soho pub at 7.00 pm.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
I'ld like to see how the governemnt explains the vast increase in death from pneumonia, drowning and trenchfoot caused by making people smoke outside.

DRMHCP

the psychiatric hospital I do work at has a coutyard and shelters on the wards so it hasn't really made much difference...I obviously don't know the set up outside this local authority but they obviously have to make allowances as around 95% of the severe and enduring mentally ill smoke (the sector of society with far and away the largest proportion of smokers) even among unskilled male manual workers it's now well below 50% who smoke

bassnation

the abyss
It just means everyone's more stoned because they're all smoking weed outside - if you're gonna go outside it may as well be for a joint, eh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I've been in goth bars where literally everyone has been outside, which has proper ruined the atmosphere, and means the Dj is left totally bereft. I wish the weather had been nicer for it, to give it a more pleasureable behavioural edge, y'know? I wonder if cocaine usage goes up when smoking goes down.

cocaine makes people want to smoke more, not less!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'ld like to see how the governemnt explains the vast increase in death from pneumonia, drowning and trenchfoot caused by making people smoke outside.

If you have never lived in Canada, you can't really even begin to imagine the reality of that.

polymorphic

Spatt Mendlove
In Glasgow I've noticed clubs just stinking of sweat and farts.
One of the reasons smoking began was to cover these kind of smells i believe....

Yea Dublin is the same. Stinks of "processed" Guinness everywhere, not nice.

Still, I've been off the evil weed for a few years now and the ban means I am less likely to ponce a rollie whilst hammered. Nothing worse than a ex-smoker eh ?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
fag butts in mounds in the streets
I've never understood why smokers don't consider fag butts to be dropping litter. Do they all believe in the butt fairy or something? We had an ex-housemate who turned the patch of ground outside our front door (calling it a garden would be excessive) into a giant ashtray - it was grim...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've never understood why smokers don't consider fag butts to be dropping litter. Do they all believe in the butt fairy or something? We had an ex-housemate who turned the patch of ground outside our front door (calling it a garden would be excessive) into a giant ashtray - it was grim...

It's a 50 quid fine now for dropping fag butts, you get given these little plastic bags called 'stubbies' to put out your cigarrettes into.

martin

----

Yes, but to be fair, why don't they introduce similar fines for chicken bones, bits of half eaten kebab, crumpled up snotted-in tissue, etc. It's not like smokers contribute the worst muck to the streets.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yes, but to be fair, why don't they introduce similar fines for chicken bones, bits of half eaten kebab, crumpled up snotted-in tissue, etc. It's not like smokers contribute the worst muck to the streets.
It's just weird that for the most part, smokers who'd never think of dropping orange peel or crisp packets or whatever seem to habitually drop fag ends without even thinking of it as littering.

don_quixote

Trent End
the anti-smokers are really loving it, one of my friends got a verbal reprimand from some woman for smoking in a bus shelter at 6.30am in pouring rain the other week